Fellow metal fans, I need some help

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Of the two...

Master of Puppets
82%
Fade to Black
18%

Total votes: 22

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Fellow metal fans, I need some help

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

goon attack wrote:I'll acknowledge that. I don't find it to be enjoyable music though and never have. I was always more of a Maiden fan, then punk rock. Metallica never appealed to me for whatever reason. I do like some Slayer and other heavier bands. Machine Head comes immediately to mind. I more like the hardcore bands like Snapcase and Refused. The metal bands don't appeal to me that much.

My wife loves Metallica and I always give her shit about it. :lol:
Liking Machine Head and disliking Metallica... Bizarro world.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:
goon attack wrote:I'll acknowledge that. I don't find it to be enjoyable music though and never have. I was always more of a Maiden fan, then punk rock. Metallica never appealed to me for whatever reason. I do like some Slayer and other heavier bands. Machine Head comes immediately to mind. I more like the hardcore bands like Snapcase and Refused. The metal bands don't appeal to me that much.

He likes Martina McBride and Machine Head better than Metallica.

:lol:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

ksbluesfan wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:

My opinion is that Metallica isn't very good and certainly not as good as their popularity would have people believe. But hey, whatever is really popular is always really good, like Budweiser, the show Friends, McDonald's, Matchbox 20...etc.

When you fukken pansies are done crying about it, let me know.

Listen to "The Shape of Punk to Come" by Refused and get back to me. That is balls out music and makes Metallica look like fairies.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Hey, maybe I was too hard on Metallica.

Here are some lyrics from Refused, one of my favorite bands of all time:
Can I scream? Yeah!
We lack the motion to move to the new beat
We lack the motion to move to the new beat

It's here for us to admire if we can afford the beauty of it
Can afford the luxury of turning our heads
Adjust that thousand dollars smile and behold the creation of man
Great words won't cover ugly actions - good frames won't save bad paintings

We lack the motion to move to the new beat. Yeah!
We lack... motion
When the day is over - Hey! - the doors are locked on us
Money buys the access - and we can't pay the cost
And how can we expect anyone to listen if we are using the same old voice?
We need new noise - new art for the real people

We dance to all the wrong songs
We enjoy all the wrong moves
We're not leading
We're not, we're not, we're not, we're not, we're not, we're not...
Leading

We dance - all the wrong songs
We enjoy - all the wrong moves

We enjoy - all the wrong moves

Here we go!

We're not leading. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

The new beat! The new beat! The new beat! The new beat!
Thank you.

Hmm....thought provoking.....but how do they stand up to Metallica's lyrics?
Fade To Black
Life it seems, will fade away
Drifting further every day
Getting lost within myself
Nothing matters no one else
I have lost the will to live
Simply nothing more to give
There is nothing more for me
Need the end to set me free

Things are not what they used to be
Missing one inside of me
Deathly lost, this can't be real
Cannot stand this hell I feel
Emptiness is filing me
To the point of agony
Growing darkness taking dawn
I was me, but now He's gone
No one but me can save myself, but it to late
Now I can't think, think why I should even try
Yesterday seems as though it never existed
Death Greets me warm, now I will just say good-bye
Hmm...I remember writing lyrics when I was 16 about being in hell and darkness, and death, and about saving myself. I think I even wrote a song just like this pile of shit one.

Vapid lyrics, loudmouth, arrogant asshole personalities, mediocre musicianship, crappy vocals, generic metal tones and production, predictable songwriting...

Yeah, Metallica is GREAT. :roll:

face it, metallica is to music what Jay McKee is to defensemen.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Cliff Burton was far from mediocre, and although most Metallica fans will disagree, Jason Newstead was pretty f'in good too. Hammet isn't really overrated, because the only two people you ever hear about are Lars and James. Their first three albums were tits.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

They are all decent players, just nothing stands out about any of them to me.

I just never liked their sound when they first came out and then they settled in on what to me is a cookie cutter songwriting style with boring production.

You have to admit, dude, that their lyrics are fukken horrible. I know people usually don't care about lyrics, but I do and it sort of ruins it for me.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

You've lost an uncountable amt of manpoints in this thread.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

goon attack wrote:
ksbluesfan wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:

My opinion is that Metallica isn't very good and certainly not as good as their popularity would have people believe. But hey, whatever is really popular is always really good, like Budweiser, the show Friends, McDonald's, Matchbox 20...etc.

When you fukken pansies are done crying about it, let me know.

Listen to "The Shape of Punk to Come" by Refused and get back to me. That is balls out music and makes Metallica look like fairies.
It's hysterical that a Martina McBride fan is making a statement about popularity.

There's a ton of great music that makes Metallica look like fairies. That's not a great accomplishment today. In 1988, that would have meant something, but not today.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

goon attack wrote:Her shows are a good time. When you get older, you want to have fun and relax and not be enraged and want to kill people every time you see a band.
I think I spotted goon's comment on the Refused video:
jmehl77 (1 week ago)
Hell yes these guys kickass, they rock the (Frank) out of you, so there you have it, long live their music from a 50 year old!

It's really interesting if you open both videos in different windows and listen to them simultaneously.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

goon attack wrote:They are all decent players, just nothing stands out about any of them to me.

I just never liked their sound when they first came out and then they settled in on what to me is a cookie cutter songwriting style with boring production.

You have to admit, dude, that their lyrics are fukken horrible. I know people usually don't care about lyrics, but I do and it sort of ruins it for me.
I am also one that generally cares about lyrical content, and I'll openly admit that Metallica writes lyrics like an angst-ridden teenager, but you can't compare punk lyrics to them, as an equal amount of punk lyrics are just as vapid as the stereotypical metal lyrics. Commercial music, across the board from metal to rap, does not traditionally boast strong lyrical content. Metallica is a commercial juggernaut, so they fall right into said category.

However, on a macro scale, there are just as many thought-provoking lyrics done consistently by metal bands as there are punk bands that follow such a mold.

But, back to the discussion at hand, listening to Metallica for the lyrics is like reading National Geographic for the nudity: you'll end up wholly disappointed.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Martina McBride inspires me as a human being and gives me a woodrow in the process. Metallica just reminds me of every loser I knew in high school.

Oh well.... :lol:

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

TC wrote:1) Fight Fire With Fire
2) Trapped Under Ice
3) Ride The Lightning
4) Creeping Death
5) Battery
6) Disposable Heroes
7) For Whom The Bell Tolls
8) Blitzkrieg
9) Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)
10) Damage, Inc.

neither are in the top 10. of the two, MOP by FAR and away. anyone who says fade to black is an emo fag or sobek.
dubya tee eff, no Blackened in that list? For shame.

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

Ruutu15 wrote:Cliff Burton was far from mediocre, and although most Metallica fans will disagree, Jason Newstead was pretty f'in good too. Hammet isn't really overrated, because the only two people you ever hear about are Lars and James. Their first three albums were tits.
I think most people dug Newstead, except for the old fart you're nowhere near as good as Cliff contingent. And goon. :moran:

Hammett relies too much on the wah pedal for my liking.

I've been listening to some of the new stuff they are coming out with and am stoked. I've got a chubby that would scare off Martina McBride, that's for sure. :okman:

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Kylie Minogue raises my tent-pole, but that doesn't mean I'm going to listen to her crap music.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Many of Martina McBride's songs have lyrical substance and mean something that is in my opinion, very inspiring.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

I just heard the "Cyanide" track off of Metallica's new cd.

I didn't care for it at all. They're really trying too hard or something.

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

STL JA wrote:I just heard the "Cyanide" track off of Metallica's new cd.

I didn't care for it at all. They're really trying too hard or something.
I've only heard the live version from a show in the UK thus far. I'm digging My Apocalypse though (may not have the title quite right).