Series Thread: Cardinals @ Mets

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Series Thread: Cardinals @ Mets

Post by theohall »

Friday, July 25, Mitchell Boggs, RHP (3-1, 6.59) @ Mike Pelfrey, RHP (8-6, 3.81), 6:10 CT
Saturday, July 26, Joel Pineiro, RHP (3-4, 4.52) @ Brandon Knight, RHP (0-0, -.--) , 6:10 CT
Sunday, July 27, Kyle Lohse, RHP (12-2, 3.35) @ Johan Santana, LHP (8-7, 3.05), 12:10 CT

Time to get back to the winning ways and forget the Brewers.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Series Thread: Cardinals @ Mets

Post by stlmark »

How many games does the bullpen blow? All 3?

We have a shot to win all 3, but with that damn bullpen........ :evil:
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

None. The offense won't let the game rest on the bullpen this series. They aren't playing the Brewers.

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

theohall wrote:None. The offense won't let the game rest on the bullpen this series. They aren't playing the Brewers.
Man I hope your right.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Boggs didn't have it tonight.
Currently down 6-1 in the 6th.
Missed an opportunity to score a couple more in the top of the 6th.

I hate the Mets.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

When Boggs started walking guys after getting them down 0-2 in the 2nd - it was over. 77 pitches in 4 innings - yeah - the Mets were getting plenty of looks at his stuff.

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

I barely watched. I had trouble digesting that craptastic play. :evil:

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by stinkdified »

stlmark wrote:I barely watched. I had trouble digesting that craptastic play. :evil:
I didn't get a chance to watch the game. Is that why the final score was what it was? i.e. did they win the game or did we lose the game?
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

No offense (2 runs) and Boggs stunk up the joint from the get-go. He should never pitch more than one inning against the Mets ever again. They certainly seem to have his number.

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by stinkdified »

the cubs lost! we get another chance. bah! i hate the mets

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

stinkdified wrote:
stlmark wrote:I barely watched. I had trouble digesting that craptastic play. :evil:
I didn't get a chance to watch the game. Is that why the final score was what it was? i.e. did they win the game or did we lose the game?
What?

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by stinkdified »

stlmark wrote:
stinkdified wrote:
What?
did they win the game...did they just pound us on offense...or did we lose the game for ourselves...did we give the game to them through errors and walks and whatnot...

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

stinkdified wrote:
stlmark wrote:
stinkdified wrote:
What?
did they win the game...did they just pound us on offense...or did we lose the game for ourselves...did we give the game to them through errors and walks and whatnot...
Cardinals pitching was horrible. Cardinals offense was non-existent. Mets took advantage by hitting the crappy pitching and keeping the offense shut down.

Now - on to Saturday night - Cards pitching was horrible again - as in the Mets reached base in every inning through the 12th. But - the Cards offense woke up and managed to score 8 runs which was enough to force extra innings - then got the 2 runs in the 14th on a Pujols HR. And Thompson was solid as the only pitcher not to allow a Met to reach base with perfect 13th and 14th innings to close out the win.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Not pretty...but we'll take it.

I thought I was going to blow a gasket when Franklin blew YET ANOTHER lead in the 9th again tonight. At first I thought Ankiel robbed Tatis' homer...but no. Had he read the ball right off the bat, he may have caught it.

We needed this win really bad.
Only three games out.
Something needs to be changed in the bullpen. This is getting ridiculous. They just aren't effective, at all. When you are constantly giving up runs in the late innings and blowing leads, you have to make a move.

July 21st -- Franklin gives up three runs in the 10th and gets the loss.
July 22nd -- Milwaukee scores 2 in the 8th on Lohse to tie the score and McLellan gives up 1 in the 9th and gets the loss.
July 23rd -- Isringhausen gives up a run in the 9th in a 3-0 loss.
July 24th -- Franklin gives up 2 runs in the 9th, blows the save and gets the loss.
July 25th -- 7-2 loss...didn't matter.
July 26th -- Franklin gives up a run in the 9th and blows the save...Cards win in the 14th.

It's almost comical how bad the bullpen has been over the past week.

Four of the past six games we had the lead in the 8th or 9th inning, and we blew the lead and ended up losing all but the last one, which we won in the 14th. We should have won a few of those games.
If we lose the division or wild card by a game or two, you can look back on the series against the Brewers as the reason why.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

cprice12 wrote:Not pretty...but we'll take it.

I thought I was going to blow a gasket when Franklin blew YET ANOTHER lead in the 9th again tonight. At first I thought Ankiel robbed Tatis' homer...but no. Had he read the ball right off the bat, he may have caught it.

We needed this win really bad.
Only three games out.
Something needs to be changed in the bullpen. This is getting ridiculous. They just aren't effective, at all. When you are constantly giving up runs in the late innings and blowing leads, you have to make a move.

July 21st -- Franklin gives up three runs in the 10th and gets the loss.
July 22nd -- Milwaukee scores 2 in the 8th on Lohse to tie the score and McLellan gives up 1 in the 9th and gets the loss.
July 23rd -- Isringhausen gives up a run in the 9th in a 3-0 loss.
July 24th -- Franklin gives up 2 runs in the 9th, blows the save and gets the loss.
July 25th -- 7-2 loss...didn't matter.
July 26th -- Franklin gives up a run in the 9th and blows the save...Cards win in the 14th.

It's almost comical how bad the bullpen has been over the past week.

Four of the past six games we had the lead in the 8th or 9th inning, and we blew the lead and ended up losing all but the last one, which we won in the 14th. We should have won a few of those games.
If we lose the division or wild card by a game or two, you can look back on the series against the Brewers as the reason why.
Time for the crazy stat. Even with all the nonsense the past week, the Cardinals are still the best team in the NL this season with a lead after the 6th inning. To quote Craig Ferguson: "I know. It's crazy."

But, yes, the pen needs fixing. Unfortunately, Perez, who is the most likely in-house option (other than Wainwright which no one wants to see him relieving because he's so good starting), imploded last night in Memphis giving up 5 runs over 1 1/3 innings. Perez just can't pitch more than one inning at a time. Prior to the implosion, he'd had 3 perfect 1 inning outings, getting 7 Ks in those 3 innings. Every time Perez pitches a 2nd inning, he gets hammered.

Last night, however, McClellan had a 2006 Wainwright-esque 8th inning after surrendering a lead-off single, then striking out the side. Nice mix of fastballs and a wicked curveball. Was kind of surprised they didn't let him pitch the 9th with how well he handled the 8th. So there is another option, although he hasn't done well the few times they've put him in "closer" situations.

After that - it's Waino or trading for someone.

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

stinkdified wrote:
stlmark wrote:
stinkdified wrote:
What?
Oh ok, I only watched until it was 3-0. I didn't watch that closely.

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

I expected to lose once Franklin blew the save. I was mad, but I fully expected it.

Franklin needs to be OUT of the closers role. He just can't get it done. We need to make a move for Fuentes now.

That was a big win that could right the ship. Today will be tough facing Santana, but we do have Lohse going. We need to win this rubber game.

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

Good effort. :doh: