Official UEFA Champions League/European Football Thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: UEFA Champions League

Post by BF44 »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:
F Keenan wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:I haven't followed the Champions' League very carefully, but I do follow the Premier League quite a bit. I just can't stand any of the Premier League teams in the Champions' league.

EPL or SPL?
English Premier League, sorry, probably should have clarified that.
Perhaps we chould change this to the "Official European Football Thread"? 8)

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Official UEFA Champions League/European Football Thread

Post by F Keenan »

I'm in!
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

I watched it all down the stretch last year but I haven't been following as much this year. If you post the schedule I will be more apt to remember and follow it then if I went off looking on my own. I'd love to watch the March 11 game but I'm pretty sure it will end as soon as I'm out of class. I love watching these games.
Official All-Time Co-Sponsor of Cam Janssen

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

Wigan somehow held Arsenal to a 0-0 draw yesterday in EPL play.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:Wigan somehow held Arsenal to a 0-0 draw yesterday in EPL play.
Wow... Wonder if Arsenal were tired from CL play... regardless, hard to hold off Man U with an effort like that....

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

BF44 wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:Wigan somehow held Arsenal to a 0-0 draw yesterday in EPL play.
Wow... Wonder if Arsenal were tired from CL play... regardless, hard to hold off Man U with an effort like that....
I guess they had to be, though their last three EPL games have been draws, with the 1-1 draw at home against Aston Villa being the only reasonable one, as their other draw besides these two was to an awful Birmingham City club. They may be on the slide.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

Kickoff is imminent..... Inter are going to have to win 2-0 to have any real shot. Liverpool get an away goal and it may be over...

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Liverpool win today 1-0. I'm surprised, I figured that Inter would at least score a goal.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:Liverpool win today 1-0. I'm surprised, I figured that Inter would at least score a goal.
Agree -- Inter didn't show me much at all in the first half. Then when the red card is shown, it was all over.....

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

With the result today, four EPL teams (Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) are in the final eight of the Champion's League. I read in an article about Liverpool's win today that its the first time that has happened. Just by odds alone, I'd be surprised if an EPL team didn't win it all.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:With the result today, four EPL teams (Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) are in the final eight of the Champion's League. I read in an article about Liverpool's win today that its the first time that has happened. Just by odds alone, I'd be surprised if an EPL team didn't win it all.
Depends how the draw falls out. I *think* it's on Friday, but not 100% sure. The only other team that has a shot is Barca, unless Roma is better than I realize...

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

BF44 wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:With the result today, four EPL teams (Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool) are in the final eight of the Champion's League. I read in an article about Liverpool's win today that its the first time that has happened. Just by odds alone, I'd be surprised if an EPL team didn't win it all.
Depends how the draw falls out. I *think* it's on Friday, but not 100% sure. The only other team that has a shot is Barca, unless Roma is better than I realize...
I hate to tell ya'll but the new dynamic duo of Stevie G & Torres are takin' the Reds all the way to Moscow! We've been on an absolute tear the last three weeks or so and I don't see Torres slowing down any time soon! The side is looking to be in great form. I'm really hoping for our 6th title! Should have won it last year but they just came out so uninspired in the first half (and I guess we owed AC for the Istanbul miracle).

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

strocklen083 wrote:
BF44 wrote:
I hate to tell ya'll but the new dynamic duo of Stevie G & Torres are takin' the Reds all the way to Moscow! We've been on an absolute tear the last three weeks or so and I don't see Torres slowing down any time soon! The side is looking to be in great form. I'm really hoping for our 6th title! Should have won it last year but they just came out so uninspired in the first half (and I guess we owed AC for the Istanbul miracle).

I suppose out of the EPL teams to win it, I would hate Liverpool the least. Plus, after that awful showing last year, they'd better be playing with more fire.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:
strocklen083 wrote:
BF44 wrote:

I suppose out of the EPL teams to win it, I would hate Liverpool the least. Plus, after that awful showing last year, they'd better be playing with more fire.
Didn't Liverpool just lose to a 2nd division Barnsley team????

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

BF44 wrote: Didn't Liverpool just lose to a 2nd division Barnsley team????
Indeed they did. I believe that was three weeks ago and that goal came in stoppage time. This was a match where Rafa under estimated the opponent and but a 1/2 ass squad out there to compete. The keeper should have stopped that shot but that's what you get when you don't play Pepe Reina! I doubt Rafa will make that mistake again.

As a side note, I do believe this was the Saturday before the 1st Leg tie with Inter. So Gerrard, Torres, and Reina sat out the match and Benitez paid dearly for that. As much as an FA Cup would have been to make up for the poor record in the Premiership everyone knows Champions League is the cream of the crop when it comes to trophies. So by playing those guys against Barnsley would have meant they wouldn't be available or wouldn't be in top condition for the 1st Leg with Inter.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

Champions League draw

Quarter-finals -- first leg on April 1-2 and return leg on April 8-9

Arsenal (ENG) v Liverpool (ENG)

AS Roma (ITA) v Manchester United (ENG)

Schalke 04 (GER) v Barcelona (ESP)

Fenerbahce (TUR) v Chelsea (ENG)

Semi-finals -- April 22/23 and April 29/30

Arsenal (ENG)/Liverpool (ENG) v Fenerbahce (TUR)/Chelsea (ENG)

Schalke 04 (GER)/Barcelona (ESP) v AS Roma (ITA)/Manchester United (ENG)

Final - Moscow May 24

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

BF44 wrote:Champions League draw

who wants to go?!

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

strocklen083 wrote:
BF44 wrote:Champions League draw

who wants to go?!
Man... if I could....

Btw... in between the two matches, Arsenal and Liverpool also play an EPL match....

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

BF44 wrote: Btw... in between the two matches, Arsenal and Liverpool also play an EPL match....
yeah, I saw that. Depending on how that 1st leg goes and where everyone sits in the standings, that league match could be a game of subs and 2nd team players.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: UEFA Champions League

Post by section319 »

OS wrote:Curt, please add a "Soccer Sucks" smiley. K thanks.

I don't know if you're aware or not but your avatar is from a kid at soccer game in Holland.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.