Best band from each state

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Best band from each state

Post by ksbluesfan »

OS wrote:
goon attack wrote:
OS wrote:LOL, Aode is a metal head. How does that make you guys feel?
Just out of curiosity, what kind of music do you like?
Pretty much a little bit of everything. There's even some metal that I do like, just not the stuff that sounds like a constipated demon "singing" in a never-before-heard foreign language.
Since OS won't name bands specifically, I will note that "OS" stands for Omaha Stylee, which is also a song by 311. Linkin Park and some rap artists have been mentioned in the past too. The kind of music you'd expect high school girls to listen to.

The "never-before-heard foreign language" was either French in the case of Mütiilation or English for all of the other bands I listed. Behemoth might use Polish or Latin from time to time, and Morbid Angel uses Sumerian once in a while.

Did you know that Kelly Shaefer of Atheist was one of 6 singers considered by Velvet Revolver?

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

He didn't ask me what bands I listen to. He asked me what kind of music I listen to. Since I listen to some classic rock (Aerosmith, Skynard, Steve Millar Band, etc.), some alternative rock (311, Sublime, Gravity Kills, etc.), some rap (2Pac, Biggie, Bone, etc.), some pop (BEP, Robin Thicke, most anything Timblaland produces), some old school hip hop (Paperboy), some music that I consider to be metal (older Metallica), and even some country, I figured that 'a little bit of everything' qualified.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

Not surprisingly, North Dakota sucks for music. They've produced a few notable solo artists like Johnny Lang, but not so much for bands. Here's a list of current bands from there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_No ... cal_groups" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm tempted to use the band Hot Karl for the list just because they have the best name. :lol:
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I've never heard of any of those bands
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

big d note wrote:Not surprisingly, North Dakota sucks for music. They've produced a few notable solo artists like Johnny Lang, but not so much for bands. Here's a list of current bands from there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_No ... cal_groups" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm tempted to use the band Hot Karl for the list just because they have the best name. :lol:
Can someone please tell me what "blackened death metal" is?

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

OS wrote:
big d note wrote:Not surprisingly, North Dakota sucks for music. They've produced a few notable solo artists like Johnny Lang, but not so much for bands. Here's a list of current bands from there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_No ... cal_groups" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm tempted to use the band Hot Karl for the list just because they have the best name. :lol:
Clearly death metal with black metal touches.

rebelmusic
All-Star
All-Star

Post by rebelmusic »

SIU LAW wrote:
OS wrote:
big d note wrote:Not surprisingly, North Dakota sucks for music. They've produced a few notable solo artists like Johnny Lang, but not so much for bands. Here's a list of current bands from there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_No ... cal_groups" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm tempted to use the band Hot Karl for the list just because they have the best name. :lol:
So what are the differences between black metal and death metal? Please don't go to Wikipedia for an explanation either.
Proud LGB Sponsor of my junk!

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

rebelmusic wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
OS wrote:
big d note wrote:Not surprisingly, North Dakota sucks for music. They've produced a few notable solo artists like Johnny Lang, but not so much for bands. Here's a list of current bands from there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_No ... cal_groups" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm tempted to use the band Hot Karl for the list just because they have the best name. :lol:
So what are the differences between black metal and death metal? Please don't go to Wikipedia for an explanation either.
Vocal and songwriting approaches. Black metal can also have more orchestration. Neither is really my thing.

TC could really break it down for you.

If you are into metal, they are really distinct subgenres.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

Death metal seems to have almost exclusively cookie monster vocals, whereas black metal incorporates more high-pitched screechy singing that I can't get into at all. There's an emphasis on low production quality for black metal, which makes it more kvlt.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

SIU LAW wrote:
OS wrote:
big d note wrote:Not surprisingly, North Dakota sucks for music. They've produced a few notable solo artists like Johnny Lang, but not so much for bands. Here's a list of current bands from there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_No ... cal_groups" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm tempted to use the band Hot Karl for the list just because they have the best name. :lol:
Is it anything like the blackened chicken sandwich at TGI Fridays>

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

OS wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
OS wrote:
big d note wrote:Not surprisingly, North Dakota sucks for music. They've produced a few notable solo artists like Johnny Lang, but not so much for bands. Here's a list of current bands from there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_No ... cal_groups" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm tempted to use the band Hot Karl for the list just because they have the best name. :lol:
Is it anything like the blackened chicken sandwich at TGI Fridays>
I am guessing there is less face paint at TFI Fridays.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Maybe. But I bet there's more flair.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

OS wrote:Maybe. But I bet there's more flair.
I'm sure you could attach some flair to those spiked armbands.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Black metal has a heavier focus on atmosphere. The vocals are more of a screech than a growl, and the guitars use a technique called tremelo picking where one note is picked as quickly as possible for several measures.

Death metal is typically more aggressive. The vocals are usually growled (cookie monster vocals), and there are more guitar solos. Death metal is closer to the early thrash of Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax with brutal vocals and a focus on death.

There really aren't that many well known black metal artists. Burzum, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Immolation and Emperor are the most famous. There are several lesser known black metal groups such as Negura Bunget, Summoning and the whole Les Légions Noires which includes Mütiilation and several other French bands. The black metal scene in this country was pretty weak. In many ways, this music is meant to help you look at the darkness within you and reject the status quo, particularly the Christian power structure. In other ways, it's meant to scare the shit out of you.

Death metal is far more popular today, and many of the early black metal groups now play death metal. Death metal is being split into subcategories these days such as technical death metal (Crytospsy, Nile, Pestilence), symphonic death metal (Therion, Epica, Haggard), and Gothenburg (or melodic) death metal (In Flames, At The Gates, Amon Amarth). Personally, I'm not wild about symphonic or melodic death metal. I'm partial to the original form of death metal (Atheist, Death, Morbid Angel, Immolation, Incantation, etc) and technical death metal.

Blackened death metal typically has the music of death metal and the vocals of black metal. Tremelo picking is used more than traditional death metal too. A lot of bands that started off as black metal, but changed to death metal fall into this category.

There are many other forms of metal such as traditional heavy metal, groove metal, speed metal, thrash, power metal, drone, doom, stoner metal, folk metal, viking metal, grindcore, deathcore, gorecore, mallcore, and so on.

It took me a long time to understand this. I was a heavy metal fan in the 1980s, but got sidetracked in college to indie stuff, and later grunge. I decided to get back to my metal roots because I was sick of all of that whiny crap that passes as metal today (Staind, Korn, Bush, etc), the garage scene (White Stripes, The Strokes, etc), today's "punk" (I use that term loosely) and everything that gets played on the radio. I was shocked to find out how much great metal came out while I wasn't paying attention. Whole genres have lived and died in that time, and I missed it.

I've gotten to be somewhat of a metal snob, but I still listen to most of my CDs, from Tool to The Pixies and from The Bad Brains to Lynyrd Skynyrd. There are a lot of things in metal that annoy me. I don't want to ever hear a pig squeal in another song. That has been completely overdone. Breakdowns are completely pointless too. For crying out loud, if you're going to do something like that, please do something more interesting than "chug chug, chug chug, chug chug" for a full minute. And if your production quality is shit, it better be due to the fact that you had no budget and were recording on a 4 track in your basement. It doesn't add atmosphere, it just sounds like crap. Overly dramatic, opera vocals suck too. If I wanted opera, I would listen to Rossini or Mussorgsky.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

OS wrote:
You've had blackened chicken, right? Same seasonings.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

ksbluesfan wrote: Did you know that Kelly Shaefer of Atheist was one of 6 singers considered by Velvet Revolver?
I didn't think that someone else on this board would know that, hah. I am obsessed with Atheist. Such a great band, and puts on a hell of a live show, even today.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

OS wrote:
big d note wrote:Not surprisingly, North Dakota sucks for music. They've produced a few notable solo artists like Johnny Lang, but not so much for bands. Here's a list of current bands from there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_No ... cal_groups" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm tempted to use the band Hot Karl for the list just because they have the best name. :lol:
Bands like later-period Behemoth, Keep of Kalessin, Akercocke, Belphegor.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Why doesn't everybody just put on "Let There Be Rock" and stfu?

:okman:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

goon attack wrote:Why doesn't everybody just put on "Let There Be Rock" and stfu?

:okman:
Kelly Shaefer co-wrote songs with AC/DC's Brian Johnson for the band Big Machine.

See. Everything comes back to death metal sooner or later.