FIRED: Rivermen coach Baseggio

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

majikle
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by majikle »

PEORIA — The St. Louis Blues have fired Peoria Rivermen head coach Dave Baseggio.
The Rivermen went 38-33-9 and finished seventh in the West Division, missing the playoffs for the second consecutive season under Baseggio.

Blues general manager Larry Pleau and St. Louis director of pro scouting Kevin McDonald arrived in Peoria on Wednesday morning to meet with Baseggio and make the move.

It is believed Baseggio has been offered a scouting position in the Blues organization. Sources also believe Rivermen assistant coach Davis Payne is the most likely candidate to be the next Rivermen head coach.

“I’m disappointed,” said Baseggio as he cleaned out his office. “I thank the organization. I guess it’s time for me to move forward. I don’t want to say much else because anything else I’d say now would just be viewed as a fired coach crying.”
http://www2.pjstar.com/index.php?/eminian/

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: FIRED: Rivermen coach Baseggio

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Please, let murray be the replacement so I don't have to change my sig.

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

Scott Mellanby anyone?

blueline
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by blueline »

Payne certainly has the credentials. I would still give Asst. Coach Brent Thompson the nod. He has the fire and discipline that these young underachieving prospects need. He has had his time in the NHL and has long been a mentor to prospects as a AHLer.... He needs a look IMO

LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by 210 »

I'm trying to word this so I don't sound like an ass, but every way I word it makes it seem like I'm being one...and that's not my intent. So I'm just going to come right out and ask.

Have the Blues ever had a "successful" AAA franchise...meaning a deep playoff run? In Worcester they never got out of the second round...have they ever?

blueline
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by blueline »

That is a good point. I didn't follow as close in Worcester. But didn't they seem to always fade in the last month or two?

LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by 210 »

blueline wrote:That is a good point. I didn't follow as close in Worcester. But didn't they seem to always fade in the last month or two?
Historically the IceCats always seemed to have a tough February. Then they'd get it back together as the playoffs approached, only to fall flat on their face in the post season. They won only one best of seven series in their history, and then got swept in the next round.

Even in 00-01 when they had the best record in the AHL they couldn't escape the second round, losing in game seven in OT.

majikle
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by majikle »

This past season's Rivermen roster was the most exciting group of players I have seen put together....yet they were the most under achieving team for some reason. Could is all be as simple as "developing players / teaching them the Blues system" as opposed to really wanting to put a winning team on the ice?

LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by 210 »

majikle wrote:This past season's Rivermen roster was the most exciting group of players I have seen put together....yet they were the most under achieving team for some reason. Could is all be as simple as "developing players / teaching them the Blues system" as opposed to really wanting to put a winning team on the ice?
It could be, but even in the two seasons in Worcester where they were one of the top teams in the league they still couldn't get anywhere in the playoffs.

New division, new conference, same story.

blueline
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by blueline »

The Rivermen signed guys like Trent Whitfield and Jean Guy Trudel and Alex Brooks to bring in heart and character for the young prospects. These are the same guys that behind closed doors will tell you which of the prospects or draft picks will pan out in the system and which already act like they should have a jersey raising ceremony.

Those players and coaches want to get into the playoffs. The playoff dividends are to good not to make the playoffs.

Kyle1512
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Kyle1512 »

The Blues had success in the IHL and CHL with it's AAA affiliates. Rivermen won 2 Turner Cups in the IHL and the Kansas City Blues won a cup in the CHL in 76-77. Blues had minor league players with the Salt Lake Golden Eagles that did win a CHL championship, those players did play for other NHL teams between callups. Looks like it was more of a loose affiliation from 77-83.

majikle
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by majikle »

From this morning's PJStar.....
The Blues say they have no timeline on a replacement. But NHL and AHL sources believe Rivermen assistant coach Davis Payne will likely be Peoria's next head coach. Payne was runner-up in the original coaching search in which the Blues hired Baseggio. It's possible St. Louis will play for some time in the hiring process in the event a high-profile candidate unexpectedly becomes available.
http://pjstar.com/stories/041708/RIV_BGC5V07G.074.php

majikle
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by majikle »

OK...curiously interesting
The Blues fired Peoria Rivermen coach Dave Baseggio on Wednesday but have not told Baseggio or the media the reason for his dismissal.

*snip*

Blues general manager Larry Pleau and Peoria GM Kevin McDonald informed Baseggio of his termination Wednesday morning. Blues President John Davidson said that it could be days or weeks before they provide Baseggio with any particulars regarding their decision.

"We're not saying much other than it was time for a change there," Davidson said. "To be perfectly honest, I haven't had a chance to talk to Dave. Other than being told it's a dismissal, I want to wait until everything settles down to talk to him ... out of common courtesy. We haven't decided who's going in there yet."
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument