New York Yankees

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

New York Yankees

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Signing Teixeira settles it. The team is pure evil. Up until now I've just sort of sloughed off the Yankees, not really hating them but not really liking them. After their $424 million in FA signings this offseason they can go to hell. I hope they implode with all of those high dollar ego's on their team.

Might as well sign Manny next.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: New York Yankees

Post by OS »

I currently hate the Red Sox more than the Yankees, but this offseason could potentially lead to that changing.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

I never really understood why people measure contracts in terms of the total throughout it.. I mean if I signed a 3-year contract at my job (not that my job even does contracts) I wouldn't say that the 3-year figure is what i'm getting paid.. That said yeah I hate the Yankees but somehow the Red Sox and their fans have shown themselves as bigger douches.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

Some people actually have said that the Yankees spending is good for baseball. For example, Kevin Kennedy on XM. Why would this be good for baseball? :doh: It's f*cking ridiculous!
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

It's not so much the Yankees, but the system they exist in. The market allows them to charge outrageous prices for tix and still sell them. So go for it. At least they are putting the money back into the product and at least trying to give their fans the best team possible for their money. Unlike some other teams I know.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:I never really understood why people measure contracts in terms of the total throughout it.. I mean if I signed a 3-year contract at my job (not that my job even does contracts) I wouldn't say that the 3-year figure is what i'm getting paid.. That said yeah I hate the Yankees but somehow the Red Sox and their fans have shown themselves as bigger douches.
Go year by year then. Either way they're way in front of everyone else. Not that it necessarily makes them the best team but they're spending is pretty ridiculous. I don't know the exact numbers but I'd guess that per season the Yankees now have more wrapped up in A-Rod, CC, Tex than most teams have on their whole roster. That's not including Burnett, Jeter, etc. etc.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:I never really understood why people measure contracts in terms of the total throughout it.. I mean if I signed a 3-year contract at my job (not that my job even does contracts) I wouldn't say that the 3-year figure is what i'm getting paid.. That said yeah I hate the Yankees but somehow the Red Sox and their fans have shown themselves as bigger douches.
Go year by year then. Either way they're way in front of everyone else. Not that it necessarily makes them the best team but they're spending is pretty ridiculous. I don't know the exact numbers but I'd guess that per season the Yankees now have more wrapped up in A-Rod, CC, Tex than most teams have on their whole roster. That's not including Burnett, Jeter, etc. etc.
Don't care...they have not done jack in several years, in spite of espn's effort to make it appear otherwise. Maybe one of the three pans out...call Pavano and ask his opinion.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

What bothers me about this is that (and I don't know baseball close enough to know if it transfers over) when one team wants to guarantee they get the best FAs out there and waaay overspends that then becomes "market value" in someone else's arbitration.. When clearly the markets are different.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

As an Oriole fan who wanted Teixiera because he believed all the smoke the dude blew about wanting to play for the Orioles, the Yankees and Teixiera can go rim each other. Cocksnouts.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

At the end of the day, what matters is what those guys are going to do on the field and all the money in the world won't necessarily buy a world series caliber team. Just go ahead and ask the Rays. The Yankees spend money like drunken sailors because they have the money and everyone knows that they're going to have a packed house every game because the typical Yankees fan is permanently attached to the late 90's and is painfully loyal to their team assuming that they have big price tag players coming in to renew hope from season to season.

They've all but given up on the Hughes/Kennedy experiment which means that those two kids are probably going to end up elsewhere to have good careers while the guys who got contracts which are way too long go for broke now and may or may not, but probably won't, get it done. This is why I'm a recovering Yankees fan. They're going right back to the crap they did in the 80's. In the 90's when they were winning, it was with homegrown and character guys, generally. Put Hank and Hal in charge 15 years ago and Derek Jeter, Mo Rivera and Jorge Posada are all playing in 3 different cities. They abandoned the concept of growing your own players because the typical Yankee fan got hooked on winning and when the winning stopped, they demanded high priced free agents to put an end to the losing and kept coming back to make sure they had the money to do it.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

stlmark wrote:Some people actually have said that the Yankees spending is good for baseball. For example, Kevin Kennedy on XM. Why would this be good for baseball? :doh: It's f*cking ridiculous!
These are the same people that think that a cap is a bad thing for the NHL.... which generally were Leafs and Wings fans.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

The Yankees don't get it and apparently never will. They're playing fantasy baseball...and that hasn't worked for the last 8 years, which they seem to think is an eternity since their last title. Look at that mid-90's dynasty...Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Bernie Williams...some of their top players were home grown. They had role players like Scott Brosius and Jim Leyritz that came through in big spots. Tino Martinez and Paul O'Neill weren't the best of the best, but they got the job done. Same for David Wells and David Cone...guys like that on their pitching staff.

The point...the Yankees built a dynasty by the right mix of homegrown talent, role players, and borderline stars. Rivera and Jeter became the superstars of those teams if you think about it. Now, the Yankees trip over themselves trying to pick up every big name free agent out there, and it usually backfires. Anyone remember Carl Pavano? Jaret Wright? Giambi was a bust. The list could go on and on....

The Yankees are terrible for baseball. They're annoying. They're the reason that guys like Jason Marquis are making $7 million a season because they continue to drive salaries up. Their media and their fans are annoying. A-Rod is more of a tabloid star than a baseball players these days. And Derek Jeter has herpies.

I don't like the Yankees and the Red Sox are turning into their little brothers, which is ironic because those two teams hate each other. Anyway, sorry for ranting.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Mariano Duncan, now there was a team player. Nothing like these overpaid primadonnas they have on the team now.

If they could go back to building teams like they did in the 90's, I could go back to being a fan, but as long as they're going to spend everyone out of the market for every big name that comes along, and drive up ticket prices to pay for their baggage, screw them.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

At least everyone has a solid reason to hate them again.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

OS wrote:I currently hate the Red Sox more than the Yankees

++

I wear a Yankees cap, not because I like the Yankees, but because there is no better way to show hatred for the Red Sox.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

dmiles2186 wrote:The Yankees don't get it and apparently never will. They're playing fantasy baseball...and that hasn't worked for the last 8 years, which they seem to think is an eternity since their last title. Look at that mid-90's dynasty...Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Bernie Williams...some of their top players were home grown. They had role players like Scott Brosius and Jim Leyritz that came through in big spots. Tino Martinez and Paul O'Neill weren't the best of the best, but they got the job done. Same for David Wells and David Cone...guys like that on their pitching staff.

The point...the Yankees built a dynasty by the right mix of homegrown talent, role players, and borderline stars. Rivera and Jeter became the superstars of those teams if you think about it. Now, the Yankees trip over themselves trying to pick up every big name free agent out there, and it usually backfires. Anyone remember Carl Pavano? Jaret Wright? Giambi was a bust. The list could go on and on....

The Yankees are terrible for baseball. They're annoying. They're the reason that guys like Jason Marquis are making $7 million a season because they continue to drive salaries up. Their media and their fans are annoying. A-Rod is more of a tabloid star than a baseball players these days. And Derek Jeter has herpies.

I don't like the Yankees and the Red Sox are turning into their little brothers, which is ironic because those two teams hate each other. Anyway, sorry for ranting.
QFA+++