Talbot rewarded with a two-year NHL contract soon.

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

majikle
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Talbot rewarded with a two-year NHL contract soon.

Post by majikle »

Field horse or franchise on the rise?
Dave Eminian
Sports
Tuesday, March 18, 2008

There are dark clouds hovering over the Peoria Rivermen playoff picture these days.
But one of the silver linings to the 2007-08 season has been rookie center-left wing Julian Talbot, who has notched 20 goals and emerged as a real NHL prospect.

Talbot came to training camp as a long shot amid one of the deepest, and most talented forward groups Peoria has ever had. He was projected to spend the season at ECHL Alaska.

Instead, he is one of the top three or four rookies in the AHL.

And the parent club St. Louis Blues are going to reward him, very soon, with a two-year NHL contract. His signing is imminent, likely before the team plays again Friday.

Talbot has worked his way up the depth chart past veterans like Mike Glumac, Martin Kariya and Charles Linglet, and if he progresses next fall he could get a shot with the Blues.
http://pjstar.com/stories/031808/DAV_BG39GVME.080.php

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Talbot rewarded with a two-year NHL contract soon.

Post by glen a richter »

I should know this but I don't.... how did the Blues come about getting Talbot? I read somewhere he was an undrafted FA, same deal as Wagner.

Ture or flase?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Habit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Habit »

glen a richter wrote:I should know this but I don't.... how did the Blues come about getting Talbot? I read somewhere he was an undrafted FA, same deal as Wagner.

Ture or flase?
His big bro was recruited by Davis Payne and played for Alaska for a few years (left this year to play in England). Julian came to play in Alaska last year to play with Joe, his brother, and got a tryout with Peoria based on that I would assume. Linglet was another Payne recruited standout for Alaska.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

OK. I saw he had some time with the Providence Bruins so I didn't know if he was a Blues original or if he'd been a product of Boston and traded later on.

Habit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Habit »

glen a richter wrote:OK. I saw he had some time with the Providence Bruins so I didn't know if he was a Blues original or if he'd been a product of Boston and traded later on.
Nah, he got a cup of coffee in Providence because both Davis Payne and current Aces head coach Keith McCambridge both have connections with the baby-B's.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Thanks for the info

majikle
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by majikle »

Here's what an archived article from the PJStar had to say.....
PEORIA - JulianTalbot was supposed to be a call-up for the Peoria Rivermen this season, a fill-in center for an AHL powerhouse loaded with experience and skill at forward.

Then the parent club St. Louis Blues made him a call - literally - phoning him 24 hours before the annual Prospects Tournament at Traverse City, Mich., to invite him to that event.

Sitting in Wahnapitae, Ontario - on the eastern edges of Sudbury, where the youngest of four Talbot boys grew up skating on his family's outdoor rink - he quickly accepted the invitation delivered for the Blues by ECHL Alaska coach Keith McCambridge.

"I was just waiting for the Rivermen camp, had nothing else to do," the 5-foot-11, 180-pound Talbot said. "I looked at St. Louis' roster and Peoria's likely roster and knew it would be a battle to even get on the Rivermen team."

The undrafted 22-year-old played well at Traverse City. The Blues invited him to their main NHL camp. He played well there, too, and was sent down to Peoria. He stood out in the Rivermen AHL camp, and has gained a foothold here.

http://infoweb.newsbank.com/iw-search/w ... ueryname=3

Carl Racki
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Carl Racki »

I find it hard to believe that Talbot will ever be a contributor to the Blues, but I guess stranger things have happened...

majikle
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by majikle »

Time will tell...that's for sure. I can see him coming in to camp this fall ready to prove that the Blues didnt make a mistake. Look for him to be one of the last cuts going to Peoria. Might even get a few games in at the start of the season in StLouis. Good luck to him...but wouldnt mind him having another year like the one he has had in Peoria. :okman:

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

What kind of player is he?
playmaker? - get your nose dirty going to the net? - finesse player?

dugoutAK
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by dugoutAK »

barnburner wrote:What kind of player is he?
playmaker? - get your nose dirty going to the net? - finesse player?
He can do all three, just as big brother Joe could. Julian just has more size. Neither is afraid to drop the gloves with anyone either. I watched Joe pummel a 6'4" player in Alaska....all 5'9" of him!
"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie." - Brett Hull

Reality_Czech
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Reality_Czech »

Carl Racki wrote:I find it hard to believe that Talbot will ever be a contributor to the Blues, but I guess stranger things have happened...
I've seen quite a few Rivermen games this year, and I see Talbot and Chris Porter as mainstays on the Blues' third line within three years.

R_C

majikle
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by majikle »

Talbot already with 2 goals in the first period in Friday's game vs Lake Erie.

Bishop in goal.

majikle
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by majikle »

Talbot with a hat trick.
His 2nd of the season.