Additions to your music collection

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Additions to your music collection

Post by ksbluesfan »

I buy at least 75 songs every month through eMusic. I thought we should start a thread where everybody could brag about their awesome collection. Of course, I fully expect to be ridiculed by OS and others who don't appreciate good music.

The week's additions:
IX Equilibrium - Emperor
Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone - Akercocke
The Goat Of Mendes - Akercocke
Under A Stone With No Inscription - Anata
Isa - Enslaved
The Tenth Sub Level Of Suicide - Leviathan

Last month, I bought Gorod's "Neurotripsicks" and several others. I love the Gorod's music, but I'm not wild about that vocal style. It's been overdone, especially the pig-like squeals. I wish more bands would approach vocals like Naihmass Nemtheanga of Primordial, but I guess the Iron Maiden fan in me talking.

I was expecting Enslaved's Isa to sound like Frost. They aren't very close at all. Frost has a great viking metal/folk sound to it. Isa reminds me of Fear Factory without the digitized vocals. It's a lot more progressive. I can't say I like it yet, but I don't hate it either. Some of the melodies are awfully repetitive.
Last edited by ksbluesfan on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Additions to you music collection

Post by OS »

Just so we're clear, I only started giving you guys shit because ever music thread here turns into a 'heavy metal circle jerk'. It amazes me how many metal fans we have on here, simply because I don't really know anyone else who is into 'cookie monster lyrics'. I'm sure there is plenty of stuff you guys do listen to that I would like (cookie monster lyrics music not included), but I've just never even heard of any of the bands you guys talk about.

As for my music collection, lately I've only been listening to Pandora, so I haven't exactly been adding things to my library. The last CD I purchased was from a local band that I've mentioned here before.
Last edited by OS on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

I don't think I've ever heard of a single band that ksbluesfan talks about. Well okay.. Iron Maiden I listen to semi-regularly, but anything modern I haven't a clue.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

OS wrote:Just so we're clear, I only started giving you guys shit because ever music thread here turns into a 'heavy metal circle jerk'. It amazes me how many metal fans we have on here, simply because I don't really know anyone else who is into 'cookie monster lyrics'. I'm sure there is plenty of stuff you guys do listen to that I would like (cookie monster lyrics music not included), but I've just never even heard of any of the bands you guys talk about.
I know. I just like giving you a bad time. There really aren't that many people around who like extreme metal. Most metal fans go as far as Tool, Pantera and Lamb of God, but there's a whole underground level beyond that. I'm still relatively new to black and death metal, so I get suggestions where I can find them.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:I don't think I've ever heard of a single band that ksbluesfan talks about. Well okay.. Iron Maiden I listen to semi-regularly, but anything modern I haven't a clue.
Some of those bands have been around for a long time. Primordial was formed in 1987, thought they didn't release a full length album until 1995. They have a style that is similar to Iron Maiden, but heavier on the Irish folk and closer to black metal, but with clean vocals that are similar to Bruce Dickenson. Emperor and Enslaved formed in 1991. Anata formed in 1993, Akercocke in 1997, and Leviathan in 1998. Gorod is the newest band that I mentioned, formed in 2005. Among fans of black metal, Emperor is probably the most well known.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

So far, I think Sigur Rós' latest, Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust, is the best album of the year. The Bakerton Group (basically instrumental Clutch) is among my favorites of the year. I really like Nine Inch Nail's The Slip. Portishead's Third has alot of good material on it. For such a sober album though, it should have been released in the fall or winter. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's EP, American X, is quite good.

I pray that Autolux’s second album will be released this year.

This hasn’t been a great year of “albums.” Last year it was tough putting together a “top ten” album list, because there was so much good stuff. From the first track to the last. This year, so many albums that have some great material on it, are pulled down by some cringe worthy tracks (see The Gutter Twins' debut, Black Mountain’s newest).

STL JA and I were talking about this not too long ago, but I am picking up on less new metal bands anymore. Not sure why, probably just age. If it is a metal band that I am into releases something new (Opeth for example), I pick it up, but I really don’t hunt for new metal bands or old metal bands that I haven't checked out yet.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

ksbluesfan wrote: IX Equilibrium - Emperor
Highly underrated album by Emperor. "Curse You All Men!" was the last song I learned on guitar.
ksbluesfan wrote: Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone - Akercocke
In my opinion, their best album. Have you heard Antichrist?
ksbluesfan wrote:Under A Stone With No Inscription - Anata
Their rhythm guitarist Andreas just left, but the album is still on schedule.
ksbluesfan wrote: The Tenth Sub Level Of Suicide - Leviathan
Along with Xasthur, the best North American black metal band today.

Albums I bought this week (so far):
Maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map
Jesu - Jesu
Carcharoth - From the Cavern Come

Oh, and I picked up Type O's "Dead Again" on LP that I found by chance at Vintage Vinyl. Sounds great.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:
Highly underrated album by Emperor. "Curse You All Men!" was the last song I learned on guitar.

Jesu - Jesu

Oh, and I picked up Type O's "Dead Again" on LP that I found by chance at Vintage Vinyl. Sounds great.
It took a while for Emperor to grow on me. For some reason, I ended up with "The Warriors of Modern Death" when I downloaded In The Nightside Eclipse. I didn't realize it, but all of the titles were messed up and I had that listed as "A Fine Day To Day" (Bathory cover). Once I got all of that straightened out, I had to get IX Equilibrium.

I have not heard Akercocke's Antichrist. I don't think it's on eMusic yet, but I will get it as soon as they offer it.

Other than samples, I haven't heard Leviathan or Xasthur yet. Good American black metal is hard to find.

When is your audition for Anata?

:grin:

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Any of you guys pick up the new New Kids on the Block album?

Didn't think so. :lol:

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

ksbluesfan wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:

Jesu - Jesu

It took a while for Emperor to grow on me. For some reason, I ended up with "The Warriors of Modern Death" when I downloaded In The Nightside Eclipse. I didn't realize it, but all of the titles were messed up and I had that listed as "A Fine Day To Day" (Bathory cover). Once I got all of that straightened out, I had to get IX Equilibrium.

I have not heard Akercocke's Antichrist. I don't think it's on eMusic yet, but I will get it as soon as they offer it.

Other than samples, I haven't heard Leviathan or Xasthur yet. Good American black metal is hard to find.

When is your audition for Anata?

:grin:
"Warriors of Modern Death" was the first Emperor song that I really got into. The hook is so catchy midway through the song. Then I got In The Nightside Eclipse and I was hooked. Though, of late, my favorite Emperor album has to be Prometheus...[/].

Good American black metal is nearly impossible to find. With the exception of said bands, and bands like Agalloch who kind of classify as black metal, the talent pool is relatively slim. I know there's nearly no black metal scene to be heard of in St. Louis, but, then again, the metal scene has all but vanished here. It's filled with -"core" bands that far outnumber the actual metal bands. Sad...

And while I wish I could try out for Anata, my guitar skills can't match their level of playing, given that I'm a bassist that just dabbles with guitar. A friend of mine that I used to talk to on metal-archives across the pond might try out though, from what he told me.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

I've heard of/listened to 3 of the bands ksbluesfan listed. Enslaved, Emperor, and Leviathan. I'm just not into death metal at all. Or any of the other zillion sub-genres like black metal, grindcore, speed metal... I hardly even listen to metal these days. I'd much rather jam some classic rock, or jam band stuff.

Death metal is pretty much just noise. True story. So they can trem pick very fast (so), use diminished scales and progressions (so), drum very fast (so), scream (so), and tune down two whole steps or more (so). :wink: :lol:

Carcass was really one of the most musical "death metal" or "grindcore" or whatever the (frank) you wanna call it bands in the genre. They're not around anymore. Opeth is extremely talented, but I don't consider them to be in the genre. Hrm, yep, that's about it.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

There is too much discussion about metal and not enough additions to collections. Don't you people buy music? Surely somebody here bought Rihanna's Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

ksbluesfan wrote:There is too much discussion about metal and not enough additions to collections. Don't you people buy music? Surely somebody here bought Rihanna's Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded.

I really don't anymore. Not when my friend has over 3,000 cds and I just go over there and rip em to my itunes. :lol:

My CD collection is sad. Most of them have been stolen, lost, or in complete disarray. It's not worth starting over.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

I buy new music (in the form of CDs) constantly. My stereo system currently has two 400 disc changers and one 200 disc changer set up.

I just picked up My Bloody Valentine’s Tremolo EP (circa 1990 or 1991) the other day. Kevin Shields is a shoegaze guitar god.

I have The Verve’s Northern Soul and Primal Scream’s Beautiful Future (UK Special Edition) on the way from the UK Amazon.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:Oh, and I picked up Type O's "Dead Again" on LP that I found by chance at Vintage Vinyl. Sounds great.
You rule.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

SIU LAW wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:Oh, and I picked up Type O's "Dead Again" on LP that I found by chance at Vintage Vinyl. Sounds great.
You rule.
Hah, it was a choice between that and an Emperor/Mayhem EP split. While I adore Emperor and everything they've done, Mayhem's out-of-music legacy far exceeds their musical legacy for that to be a worthy purchase, so I went with "Dead Again" because the album is absolutely amazing, and just the ability to have it on LP was worth it. The sound is so much heavier on vinyl than on the cd. I always seem to prefer the LP sound to the digital sound, given that everything is more audible (i.e. the bass), but it's tough to find stuff on vinyl easily nowadays.

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath. these are really the only bands i listen to.

I have a 300 gb HD completely full of mp3s. My dad's friend raped napster for everything he possibly could back in the late 90s. He had pretty much the full discography for any major group from before 2000. He offered to let us copy all that he had. It was too good to pass up. Probably highly illegal, but w/e.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

STL JA wrote:Death metal is pretty much just noise. True story. So they can trem pick very fast (so), use diminished scales and progressions (so), drum very fast (so), scream (so), and tune down two whole steps or more (so). :wink: :lol:

Carcass was really one of the most musical "death metal" or "grindcore" or whatever the (frank) you wanna call it bands in the genre. They're not around anymore. Opeth is extremely talented, but I don't consider them to be in the genre. Hrm, yep, that's about it.
While I agree that a lot of death metal is similar in approach, and even to me, half of the product of the genre is unlistenable due to the sheer boredom that comes over me due to the mundane quality of the music, I can't say that I'd agree by writing it off as "pretty much noise". Though the crop of quality, musical death metal bands has slimmed down some in recent years, there are still quite a few truly quality death metal bands out there spearheading the genre back to respectfulness, like Anata, Decapitated, Farmakon, and Arsis, to name a few. However, it really isn't like it used to be, when the death metal pool was a lot more talented, with bands like Carcass, Death, Pestilence, Atheist, and Cynic helping to legitimize the genre as more than just noise.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

My new music buying has gone way, way down. My wife and I used to go spend an hour at the used record store and walk out with a dozen CDs every few months, but I haven't done that in probably a year. 1. We don't go out as much now that we have a kid. 2. We're trying to spend less money on entertainment stuff since we had a kid. 3. Most of the bands we liked from the 90s are no longer putting out new music, and a lot of the new bands suck.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

big d note wrote:and a lot of the new bands suck.
Damn kids with their music. GET OFF MY LAWN!!!