Spiezio released by Cardinals...

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

_Gassoff
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Spiezio released by Cardinals...

Post by _Gassoff »

As per KMOV, this after his latest run in with the law.
_Gaﻛs●fƒ №3 -- גסוף --> webpages.charter.net/gassoff/
Subscribe to the SIGNAL 7 DEEP CUTS CLASSIC ROCK PODCAST at: http://signal7.podomatic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or at the iTunes Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ic/id580050123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spiezio released by Cardinals...

Post by cprice12 »

That's a shame. I liked the guy...but he has issues he can't seem to shake.
Cards release Spiezio after arrest warrant issued
STL Today Link
POST-DISPATCH STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS
02/27/2008

IRVINE, Calif. -- An arrest warrant has been issued by the Irvine Police Department for Cardinals utilityman Scott Spiezio on six charges stemming from a crash in late December.

The warrant alleges driving under the influence, driving under the influence with a blood alcohol content of .08 percent or more, hit and run, aggravated assault, assault and battery.

This afternoon, the Cardinals released a statement saying, "The ballclub is immediately releasing player Scott Spiezio in response to a six-count arrest warrant issued for Spiezio today."

The 35-year-old Spiezio, who missed more than a month last season while receiving treatment for substance abuse, was not in the lineup for Wednesday's exhibition game against St. Louis University at Jupiter, Fla.

“We decided this afternoon that we are releasing Scott Spiezio,” said Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak in the statement. “We hope Scott will continue to seek appropriate help and wish him the best in baseball, but more importantly in life.”

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa told an Associated Press reporter in Jupiter that he did not have specifics on the warrant and had not spoken to Spiezio.

"I had heard there was an incident in California," La Russa said. "I didn't think anything would come of it.

Spiezio's agent, Barry Meister, did not immediately return a message left by The Associated Press.

Authorities in Irvine, a suburb of Los Angeles, provided the following narration of events before and after the crash, which occurred at 12:20 a.m. on Dec. 30, a Sunday:

Spiezio was seen consuming several vodka drinks at a bar in nearby Newport Beach, Calif., and then driving away in his 2004 BMW. Witnesses saw his car speeding, cutting across lanes and crossing into oncoming traffic before driving over a curb and crashing into a fence at Campus and Carlson avenues, a short distance from his condominium.

Other witnesses saw a man they identified as Spiezio get out of the car and run. Police officers who arrived at the scene found the car, with both of its front tires blown, and verified it was Spiezio’s.

Spiezio allegedly went from the crash site to his condo complex, where a friend noticed that he was disheveled and apparently injured. The friend brought Spiezio into the friend's apartment and tried to clean him up, then Spiezio vomited inside the condo, police said.

When the friend said something about the vomit, Spiezio allegedly became angry and attacked the man, "punching him repeatedly and then throwing him against a wall," according to a statement by the Orange County district attorney’s office.

Lt. Rick Handfield, spokesman for the Irvine Police Department, said Spiezio never has talked to investigating officers, who began looking for him the morning of the alleged incidents.

"There has been contact with attorneys on his behalf, and certainly his family knew we wanted to speak with him," Handfield said. "He’s certainly aware of the investigation."

Handfield said the detective assigned to the case interviewed numerous witnesses, from the bar to the condo, before preparing his report, which the department took to the district attorney this week. A judge signed the six-count warrant on Tuesday.

Handfield declined to identify the victim. He said the man "was a neighbor who knew who Spiezio was, and who offered to help. They both live in that complex."

The six counts, all misdemeanors, accuse Spiezio of driving under the influence, driving under the influence while his blood level was .08 percent or higher, hit-and-run with property damage, aggravated assault, battery and assault. Handfield said Spiezio was accused of striking the victim with his fists.

Spiezio’s condo is in an area of Irvine between John Wayne Airport and the University of California at Irvine. Handfield described it as a commercial area in which high-rise condos have been built.

Bond accompanying the warrant was set at $10,000.

Spiezio missed more than a month last season while being treated for substance abuse.

"I was out of control for a while," he said in September. "I learned a lot and I'm ready to start contributing in a good way now."

At the time, Spiezio said he'd been struggling with substance abuse for six or seven months, although he wouldn't disclose the substance, saying "I'll save that for the book."

Spiezio is entering the final season of a two-year, $4.5 million contract.

He batted .272 in 119 games with 13 homers and 52 RBIs in 2006. Last year, he appeared in only 82 games due to injuries, illness and treatment, with four homers, 31 RBIs and a .269 average.

Spiezio, a married father of three who plays in the heavy metal band SandFrog, has cultivated a hard-rocking image through 12 major league seasons.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

The warrant alleges driving under the influence, driving under the influence with a blood alcohol content of .08 percent or more,
Those are 2 separate charges?

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

hugedeal
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by hugedeal »

I think the second is newer. The way I understand it is you can be charged with both, but only one can stick. How they are different, I have no idea. Maybe the second was thrown in for the troll doll that lives on his chin.
Official LGB sponsor of Alex Steen.

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:
The warrant alleges driving under the influence, driving under the influence with a blood alcohol content of .08 percent or more,
just like DUI and DWI are different (or at least they used to be). Where one was not over the limit and the other one was. I had a lady hit me that was charged with DWI that was reduced to DUI way back in 1992.
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

Unbelievable. I mean, I feel for anyone with substance abuse problems, but to piss everything away with an organization that stood behind you and was willing to give you a second chance? :?

I hate reading stories like that.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

So I heard something tonight on evening news about how the same night after this was announced.. A Cardinals prospect at camp got arrested last night for drinking-related offenses. :roll:

I'm getting really sick of hearing about these drunken millionaire losers. You make 5 million dollars a year, buy a (Franking) cab!!

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:So I heard something tonight on evening news about how the same night after this was announced.. A Cardinals prospect at camp got arrested last night for drinking-related offenses. :roll:

I'm getting really sick of hearing about these drunken millionaire losers. You make 5 million dollars a year, buy a (Frank) cab!!

I heard the same thing, which reiterates the point that there is a permissive attitude about this stuff in the organization and frankly in most professional sports. Until drinking excessively and getting in fights, driving, etc is not viewed as some kind of macho, frat boy ritual this will not stop. When sobriety checks are done after sporting events on nearby roads I won't believe it is being taken seriously.

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

tsblue wrote:
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:So I heard something tonight on evening news about how the same night after this was announced.. A Cardinals prospect at camp got arrested last night for drinking-related offenses. :roll:

I'm getting really sick of hearing about these drunken millionaire losers. You make 5 million dollars a year, buy a (Frank) cab!!

I heard the same thing, which reiterates the point that there is a permissive attitude about this stuff in the organization and frankly in most professional sports. Until drinking excessively and getting in fights, driving, etc is not viewed as some kind of macho, frat boy ritual this will not stop. When sobriety checks are done after sporting events on nearby roads I will believe it is being taken seriously.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Braves say Spiezio is "not ready to play," and release him.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:Braves say Spiezio is "not ready to play," and release him.
Wow...that was quick.
Spiezio released by Braves' Triple-A team

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3343515

WASHINGTON -- Scott Spiezio was released by the Atlanta Braves from their top minor league affiliate Saturday, less than a week after the veteran infielder pleaded guilty in a drunken-driving case.

Spiezio spent 12 years in the majors. He was released by St. Louis on Feb. 27 and signed by Atlanta on March 31.

Braves general manager Frank Wren said the team and Spiezio had agreed that he would submit to testing, continue his rehabilitation and report to the ballpark each day prepared to play.

"Yesterday, he was not ready to play," Wren said.

The 35-year-old Spiezio pleaded guilty Monday to misdemeanor drunken driving and hit-and-run charges stemming from a December car crash in Southern California. He was sentenced to three years' probation and agreed to undergo a three-month alcohol program, attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and complete 80 hours of community service.

Wren informed Spiezio of his release Saturday.

"He was appreciative of the opportunity," Wren said. "He and we realized he needed more time to continue his rehabilitation. He just needs more time and needs to be in an environment where he can get the care he needs."

In five games with Richmond, Spiezio batted .333. He has batted .255 in a major league career with Oakland, Anaheim, Seattle and St. Louis.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/