Todd Wellemeyer: NL Pitcher of the Month for May

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Todd Wellemeyer: NL Pitcher of the Month for May

Post by dmiles2186 »

I thought this deserved its own thread, seeing as the guy was released by the Royals just over a year ago. Article has a few other pieces of info that I thought was interesting to share, as well.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Notes: Wellemeyer's month
By Derrick Goold
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
06/03/2008

About 54 weeks after the Cardinals fished him off the waiver wire — a discard from the Kansas City Royals — Todd Wellemeyer was voted the best pitcher in the National League for May. The righthander received the monthly award, which is voted on by reporters around the league, on Monday. Wellemeyer credited his turnaround to "consistent opportunity."

Wellemeyer went 4-0 with a 2.19 ERA, allowing 28 hits and 11 runs (nine earned) in six starts during May. Since he made his first major-league start on May 31, 2007, Wellemeyer has a 3.16 ERA, sixth best in the NL during that span.

Turning Wellemeyer into a starter was "totally (pitching coach Dave Duncan's) idea," manager Tony La Russa said. "I had nothing to do with it. Now that it's worked, I'll probably start including myself (in the credit) a lot more."

WORRELL'S DELIVERY

Joe Mather, a teammate of Mark Worrell's at several levels in the minor leagues, had one word for the righthander's delivery: awkward.

Worrell, promoted Sunday from Class AAA, prefers "unorthodox" to describe his mechanics. As he begins his delivery, Worrell bends over and then springs up to throw sidearm while stepping almost toward first base. It's a quirky delivery that can befuddle righthanded batters. La Russa said he wouldn't hesitate to use Worrell against lefthanded batters as well.

"In the end, his success is the ball on the edge and not the middle of the plate," La Russa said. "Just because he's new and a little strange, it won't last long if he doesn't throw strikes."

SCOREBOARD OFF

The signage above the center field hitters' backdrop at Busch Stadium was turned off for Monday night's game to avoid any technical glitches that could delay the game. "We don't want to take any chances," a Cardinals stadium official said.

During the fifth inning of Sunday's game the signage continued showing an advertisement instead of the all black it is supposed to be during play. The game was delayed 13 minutes.

EXTRA BASES

Center fielder Rick Ankiel had some skid-mark scabs from his diving catch at the warning track Sunday. Ankiel's left hand was chewed up, but he didn't have trouble swinging a bat during warm-ups Monday. ... La Russa announced rookie Mike Parisi as Thursday's starter against the Nationals.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Todd Wellemeyer: NL Pitcher of the Month for May

Post by stlmark »

Much deserved. I didn't trust him before the year started. Shows that I don't know poo.
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka