Get Fined For Wearing Saggy Pants

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Get Fined For Wearing Saggy Pants

Post by cprice12 »

In Pine Lawn … It's pull up or pay up
STLTODAY LINK
By Denise Hollinshed
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
02/14/2008

PINE LAWN — Police Chief Rickey Collins says the day of reckoning is coming soon for those who violate Pine Lawn's ban on sagging pants.

So far, no one has been ticketed for violating the ordinance, which was enacted in November. City officials wanted a grace period in which officers could explain the ban to youths. And, Collins noted, many of the violations are hidden by coats in cold weather.

That grace period will be ending as it warms up.

"This summer it will be fully in force by the officers," Collins said. "We are not going to have a sagging pants task force, but we are going to be vigilant on enforcing it."

Collins said his 19 full-time officers have explained what was behind the ordinance, including how saggy pants could hurt someone's chances of getting a job.

Collins, seated at his desk sporting a sharply creased gray Stetson and a crisp striped shirt and tie, said he snapped a picture of one youth's lowered pants from behind, then showed it to him.

"I said, 'Now don't he look stupid,'" Collins said. The boy, laughing, replied, "Yeah," Collins said.

Mayor Sylvester Caldwell said he thinks the ordinance is having an impact even before its enforcement.

"Right now, I can say they are pulling them up in Pine Lawn," Caldwell said.

He said the citizens of Pine Lawn like the ordinance, and, "Whatever makes them happy makes me happy."

But a reporter driving around Pine Lawn recently saw a lot of evidence to contradict Caldwell.

Several youths passed in front of police cars with their pants sagging. For many, their underwear or skin was not exposed, so technically they were not violating the ordinance.

But Calvin Hayes, 20, of Pine Lawn, was definitely in violation as he rocked down Jennings Station Road, his black sagging jeans with a bottle of water weighing down one pocket and a chain dangling from the other. His underwear was clearly visible.

Hayes was aware of the ordinance but unconcerned about it.

"Until the law stops me, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing," Hayes said. "It's not going to cause me to change the way I dress."

John Woods, 19, of St. Louis, was wearing his pants so low that he was wobbling as he walked into a BP service station to pay for gasoline.

He, too, was aware of the law.

"I think it's crazy," said Woods, who was visiting his mother in Pine Lawn. "I don't see why people can't wear their clothes how they want to wear them. I spend my money on the clothes so I should be able to wear them how I want to wear them. That's the way I feel."

He called the $100 fine out of line.

"I think they feel like it's gang affiliation, but it's not," he said.

Another apparent violator, Austin Johnson, 20, of Pine Lawn, was interviewed as he and two companions entered a grocery. He said the police should focus on serious crime.

"There's drug dealing and fighting here, and you are stopping people for sagging, and you got people out here shooting each other," Johnson said. "That's just a waste of time."

FAMILY VALUES

The ordinance calls for fines of up to $100 for those 17 and older who wear pants below the waist that expose underwear or skin. That includes girls whose low-rise jeans sit too low. Parents of those 16 and under face up to a $500 fine or 90 days in jail if they knowingly allow their children to wear pants in such a manner.

Pine Lawn drew national attention when it enacted the ban. Officials said then that a big reason for it was that saggy pants gave potential developers a bad impression of the city. Caldwell said he's also interested in restoring some family values.

"When I was coming up as a shorty here in Pine Lawn back in the '60s, my grandmother always told me, 'Boy, you better pull those britches up or I'm going to get that switch on you.' I was taught like that. I just think you got kids raising kids now. Where are the values?"

He has a supporter in Lavera Fowler, 56, a grandmother of five and Pine Lawn resident for 28 years. Her husband, Charles E. James, was an undercover police officer in Pine Lawn when he was killed in a drug raid in 1983. Fowler described the ordinance as "very appropriate."

"You talk about indecency and you talk about rape and indecent exposure, and this is a prime example," she said. "Even nowadays, some of the younger girls are sagging, which I think is very indecent."

Brodis Hall, 57, of Jennings, applauded the law and said he has seen young mothers with their toddlers in sagging jeans pinned to diapers.

"They are too small for you to make them sag like that," Hall said. "I just laughed, and then I thought about how pitiful it was. It is funny until you think about what's going on. They think it's cute."

dhollinshed@post-dispatch.com | 314-340-8319
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Get Fined For Wearing Saggy Pants

Post by SIU LAW »

Umm...yeah.

Okay.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

Good luck getting a plumber to come to Pine Lawn now......

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

good lord...does there have to be a law or ordinance for EVERYTHING now?!

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I think it's stupid to have an ordinance for this type of thing.
However...I also think having your ass literally hanging out of your jeans, and having to hold up your jeans when you walk just so they don't end up around your ankles, is one of the dumbest fashion statements you can make.
Just my opinion of course.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

cprice12 wrote:I think it's stupid to have an ordinance for this type of thing.
However...I also think having your ass literally hanging out of your jeans, and having to hold up your jeans when you walk just so they don't end up around your ankles, is one of the dumbest fashion statements you can make.
I agree with you 100%, but to me this is no different than having someone say "It's against the law to not button the top button of your shirt." or "All khakis must be pleated." You can't really tell people how to wear their clothes.

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

Personally, I'm for having baggy pants wearers, and wearers of baseball caps on sideways and backwards, being shot on sight.
But then, admittedly, I'm an old senile bastard.

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

Ruutu15 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:I think it's stupid to have an ordinance for this type of thing.
I agree with you 100%, but to me this is no different than having someone say "It's against the law to not button the top button of your shirt." or "All khakis must be pleated." You can't really tell people how to wear their clothes.
Sadly, that's true....

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

This is a violation of our 1st and 14th Amendment rights. How can this be a law? Seriously?

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

kodos wrote:This is a violation of our 1st and 14th Amendment rights. How can this be a law? Seriously?
Anything can be a law til somebody gets charged and fights it. Do you think Jamal Homeboy is gonna be going to the supreme court anytime soon?

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

This has been fought many times... but usually in response to a school dress code. It actually did go to the Supreme Court. Those black armband kids in the 60s. They won the case.

I can understand a school having dress codes in place, but enforcing something like this for the general public is beyond belief.

Next thing you know we'll be stoning women for not wearing their burkas properly.

This makes me want to put on some saggy pants and sue their asses.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Do you think Jamal Homeboy is gonna be going to the supreme court anytime soon?
Eddie Murphy: The brothers went to court and got educated on the judge. All of a sudden, it was like, "Can you state your case?"
[gangsta voice]
Eddie Murphy: "Uh, yes, Your Honor. On the evening in question, per se, Your Honor... yo, check it out, Your Honor. I was just out the disco, right? Coolin', right? I went in with my girl, right, and my girl starts illin', says "There go Eddie Murphy." Started actin' all tipsy and shit. I said, "Where, where?" She go, "Over there." I say, "(Frank) that big-nosed motherfucker!" I make my money just like him, right, Your Honor, cuz I don't give a (Frank), I ain't gittin on nobody's jobs, you know? So, Your Honor, check it out, right? What happened, what happened then, right? I said, "Yo, what you want me go get the motherfucker's autograph?" I got the autograph for my girl, walked over and said, "Yo, Ed? Sign this autograph."
[pause]
Eddie Murphy: Then Ed said, "I ain't signing a *motherfuckin'* thing! (Frank) you and your ugly bitch!" I said, "Yo, Ed, I'll bust your ass for sayin' shit like that." He say, "Wh-Where, motherfucker, I'll kill-" And he ran over to my woman and slapped her in the face, Your Honor! Then he slapped me and my man in the face, all three of us like the Three Stooges, Your Honor! 12 million! 12!

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

kodos wrote:This has been fought many times... but usually in response to a school dress code. It actually did go to the Supreme Court. Those black armband kids in the 60s. They won the case.

I can understand a school having dress codes in place, but enforcing something like this for the general public is beyond belief.

Next thing you know we'll be stoning women for not wearing their burkas properly.

This makes me want to put on some saggy pants and sue their asses.

That's probably a pretty good prediction of how this law will turn out actually. That area of town people will run out in front of cars just to sue you, don't think they'd flinch at sagging their pants to pick up a check which they were doing already anyways.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I don't agree with it but then again, screwing with these smart aleck hip hop wannabes would definitely have to rate high on the list of duties if I were a Pine Lawn police officer. Somebody smarts off, and it's "Sorry, bro, I guess I'll just have to write you a ticket for your pants while we're here."
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I want freedom from having to see some asshat kid walking up the stairs in front of me and his freakin' pants fall down because they were only up to his goddam knees. I hear at least a half dozen times a day someone telling a kid to pull up his pants because they don't want to see his underwear. I respond by saying at least they're wearing underwear.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

If you had a principal with a pair of balls, you wouldn't have to deal with that, glen.

Am I wrong?
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

glen a richter wrote:I want freedom from having to see some asshat kid walking up the stairs in front of me and his freakin' pants fall down because they were only up to his goddam knees. I hear at least a half dozen times a day someone telling a kid to pull up his pants because they don't want to see his underwear. I respond by saying at least they're wearing underwear.
So the standard for laws is what you want or don't want to see? I am offended by Bluenotes...I think anyone wearing a bluenote hat or sweater is offending me and should be ticketed...see?

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

goon attack wrote:I don't agree with it but then again, screwing with these smart aleck hip hop wannabes would definitely have to rate high on the list of duties if I were a Pine Lawn police officer. Somebody smarts off, and it's "Sorry, bro, I guess I'll just have to write you a ticket for your pants while we're here."
I love talking shit to those kids anyway, especially the white ones. The ONLY time I've ever even gotten a response was when one guy proudly told me "I'm blacker than you'll eva be". I'm white. Whatever you do, do it proudly, I suppose. :lol:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

goon attack wrote:If you had a principal with a pair of balls, you wouldn't have to deal with that, glen.

Am I wrong?
My principal is a female, hence no balls, you're correct.

We also have 2700 kids, a handful of deans and the principal can't be in all places at once. It's the deans that are f ups, not the principal. I think she's pretty damned good as far as principals go.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

I can't see how this doesn't get overturned.