Series Thread: Cards @ Pirates

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Series Thread: Cards @ Pirates

Post by theohall »

Friday, July 11 STL Kyle Lohse, RHP (10-2, 3.61) @ PIT Zach Duke, LHP (4-5, 4.23), 6:05 PM CT

Saturday, July 12 STL Todd Wellemeyer, RHP (7-4, 3.94) @ PIT Yoslan Herrera, RHP (0-0, 0.00), 6:05 PM CT (Was Dumatrait)

Sunday, July 13 STL Joel Pineiro, RHP (3-4, 4.17) @ PIT Ian Snell, RHP (3-7, 5.84), 12:35 PM CT

Time for some road cookin' against the lowly Pirates. Or to get the friggin' offense going again.

Move Glaus back to 5th in the order and rotate some other guys through the #2 and #4 slot to see what happens. It seems any time the Cardinals settle on one of the new guys being #2 or being #5, they start tanking.

Why not try Mather at #4 with Luddy at #2? Heck, the way Molina had been hitting, why not throw him in the #4 slot and see what happens? Shake it up again, TLR.
Last edited by theohall on Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Pirates

Post by stlmark »

Man do we need a sweep! There's a chance of this, but we always seem to blow a game in any given series.
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

we need to sweep this, we're 2-4 in the past week.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

Good start to the series. Lohse was good tonight.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Pirates (updated 7/12)

Post by theohall »

Dumatrait went to the DL and won't start tonight for Pittsburgh.

RH Yoslan Herrera will make his major league debut against the Cardinals.
Pittsburgh Post Gazette wrote:Herrera, 27, defected from Cuba three years ago and signed with the Pirates Dec. 18, 2006. He's 5-8 with a 3.11 earned run average in 17 starts for Altoona. He also won a spot start for Indianapolis June 27, allowing Columbus two runs in seven innings.

"He's a strike thrower with a three-pitch mix," said general manager Neal Huntington, who watched Herrera pitch in Altoona last week. "He's not afraid. Hopefully he'll come up and attack the [strike] zone."

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

We blew a 10-4 lead in the 8th. Took a lead in 10th and then blew that effing lead.

I don't think this team is a playoff team if they continue to blow games. :doh: :evil: :evil: :evil:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I cannot believe we blew that friggin' game. Our bullpen blows.

And that was our "strength" coming into the season.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

I'm still pissed about that craptastic loss. :evil:

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

I stopped watching after the top of the 9th. Thought we certainly had that wrapped up. Didn't know we lost until I read it here. I think picking up a reliever has become a glaring need. Mo better take care of that soon...
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

2 out of 3 ain't bad, but dammit I wanted that sweep. :roll:

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

stlmark wrote:2 out of 3 ain't bad, but dammit I wanted that sweep. :roll:
Honestly, I'm tired of 2 out of 3 at this point. I mean, how many series could the Cardinals have swept if they wouldn't have blown a game? There's been several series where we win the first two and lose the 3rd one. Normally, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but when the Cubs keep winning, we just have to pull some sweeps sometimes. It especially hurts when our loss in this series came after holding a 10-4 lead in the 8th inning. :evil:
Last edited by dmiles2186 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Honestly, I'm tired of 2 out of 3 at this point. I mean, how many series could the Blues have swept if they wouldn't have blown a game? There's been several series where we win the first two and lose the 3rd one. Normally, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but when the Cubs keep winning, we just have to pull some sweeps sometimes. It especially hurts when our loss in this series came after holding a 10-4 lead in the 8th inning. :evil:
Exactly, We've blown so many games this year it's sickening me. We could have had at least 5 or 6 sweeps. It's starting to remind me of 2003.

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

stlmark wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Honestly, I'm tired of 2 out of 3 at this point. I mean, how many series could the Blues have swept if they wouldn't have blown a game? There's been several series where we win the first two and lose the 3rd one. Normally, 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but when the Cubs keep winning, we just have to pull some sweeps sometimes. It especially hurts when our loss in this series came after holding a 10-4 lead in the 8th inning. :evil:
Exactly, We've blown so many games this year it's sickening me. We could have had at least 5 or 6 sweeps. It's starting to remind me of 2003.
I read this post and laughed at Dmiles for sneakily editing the "Blues" back to the "Cardinals" in his previous post... only ol' stlmark busted him.
Official All-Time Co-Sponsor of Cam Janssen

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

stlmark wrote:We blew a 10-4 lead in the 8th. Took a lead in 10th and then blew that effing lead.

I don't think this team is a playoff team if they continue to blow games. :doh: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Every team blows games once in a while. It's the teams that blow the fewest leads that do well.
The Cardinals have blown too many games...no doubt.
That needs to be corrected if they want to get into the playoffs.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

On the blown saves thing...

I'm surprised we haven't blown more. This is essentially what the Cardinals have:

The 2 best middle relief guys are starters (Welly and Looper)
The other guy who should be long middle relief, Thompson, keeps getting thrown in to games in the 1st or 2nd inning as essentially an emergency starter. So that's the 3 guys who should be holding down middle relief.

Our best closer used to be Izzy. It appears age has finally caught up to him as his stuff just isn't what it used be on a consistent basis.

Franklin became the best closer, but the league seems to be catching up to him as he hasn't been as effective as he was during the first two months of taking over that role. He's still best suited to being an 8th inning set-up guy.

Then this is the rest of the Cardinals relief pitching staff:

McClellan - rookie
Perez - rookie
Villone - another inconsistent lefty
Springer - whose doing well for his age, but can he maintain this for a season at 39.

If anyone had said the Cards would be relying on two rookies as keys to longer inning middle relief before this season, they'd have written the Cardinals even further off the board than was already done.

And all of this is without discussing the revolving door which has been the Cardinals 4th/5th starters this season.

Whether the Cardinals make the playoffs this season or not, lots of young players - especially young pitchers - are getting some outstanding exposure to prepare them for future seasons.

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

cprice12 wrote:
stlmark wrote:We blew a 10-4 lead in the 8th. Took a lead in 10th and then blew that effing lead.

Every team blows games once in a while. It's the teams that blow the fewest leads that do well.
The Cardinals have blown too many games...no doubt.
That needs to be corrected if they want to get into the playoffs.
:plusplus: