how do you play fantasy football

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

purple_haze
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

how do you play fantasy football

Post by purple_haze »

can you guys help me with fantasy football. Its probably 10 years too late for me and i need help learning how to play this game. Do you guys have a site that can teach a dude 101 on fantasy football?

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Re: how do you play fantasy football

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

Is it different from other fantasy sports? I always thought fantasy football seemed like too many people to keep track of.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

FFootball is fun, but listening to d-bags talk about it 24/7 during the football season makes me not want to even play this season. People who don't even watch football regularly will be innundating you with bullshit about how their fantasy team is doing constantly.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Fantasy football is exactly the same as any other fantasy sport except that you really only need to keep tabs on your players for two days instead of 4-7 days.

I've had my most success in fantasy football, and interestingly enough my least success in fantasy hockey though I love hockey much more than football.

I wish I could help with tips, but it all comes down to one of two things: 1) drafting the best possible team or 2) snagging the sleeper. I finished first in my league by snagging Vinny Testeverde off waivers the year that he had his run with the Jets. It happens. Without Vinny, I would have finished dead last. You need to take a gamble from time to time. You'll finish last sometimes and 1st other times, but the gambles you take will make the difference 99% of the time.

I only play for fun though, not for money. I can't afford to suck/lose money at fantasy ball what with a wedding coming up. I think I play in much less competitive leagues than what a lot of people who pay to play are looking for. To me, it's something to keep me occupied during the year so I have something to think about other than teaching.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

glen a richter wrote:Fantasy football is exactly the same as any other fantasy sport except that you really only need to keep tabs on your players for two days instead of 4-7 days.
Fantasy Football is the best for that very reason. set your lineup on Friday, sit back and watch.... wait til next Friday....

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

It takes a pureness of heart, and a steady mind.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

BF44 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Fantasy football is exactly the same as any other fantasy sport except that you really only need to keep tabs on your players for two days instead of 4-7 days.
Fantasy Football is the best for that very reason. set your lineup on Friday, sit back and watch.... wait til next Friday....
Absolutely. I don't enjoy spending time setting lineups every day for baseball. It's a pain in the ass, I get tired of it and my teams usually suck as a result. Right now I'm in 8th, 1st and 3rd place respectively in my 3 leagues, and the 1st and 3rd place teams are a result of pure luck because my focus hasn't been on it at all. With football, you spend 10 minutes a week setting the lineup then crack a beer and watch some no-name schlep on your opponents team eat up the defensive line for 30 fantasy points.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

Fantasy baseball is a nightmare.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

glen a richter wrote:
BF44 wrote:
Absolutely. I don't enjoy spending time setting lineups every day for baseball. It's a pain in the ass, I get tired of it and my teams usually suck as a result. Right now I'm in 8th, 1st and 3rd place respectively in my 3 leagues, and the 1st and 3rd place teams are a result of pure luck because my focus hasn't been on it at all. With football, you spend 10 minutes a week setting the lineup then crack a beer and watch some no-name schlep on your opponents team eat up the defensive line for 30 fantasy points.
I'm done with fantasy hockey for the same reason you detailed about fantasy baseball. IN Fantasy Baseball and Hockey, the Draft is a blast... then it sorta sucks for 6 months.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I love fantasy sports.
They add a new dimension to watching sports...I have rooting interests in games I wouldn't otherwise care about.
I run baseball and hockey keeper fantasy leagues with a handful of guys...which mainly consist of family and friends I've played hockey with for years. And I run a fantasy football league at work.

If you only participate in one league for each sport, it's easy to maintain. If you have time to check your email each day, you have time to maintain your fantasy team. And football is easy. You really only need to set your lineup once a week, and maybe check it again Sunday morning before most of the games start if you're picky. It's when you start doing more than one league for each sport, that it can be a pain in the ass and actual work to keep up with it.

Fantasy baseball is easy to keep up with. You check your lineup each morning and put in your starters for the day. It usually only takes 2 minutes at most...unless your are making a trade or adding or dropping players, then it takes a few minutes more to decide what you want to do. But not a big deal if you actually enjoy baseball. Same thing with hockey. I'll spend a while analyzing what moves I want to make, because I enjoy it.

Yahoo has pretty good, free leagues.
fleaflicker.com has what looks to be a good fantasy football league, we're trying that one this year.
I'm sure there are lots of other good ones.
I haven't done a pay league, and I don't play for money. It's all about the bragging rights with my friends...and at work we have a trophy that gets passed around. That's good enough.

In baseball and hockey, we hold the draft at my house. It's a good time. (and it will be even better once the new house gets built and we can hold the draft in an actual game room. :okman: )
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/