PC to TV - w/HDMI

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

PC to TV - w/HDMI

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Maybe somebody here can help me out. When I built my computer not too long ago I had no intention of connecting it to my TV so I didn't really buy the parts to do so. Now I've decided I'd rather watch the movies I have on my big screen instead of my monitor so I tried to hook it all up. My graphics card came with a DVI to HDMI adapter so I plugged that in and got the video over to the TV fine. The problem is with the audio. My graphics card has an audio pass-through cable that is supposed to allow the audio to go through the HDMI cable but I don't seem to have anywhere to plug it in. It's a 2 pin digital audio cable that is supposed to plug into my sound card or my motherboard. I have no place on either. What would be the cheapest way to make this work?
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: PC to TV - w/HDMI

Post by goon attack »

this doesn't have anything to do with drinking, hot bitches, and rock and roll. I can't help. Sorry.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Thanks for the help anyway goon.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

goon attack wrote:this doesn't have anything to do with drinking, hot bitches, and rock and roll. I can't help. Sorry.
It does have to do with tools, though.. You're an expert at that.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:
goon attack wrote:this doesn't have anything to do with drinking, hot bitches, and rock and roll. I can't help. Sorry.
It does have to do with tools, though.. You're an expert at that.
Stfu and go make sure your car hasn't been jacked outside your new, wicked pad.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

ViPeRx007 wrote:Maybe somebody here can help me out. When I built my computer not too long ago I had no intention of connecting it to my TV so I didn't really buy the parts to do so. Now I've decided I'd rather watch the movies I have on my big screen instead of my monitor so I tried to hook it all up. My graphics card came with a DVI to HDMI adapter so I plugged that in and got the video over to the TV fine. The problem is with the audio. My graphics card has an audio pass-through cable that is supposed to allow the audio to go through the HDMI cable but I don't seem to have anywhere to plug it in. It's a 2 pin digital audio cable that is supposed to plug into my sound card or my motherboard. I have no place on either. What would be the cheapest way to make this work?
Do you have access to a smart person?
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

ohio BLUES wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:Maybe somebody here can help me out. When I built my computer not too long ago I had no intention of connecting it to my TV so I didn't really buy the parts to do so. Now I've decided I'd rather watch the movies I have on my big screen instead of my monitor so I tried to hook it all up. My graphics card came with a DVI to HDMI adapter so I plugged that in and got the video over to the TV fine. The problem is with the audio. My graphics card has an audio pass-through cable that is supposed to allow the audio to go through the HDMI cable but I don't seem to have anywhere to plug it in. It's a 2 pin digital audio cable that is supposed to plug into my sound card or my motherboard. I have no place on either. What would be the cheapest way to make this work?
Do you have access to a smart person?
Obviously not....

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Frankly I'm surprised that I'm apparently the only person who is doing this....

You guys suck! :P

blueshockeynut
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blueshockeynut »

LGB,

You arnt the only one trying to do this, but be aware, the video card you are using to plug into your TV with HDMI should allow the audio to pass thru as well, the only thing you would want to plug any audio into may be a receiver, but that is about it, if the video card on the pc is setup correctly, it should pass thru audio without any issues.

Also, your motherboard or your sound card may not support audio passthru for HDMI, double check your documentation.

JB

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

How about this.. I have surround sound speakers that plug into my DVD player.. Just watching satellite or playing PS3 also utilizes the surround sound b/c I have it through an audio out cable into one of the 2 auxilary slots on the DVD player..

I would like to take a crappy computer (I'm getting ready to replace my curent one so could use it or my roommate's non-utilized one) and plug it into the HDTV.. But I want the audio to plug into the DVD player for sound. The purpose is so when I watch stuff like hulu or powerflv or whatever else I can do it in my living room instead of at my desk. I could just throw some shitty computer speakers out there but I figure what's the point when I already have 5 speakers and a woofer spread throughout the room.

So is there a cable that will plug into the audio slot for the computer on one end and has the red and white audio cables on the other?

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

blueshockeynut wrote:LGB,

You arnt the only one trying to do this, but be aware, the video card you are using to plug into your TV with HDMI should allow the audio to pass thru as well, the only thing you would want to plug any audio into may be a receiver, but that is about it, if the video card on the pc is setup correctly, it should pass thru audio without any issues.

Also, your motherboard or your sound card may not support audio passthru for HDMI, double check your documentation.

JB
Holy crap it's a post that is relative to the thread!

I think I'm screwed. I don't have anywhere to plug the audio passthrough cable from the video card.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Screw it, I'm gonna wait and buy this bad boy:

Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD

HDMI Input
HDMI Type A Plug: Can plug in HDMI or DVI to HDMI cable from the graphic card, or connect Blu-Ray, HD DVD, HD Player that support HDMI.

HDMI Output
HDMI Type A Plug: Output HD video and HD Audio to HDMI and HDCP compliant Digital TV or AV Receiver.

Digital Output
RCA/TOSLINK Combo Jack: Can connect to external DAC, AV Receiver, and Decoder through a 75Ω Coaxial cable or optical mini cable. Can play S/PDIF Stereo PCM and Dolby Digital AC-3, DTS등 bit-stream content.

Headphone Output
3.5mm(1/8”) stereo mini-phone jack: Includes an independent Headphone amp and can activate at impedance 16Ω ~ 600Ω headphone or earphone. Also, can be used, when configuring a Stereo system (not using the Analog I/O cable) as a Front Line Output. Note If you connect a Passive Speaker (with lower than 16Ω) to this Headphone output, it can cause this audio card to not function correctly.

Analog I/O Multi Connector
D-SUB 15 pin connector: Connect the Analog I/O cable bundled in this package and use it for Mic input, Line input and as an 8-channel line output Jack.

----------------------------------------

* HDMI v1.3a compliant
* Support PCM 8CH*24-bit/192KHz
* Support 24p True Cinema output
* Support Blu-Ray via Cyberlink’s PowerDVD latest application
* Support Non-downsampled Blu-ray Audio
* Support high bit rate audio such as Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio bitstream
* Developed around Creative X-Fi native PCI express
* Support for Dolby Digital Live for Windows XP and Vista, and DTS Neo:PC & DTS Interactive for Vista
This should solve all my problems...and then some.
Last edited by ViPeRx007 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueshockeynut
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blueshockeynut »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:How about this.. I have surround sound speakers that plug into my DVD player.. Just watching satellite or playing PS3 also utilizes the surround sound b/c I have it through an audio out cable into one of the 2 auxilary slots on the DVD player..

I would like to take a crappy computer (I'm getting ready to replace my curent one so could use it or my roommate's non-utilized one) and plug it into the HDTV.. But I want the audio to plug into the DVD player for sound. The purpose is so when I watch stuff like hulu or powerflv or whatever else I can do it in my living room instead of at my desk. I could just throw some shitty computer speakers out there but I figure what's the point when I already have 5 speakers and a woofer spread throughout the room.

So is there a cable that will plug into the audio slot for the computer on one end and has the red and white audio cables on the other?
Your best bet would be to upgrade the audio card on the computer, something that supports 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound in this case, most of the Sound Blaster cards do that nowadays, the audio slots for the most part should be the same type of audio slots in the back of the DVD player, also as a side note, look at a piece of software called TVersity, I am not sure it works with the PS3 but it does for the Xbox 360, it is a piece of software that runs on a PC connected to your network, and from there, you can connect to quite a bit, go check it out, also look into another piece of software called Media Mall PlayOn, which connects to Hulu, again, check to see if the PS3 is supported, that way you might be able to get around hooking up a PC to the DVD player, and just play everything thru the PS3 itself which is already hooked up.

Hope that helps.

JB

blueshockeynut
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blueshockeynut »

ViPeRx007,

Now that is the way to go, at least it has 8 Channels/24 bits, any idea on cost yet though, this is a pretty loaded card.

JB

Storm13
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Storm13 »

blueshockeynut wrote:
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:How about this.. I have surround sound speakers that plug into my DVD player.. Just watching satellite or playing PS3 also utilizes the surround sound b/c I have it through an audio out cable into one of the 2 auxilary slots on the DVD player..

Your best bet would be to upgrade the audio card on the computer, something that supports 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound in this case, most of the Sound Blaster cards do that nowadays, the audio slots for the most part should be the same type of audio slots in the back of the DVD player, also as a side note, look at a piece of software called TVersity, I am not sure it works with the PS3 but it does for the Xbox 360, it is a piece of software that runs on a PC connected to your network, and from there, you can connect to quite a bit, go check it out, also look into another piece of software called Media Mall PlayOn, which connects to Hulu, again, check to see if the PS3 is supported, that way you might be able to get around hooking up a PC to the DVD player, and just play everything thru the PS3 itself which is already hooked up.

Hope that helps.

JB
But the actual answer to his question is "yes, there's a cable made that splits from a mini-headphone jack to two RCA jacks".
Spent my money, teasing me honey, what should I do?
When you gonna show me, I think you owe me, come on baby, see it through.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

blueshockeynut wrote:ViPeRx007,

Now that is the way to go, at least it has 8 Channels/24 bits, any idea on cost yet though, this is a pretty loaded card.

JB
Yea I've been trying to find a price but can't find it anywhere. I'm guessing it won't be cheap but hopefully not ridiculous. While it's new technology for a computer it's not "really" new....it'll probably be like $400 though just to really tick me off.

blueshockeynut
Rookie
Rookie

Post by blueshockeynut »

ViPeRx007,

Was able to find out that it looks to be an MSRP of $249, which isnt all that bad.

JB

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

blueshockeynut wrote:ViPeRx007,

Was able to find out that it looks to be an MSRP of $249, which isnt all that bad.

JB
That's not bad at all. Now they just need to hurry up and release it. It's been delayed a few times already; I think it was originally supposed to be out last Nov/Dec,

When I was looking around for a price one guy said that the Dolby License alone would make it at least $400 so he must have just been a :moran:

negronic
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by negronic »

you can go to radioshack and get a stereo jack to RCA adaptor for 5-10 bucks.

however, if you really are looking at spending 250 bucks on a fancy sound card, why don't you just get this:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Onkyo-TX ... tDetail.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its nothing fancy, but it will let you run your HDMI cable and stereo audio out of your PC and into the inputs on the receiver. in fact, you can hook up to 3 HDMI devices to your receiver and switch between on your TV them seamelssly. it will also do 1080p upconversion (can sometimes be kinda gay, though) on non-HD sources.

plus if you ever get some good speakers you will be all set.

the only drawback of that unit is that that model doesn't do all of the fancy DTS-HD decoding that bluray can do... but really, for that money and what you are trying to do that would be overkill.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I already have this if it'll do the same thing:

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/prod ... TID=567571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Probably does more than I even realize....All of this stuff is new to me if you haven't figured it out.