Concrete glue?

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Concrete glue?

Post by stinkdified »

so...im pretty handy with most stuff around the house, ive never done any type of concrete repair however. hence my question...heres the steps from the basement mud room leading up to the back porch...
that piece has really been pissing me off lately...as you can see, you can kick it into place, but its only a matter of time before it falls out again. what would be the best method for fixin this? mix up a little bit of quickrete and just kinda patch it up and shove that piece in there? or is there another type of concrete 'glue' that i could use? any help would be appreciated...and any jokes are welcome also, i guess
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Concrete glue?

Post by the knob »

Browsed the aisles of Lowe's to see if they have anything? I've never had to deal with such a mess.

Here's a long ugly URL to get started:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... 4294953059" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

I'm not a big home repair guy, but couldn't you just mix a small amount of concrete, put a board in front of it, poor the concrete in, and smooth it out.. The only problems I'd see is you'd have to buy a much bigger concrete bag than you need, and it would not look ideal as the new stuff would look a different shade as what's already there.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:I'm not a big home repair guy, but couldn't you just mix a small amount of concrete, put a board in front of it, poor the concrete in, and smooth it out.. The only problems I'd see is you'd have to buy a much bigger concrete bag than you need, and it would not look ideal as the new stuff would look a different shade as what's already there.
Yeah, you'd have to buy more than you need.... but a bag of Quikrete is, what.... $4 or so? And for that small of a repair, you could mix it in a large bucket.....

That's the way to go imho. The colors of the concrete won't match, but if you don't care, go for it....

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

There is a patch type cement that makes it stick better than staight cement. I had a similar problem but my patch failed after a year due to water that seeped into the step. I ended up replacing the whole step.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

The stuff they have at Lowe's, somebody mentioned quickcrete or whatever, will fix that right up. Just jam a board on the kick part of the step and pour the stuff in place. you can chisel or file it down afterward to get the exact shape you want. I patched our old steps in affton before we sold the house and it looked real good. I used two different kinds of the quick cement but I can't remember the names of the products.

btw, get rid of the old piece and just fill the whole missing part

that's what I would fukking do man
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

I think quickcrete might be too gritty for a finished surface like a step.

They've got concrete repair kits at Lowe's/HD that'll work just fine. If you're hell bent on "gluing" that piece back in they make concrete caulk you can use to fill in the gaps too.

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by stinkdified »

thanks yall. i think im gonna try some of that 10 minute stuff and do the board thing also. yea, im gonna try to just fill it in, i dont really care too much about the looks, its just me tripping over it all the time. anyway, thanks again

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

I'm a little late to this party, but this is probably closer to what you're looking for:

Lowe's or Home Depot would carry it.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

You know that...glue...for bird cages?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

ViPeRx007 wrote:You know that...glue...for bird cages?
Put it on a zit!

I actually had that same thought when I read this thread...scary.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

big d note wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:You know that...glue...for bird cages?
Put it on a zit!

I actually had that same thought when I read this thread...scary.
:lol:

Glad to see someone understood the reference. Long live the late Mitch!

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

we expect a full photo update.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

goon attack wrote:we expect a full photo update.

Photos are so 1990. We expect a fully commentated youtube video.

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by stinkdified »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
goon attack wrote:we expect a full photo update.
Photos are so 1990. We expect a fully commentated youtube video.
this is how i feel about the situation...and a photo update will be available soon...i just started a new job and am kinda busy right now
Why I Hate YouTube
TUESDAY, 22. MAY 2007, 03:13:10

I can only believe that everyone I know sits on YouTube all day and all night, looking for some new distraction. On IRC and via IMs I get links to YouTube constantly, and you know what? I hate it.

Quality: It's terrible. It's like a throwback to the old days where MPG1 and VideoCDs looked awesome. I don't care that you have to cut the quality to make it take less space. If you can't do it right, don't do it!
Speed: It takes FOREVER. I can download stuff at up to 1MB/s, but videos from YouTube take 10-30s to start, and pause frequently to buffer up. It's fricken' annoying. The alternative is to wait until it's done loading but who's got that kind of patience?
Size: They're so tiny. Even if it loads and you get a static scene that doesn't look like ass you can still barely make out what's going on in a screenshot. And forget about making it fullscreen, it's like watching a fat pixel orgy. All these horrible squares doing horrible things to each other.
Links: The links are nonsense. You can't tell without clicking on the link what you're going to see when you get there. youtube.com/watch?v=zRhB7xgdcfq or something. What's wrong with youtube.com/watch?v=Billy_Steps_on_a_Bee or similar?

Now I'm not saying everything needs to look like an Apple trailer, but come on. Google's got all the storage and bandwidth in the world and they're making us suffer with this crap? Meh.

Note to all: Stop sending me links to YouTube. Seriously. (Frank) off. I have no interest in interrupting what I'm doing for a grain-o-vision video of some jackass falling on his face.

And boy does it ever suck for gameplay videos. You can barely tell it's Mario, and don't even think about posting video of a modern high res game. "That blue blob is attacking that red blob! Holy crap this is AWESOME!" Or, you know, not.

Grr.
http://my.opera.com/NFGman/blog/why-i-hate-youtube

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Prngr44 wrote:I think quickcrete might be too gritty for a finished surface like a step.

They've got concrete repair kits at Lowe's/HD that'll work just fine. If you're hell bent on "gluing" that piece back in they make concrete caulk you can use to fill in the gaps too.
What he said.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

concrete caulk sucks. don't listen to these two. they don't know what the fukk they're talking about. I think they are both liberals too. Go figure.

I have done EXACTLY what you're doing. Rip the piece out and fully replace it.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

ohio BLUES wrote:I'm a little late to this party, but this is probably closer to what you're looking for:

Lowe's or Home Depot would carry it.
Handier than a pocket on a t-shirt, yessir.