Series Thread: Brewers @ Cardinals

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Series Thread: Brewers @ Cardinals

Post by theohall »

Time for another weird two game series.

Tuesday, August 26 Ben Sheets, RHP (11-7, 3.16) @ Todd Wellemeyer, RHP (11-4, 3.79), 7:15 PM CT
Wednesday, August 27 Manny Parra, LHP (10-6, 4.10) @ Adam Wainwright, RHP (7-3, 3.04), 7:15 PM CT

These two are must wins and the Cardinals have the right pitchers going and will have a rested bullpen. If they don't take these two, I don't think they have a shot at the wildcard, unless Milwaukee implodes in September. St Louis has a history of playing .500 ball in September regardless of where they are in the standings.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Series Thread: Brewers @ Cardinals

Post by stlmark »

Yep, we HAVE to win both games.
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'm with both of you. I'm not trying to go all-ESPN over the top in my statement here, but if they don't win these two games, you can count the Cards out of the playoffs. They are playing well this season, obviously, but not good enough. The Brewers and the Cubs have been a few steps ahead all season, and games like these are why. The Cardinals seem to do okay in important series, but they haven't been able to dominate (i.e. sweep) when they need to.

No better time to start than now.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by stinkdified »

dmiles2186 wrote:I'm with both of you. I'm not trying to go all-ESPN over the top in my statement here, but if they don't win these two games, you can count the Cards out of the playoffs. They are playing well this season, obviously, but not good enough. The Brewers and the Cubs have been a few steps ahead all season, and games like these are why. The Cardinals seem to do okay in important series, but they haven't been able to dominate (i.e. sweep) when they need to.

No better time to start than now.
:plusplus: IOW: this shit is important
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo

jimmy straka
Prospect
Prospect

Post by jimmy straka »

there is still time

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Seeing as the Brewers have beaten the Cardinals in 7 straight games with the Cardinals unable to generate offense against them and the Cards now being 4.5 back, time won't help.

How bad is the Cardinals offense vs the Brewers this season:
3 L
5 W
3 L
3 L
3 L
3 L
0 L
3 L
0 L

That's the last 9 games vs Milwaukee. More than 3 runs once in 9 games is pure and utter crap. Unfortunately, it indicates Brewers pitching owns the Cardinals. Sure, Wainwright will likely hold them down tonight, but don't count on the Cardinals generating enough offense even if Wainwright does keep the score down. Heck, it was only a 3 run game thru 6 innings last night, but the Cards offense choked again.

roddick
Prospect
Prospect

Post by roddick »

loved seeing albert fired up after villanueva showboated

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Ned Yost's comments in the Brewers writeups on the game say it just as well.
Brewers manager Ned Yost said the Villanueva-Pujols saga wasn't something he would have preferred to see happen.

"It definitely does have an effect," Yost said. "They've been struggling against us. You just get your pitch, make the out and walk on off. It leaves them thinking, 'I missed another opportunity.'

"Villaneuva let his emotions get away a little bit. You can't allow it to happen.

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

I hate Villaneuva and the skunk beers.

Man, that was a big win.
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka