Scott Kalitta dies in drag racing accident

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Scott Kalitta dies in drag racing accident

Post by Kreegz2 »

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Kalitta was killed when his Funny Car burst into flames and crashed during the 4th and final round of qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park. Kalitta’s car was traveling at around 300 miles per hour when the engine of his funny car exploded into flames.

Slow motion replay of the run shows something goes wrong with the engine as the exhaust on the left side of the car appears amiss. When the engine let go, it exploded creating a fireball and breaking the car body in half around the hood and windshield area. The body lifted off the car in flames and flew back as the car continued down the track. Replay shows a continued fire as the car slowed slightly but not enough. The parachutes were torched and did little to stop the car. The car continued down the track, went through the sand, over some dirt, through a fence, and hit the wall shooting the car into the air into hundreds of pieces. An immediate fireball enveloped the car as part landed in the woods and part appears to land on the camera tower. [1]

The NHRA said on Kalitta's passing that “Scott shared the same passion for drag racing as his legendary father, Connie. He also shared the same desire to win, becoming a two-time series world champion. He left the sport for a period of time, to devote more time to his family, only to be driven to return to the drag strip to regain his championship form."
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Re: Scott Kalitta dies in drag racing accident

Post by Ruutu15 »

NHRA is the only racing that I really enjoy. Living in Indy, I have had the chance to go to the US Nationals for the past 5 years, and it's always a good time. The drivers are all like your best friend when you go down in the pit areas to talk to them, very personable. Kalitta was a good driver, and may he rest in peace.

IGotTheBlues12
Prospect
Prospect

Re: Scott Kalitta dies in drag racing accident

Post by IGotTheBlues12 »

I didn't watch the videos posted. I saw it once on T.V. and that was enough for me. Rest In Peace Scott you will be missed.