Rams Hire Spagnoulo

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Rams Hire Spagnoulo

Post by dmiles2186 »

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope this is the right call. I feel confident about it. Devaney knows him, his defense was the main reason the Giants won a Super Bowl a year ago...fingers crossed the Rams are on their way to getting back on track.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Rams Hire Spagnoulo

Post by OS »

I think of the options they were discussing they made the right choice, however I still think this team needed a veteran coach with a proven track record to whip this team into shape. He better have a great plan for an offensive coordinator.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

It looks like Garrett might get canned in Dallas. I wonder if his trip here was interest in the OC job?
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Leedog wrote:It looks like Garrett might get canned in Dallas. I wonder if his trip here was interest in the OC job?
That's exactly what I was wondering last night when he came in for his second interview. I think he wants out of Dallas, so it would work out.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I'd take Garrett as OC. The whole staff needs to be sound. I trust Devaney in the front office and I'm hoping he drafts/signs the right players going forward this offseason. Atlanta, Baltimore, Miami...they all proved you can turn it around in one offseason and I think the Rams can do that. It just takes the right people. Add that to a fresh perspective from Spags, a solid football guy in Devaney...things are starting to take shape.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

Many people think the Haslett area wasn't long enough.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Leedog wrote:Many people think the Haslett area wasn't long enough.
And those people are absolutely crazy for thinking that. His defense was putrid here for 3 years and he was 2-10 as the head coach.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
Leedog wrote:Many people think the Haslett area wasn't long enough.
And those people are absolutely crazy for thinking that. His defense was putrid here for 3 years and he was 2-10 as the head coach.

I did like certain things about Haslett, though. He had fire and determination, and I don't really hold the defense's woes on his shoulders alone. Jesus Christ wouldn't run a good defense with one good linebacker and one decent d-back. Tinoisamoa has to be the most overrated player on the team, and Tye Hill is a lost cause. Until the Rams improve their linebackers, it won't matter who's running the defense.

Speaking of linebackers, I'd love to see Maualuga from USC taken at #2. He could play ILB, which would allow Witherspoon to return to the OLB position. Right now, a lot of mock drafts have the Rams taking Andre Smith. I'm not a fan of taking an O-Lineman in the first 2 or 3 rounds. I know they're important, but barring an Orlando Pace type player, it's such a roll of the dice, and that's a position that you can build through free-agency.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

Haslett had the Linehan stank on him here. Nuff said. Ten game losing streaks get coaches fired not hired. Yeah, it looked like he had fire, but look at the way he babied Incognito with all the bs he did through the year. Until after the last game when he burned Haslett again. If he woulda had the balls to "slap the candy bar outa his hand" after the Redskin game when Richie's hot head almost cost them their first win, he might still have a job. Anytime a guy is too much of a players coach in a sport like hockey or football, it sounds a little pussified to me.
Does the choice of coordinators sound like they shot their wad on the HC, so now they have to get guys with no coordinator experience (cheaper) as opposed to some of the vets looking for work? I'd kinda like someone with some experience somewhere.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

I didn't want to keep Haslett, but at the same time I don't feel that we got to see what a Haslett coached team would do either. We witnessed first hand how much Linehan meddled in the defense when he cut Fakhir Brown against Haslett's wishes. And since Linehan was fired I've heard it mentioned that Linehan was heavily involved in defensive personnel, including when it came to drafting. I guess that's his right as head coach, but that wasn't a Haslett built team on the field at all.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

I agree. Fair or not he got tainted by Linehan here and may be a good coach elsewhere. The D played better after the change, at least at first. I attributed that to the new DC being better at it than Haslett, but maybe your point is good... The real dif was Linehan wasn't around anymore to (Frank) it up anymore.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

And now Linehan is the Lions' offensive coordinator. Haha...I have no words. Sure, he may be a decent coordinator, but really Detroit? Really?

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

dmiles2186 wrote:And now Linehan is the Lions' offensive coordinator. Haha...I have no words. Sure, he may be a decent coordinator, but really Detroit? Really?
That is awesome.. Cheers to every team in Detroit sucking as much as the Lions will forever.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan