PC to TV - w/HDMI

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

negronic
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Re: PC to TV - w/HDMI

Post by negronic »

dude, just use that. go to radioshack and get a mini-stereo jack (headphone) to female stereo RCA jacks. plug the headphone side into your PC then just run a regular pair of RCA cables (red and white) to the receiver. then run your HDMI from your PC to the receiver and another hdmi from the receiver to the TV.

all set without spending money on a soundcard that is basically going to duplicate what your receiver was going to do anyway....

negronic
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by negronic »

how many HDMI devices do you have? that receiver has two in and one out. one line to your TV and two devices that it can switch between. you can always just uses other (non-HDMI) cables for your other devices if you run out of inputs.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

negronic wrote:how many HDMI devices do you have? that receiver has two in and one out. one line to your TV and two devices that it can switch between. you can always just uses other (non-HDMI) cables for your other devices if you run out of inputs.
With HDMI I have my xbox360 and my digital cable box. I can deal with just running one of those straight into the TV though to free up one spot for the PC input.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

negronic wrote:dude, just use that. go to radioshack and get a mini-stereo jack (headphone) to female stereo RCA jacks. plug the headphone side into your PC then just run a regular pair of RCA cables (red and white) to the receiver. then run your HDMI from your PC to the receiver and another hdmi from the receiver to the TV.

all set without spending money on a soundcard that is basically going to duplicate what your receiver was going to do anyway....
Couldn't I just use a coax cable and run it from the SPDIF Out jack on my X-Fi and then run that to the Coax Digital In jack on my receiver?

THIS is my soundcard which has the following connection options:

Headphone output with volume control knob (1/4-inch / 6.35 mm stereo jack)
Shared line in / Hi-Z in (1/4-inch / 6.35 mm stereo jack)
Shared line in / Microphone in (1/4-inch / 6.35 mm stereo jack)
Shared Auxiliary line in / Phono in (stereo RCA jacks)
Connection to Creative analog speaker systems for volume control (replaces the wired remote control or audio control pod that comes with the speakers)
MIDI in and out (two standard MIDI din connectors)
Optical SPDIF in and out (two TOSlink jacks)
Coaxial SPDIF in and out (two RCA jacks)
Connection to Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card (26 pin)

Alternately I could run an optical cable and do the same thing but I've read that Coax has a higher bandwidth.

negronic
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by negronic »

either of those should work.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Just an update. All of my cables came today and I hooked everything all up....

IT WORKS!

:okman:

Thanks for the help. I'm dumb when it comes to HDMI and Receivers....and life in general.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Re: lost

Post by abc789987 »

advbog wrote:Lost is an Emmy and Golden Globe award-winning American serial drama television series. It follows the lives of plane crash survivors on a mysterious tropical island, after a commercial passenger jet flying between Sydney, Australia and Los Angeles, United States crashes somewhere in the South Pacific. Each episode typically features a primary storyline on the island as well as a secondary storyline from another point in a character's life. The series was created by Damon Lindelof, J. J. Abrams and Jeffrey Lieber, and is filmed primarily on location in Oahu, Hawaii. The pilot episode was first broadcast on September 22, 2004.[2] Since then, four seasons have aired. Lost 1-4 dvd is produced by ABC Studios, Bad Robot Productions and Grass Skirt Productions and airs on the ABC Network in the United States. Its soundtrack is composed by Michael Giacchino. The current executive producers are Abrams, Lindelof, Bryan Burk, Jack Bender and Carlton Cuse. Due to its large ensemble cast and the cost of filming in Hawaii, the series is one of the most expensive on television.
thanks for clearing that up for me.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: lost

Post by ViPeRx007 »

advbog wrote:Lost is an Emmy and Golden Globe award-winning American serial drama television series. It follows the lives of plane crash survivors on a mysterious tropical island, after a commercial passenger jet flying between Sydney, Australia and Los Angeles, United States crashes somewhere in the South Pacific. Each episode typically features a primary storyline on the island as well as a secondary storyline from another point in a character's life. The series was created by Damon Lindelof, J. J. Abrams and Jeffrey Lieber, and is filmed primarily on location in Oahu, Hawaii. The pilot episode was first broadcast on September 22, 2004.[2] Since then, four seasons have aired. Lost 1-4 dvd is produced by ABC Studios, Bad Robot Productions and Grass Skirt Productions and airs on the ABC Network in the United States. Its soundtrack is composed by Michael Giacchino. The current executive producers are Abrams, Lindelof, Bryan Burk, Jack Bender and Carlton Cuse. Due to its large ensemble cast and the cost of filming in Hawaii, the series is one of the most expensive on television.
You sure use a lot of words to say absolutely nothing at all. Kudos for that you jackass.

negronic
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by negronic »

ViPeRx007 wrote:Just an update. All of my cables came today and I hooked everything all up....

IT WORKS!

Thanks for the help. I'm dumb when it comes to HDMI and Receivers....and life in general.
glad it worked out for you. now you've got me wanting to upgrade the subwoofer in my setup..

bastard.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

negronic wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:Just an update. All of my cables came today and I hooked everything all up....

IT WORKS!

glad it worked out for you. now you've got me wanting to upgrade the subwoofer in my setup..

bastard.
You're welcome. Buying audio/video equipment is like drugs.

I still need some nicer speakers but I'm resisting the temptation...for now.

negronic
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by negronic »

http://www.svsound.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

their shit is tight. its a bit unnerving that they aren't for sale in any stores and you can only get them via the internet...

but look for reviews. people buy these things blind and they absolutely blow away anything else that is similarly priced. I have a friend who had this MDX sub that he thought was the shit. then another friend got a SVS box for the same price that absolutely blew away the MDX. they have amazing range and give you super accurate, super deep bass.

i have some of their speakers and i couldn't be happier. they occasionally make an appearance on ebay but they go for a pretty hefty price. usually, once you factor in shipping you don't save that much from just buying them new.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

If anybody cares I resolved my issue a while ago.. 4 dollar cable off newegg and the sound is great.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

negronic wrote:http://www.svsound.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

their shit is tight. its a bit unnerving that they aren't for sale in any stores and you can only get them via the internet...

but look for reviews. people buy these things blind and they absolutely blow away anything else that is similarly priced. I have a friend who had this MDX sub that he thought was the shit. then another friend got a SVS box for the same price that absolutely blew away the MDX. they have amazing range and give you super accurate, super deep bass.

i have some of their speakers and i couldn't be happier. they occasionally make an appearance on ebay but they go for a pretty hefty price. usually, once you factor in shipping you don't save that much from just buying them new.
Oh I am well aware of SVS and their reputation in the audio community. More than one time I've had a system in my cart on that site. I'm amazed I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I may have some self control after all.