Slow Internet/Spyware?

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Bretzky7
All-Star
All-Star

Slow Internet/Spyware?

Post by Bretzky7 »

My internet has been running slow for a while now and I've tried cleaning disk, defragmenting, and just daily maintenance things but it's still extremely slow and makes downloading stuff on xbox live slow as well.

Is there any simple things to do to make it run faster?
My friend was saying Spyware remover is what I need, I was just wondering if that would make a difference, and if so what type of free spyware remover is the best option. (keep in mind im pretty basic in my computer knowledge and skills)

Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
LGB sponsor of Keith Tkachuk

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

layoff the pr0n

Be sure to uninstall any unnecessary programs. I did that to a friends computer and it worked like a charm after that. Her kids just kept downloading crap after crap :lol:
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Lavasoft Ad-Aware
Spybot Search & Destroy

Download them, use them, love them.

My suggestion would be to download and install, get the latest updates (each one has a built in updater), then run them in safe mode the first time. It doesn't have to be ran in safe mode but I think it catches more "junk" that way. You can probably just run them in normal mode after that but I'd do the safe mode thing every once and a while.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

I agree with what Viper said.

I would add "Spyblaster" to the list also,
and absolutely you should add "WinPatrol" also. It guards your startup files, and prevents any new programs starting up without your permission. It is the safety net for anything that might slip past the other programs. I've used all these for a long time, and they work great.

Since you already apparently have a problem, I agree with Viper, definitely do your first scans in safe-mode, since a lot of the garbage out there is designed to prevent anti-spyware and anti-virus programs from accessing their files.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Spyware on your computer shouldn't effect your XBox. Do a speed test on dslreports.com from both your computers and if possible your XBox. If it's slower than your connection is supposed to be, call your ISP.

EDIT: Do the speed test with and without your PC turned on, that would help you determine if there's something on your PC effecting your speed.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie