Peavy?

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Peavy?

Post by Ruutu15 »

It's no secret that San Diego is trying to shed salary, although they're about to pick up Giles' 9M option. Buster Olney is saying that the Cardinals are looking into bringing Peavy, along with Khalil Greene to St. Louis. Peavy has said that STL is one of the 5 or 6 destinations that he would approve, and also that he would veto any deal to the American League.

So, in this scenario, who do we send back?

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Peavy?

Post by BoxCar »

I'd imagine the talks would start with Rasmus and the Cards would not agree. It would probably take an outfielder (preferably Duncan, but more likely Schumaker) and some pitching or infield prospect. Schumaker makes sense as part of a centerpiece- low salary, young and a good talent. They'd obviously demand more, I'd say if we can land Peavy and Greene for Schumaker and prospects (not including Rasmus) it would be pretty sweet.
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Peavy is still young. I'd give Rasmus, because it's going to take a lot to get those two guys, and I'll take a young Cy Young pitcher over a player that may or may not develop at the MLB level anyday.

Do you think Rasmus is going to be better than Peavy? To me, that's what it comes down to. I'm not trying to be abrasive, so don't take it that way... :)

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

I would imagine the Padres would ask for Rasmus, Jesse Todd and Bryan Anderson to start. That's a lot, but imagine a rotation with a healthy Carpenter,Wainwright,Peavy,Wellemeyer and Lohse. That's impressive!

As far as Khalil Greene, I'm not to high on the dude. Doesn't hit for average and doesn't get on base much, but if we had to take him to get Peavy. Then you do what you have to do.

:thumbsupcards:
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

I think Rasmus is so valuable because teams are looking for the next Longoria and he has the "best" chance to become a high-impact rookie and player for a long time. If the Pads would be satisfied with Rasmus alone then I think you have to do it, but once they ask for more you have to consider their alternatives. They seem to need to shed salary so they need to get rid of Peavy more than we need to get rid of Rasmus/acquire Peavy.

I think comparing Rasmus directly to Peavy is tough though, obviously Rasmus hasn't done much to prove he is an all-star while Peavy has been a Cy Young contender every year. I see your point, but I also like the idea of building from within with Rasmus and watching him (hopefully) reach his full potential.
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

Yea, It won't be easy dealing Rasmus. I want to see what he can do up with the Cardinals, but we do have a glut of OF's.

I heard that the Padres want a major league ready OFer and 2 pitching prospects.
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'd say these trade talks start and end with Colby Rasmus. Peavy is a Cy Young winner...you are not going to get a Cy Young winner for Duncan or any other crappy Cardinals player we are looking to pawn off.

It's going to take some of our top prospects, most likely Rasmus included, to lock down this deal.

Like stlmark said, Todd, Anderson and Rasmus would probably be the first names brought up. I don't mind giving up Anderson, he's sitting behind Yadier Molina and will continue to do so. It's a nice problem to have and remember Yadi is only, what? 25-26 years old?

I'm torn on this deal. I'd hate to see Rasmus go without seeing him play a single game in the bigs for the Cardinals. However, Peavy, Wainwright, Lohse, and Carpenter (when or more importantly, if he finally gets healthy) and whoever you stick in the 5th spot? That's an intimidating rotation. You would win a lot of series on that rotation alone.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

Get them Leeery!.....er, Jonnnnn!
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.