Pensacola Ice Pilots (ECHL)

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

moe
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Pensacola Ice Pilots (ECHL)

Post by moe »

I'm stuck in Pensacola for at least a year (caring for my ill mother).

I found the Ice Pilots web site but it says that the ECHL has terminated their membership. Since I don't have a lot of spare time I figured I would ask you all what happened and if there is any chance they will be reinstated in time for the season.

I don't want to spend another entire season without any live hockey.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Pensacola Ice Pilots (ECHL)

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

PRINCETON, N.J. - The ECHL announced Monday that the Membership of the Pensacola Ice Pilots has been terminated, effective immediately.

"On behalf of the ECHL we are very disappointed both for the Ice Pilots fans as well as the other member teams of the ECHL," said ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna.

The termination of the Membership comes as a result of the Pensacola ownership group notifying the ECHL that it did not intend to play in 2008-09 or any season thereafter. Failure to ice a team for play is grounds for automatic termination under the ECHL Bylaws.

All Pensacola players will immediately become unrestricted free agents.

The league announced that work is underway on a revised version of the 2008-09 playing schedule.
Per wikipedia:
After the 2007-08 season, when the Ice Pilots had finished dead last for three consecutive years, team owner Mario Forgione announced he had no intention of fielding a team in Pensacola for the ECHL during the 2008-2009 season. Forgione announced plans to keep a team in Pensacola, but one in a lower-level league. That league was not named. The ECHL then stated that is would revoke the franchise if need be, and the ECHL made it official on Monday, June 23, 2008.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

dugoutAK
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by dugoutAK »

The owner is a TOOL that has no business in hockey at any level. Ran them into the ground.
"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie." - Brett Hull

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:
Failure to ice a team for play is grounds for automatic termination under the ECHL Bylaws.
Really?!?!?!?!?!?! :lol: