Anyone not have dish/cable?

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Anyone not have dish/cable?

Post by deadphish »

If this has been discussed, please point me to the thread.

I am considering dropping cable and just getting my TV/movies online (or elsewhere). Currently we have the Charter Bundle with HD and DVR. I think the TV part of the bundle is $70-$80 per month.

I figure a nice antenna for ota channels and maybe a dedicated PC or Mac to DVR/archive shows. The wife thinks I'm nutty, but I dunno...seems like I could save a lot. As far as Blues games go, there are plenty of streaming options online to watch. All the games in HD next year would suck to miss though.

I just wonder if I would miss that type of TV watching.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Re: Anyone not have dish/cable?

Post by Ruutu15 »

I actually don't have cable/sat at the moment, and haven't for a few months. TimeWarner is the only cable option, and I've had too many bad experiences with their customer service, and there are trees all over the place, so no DirecTV. I have an antenna connected to my HD, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. The quality of online programming is definitely improving, though. Networks are putting a lot of shows on their websites, and you can always find other shows by googling. If you're going to stream hockey, NHL Gamecenter Live is the only way to go. I know others have had issues, but my stream has always been TV quality.

I miss TV, no question. I hate having to go to BW's to watch anything that's on Versus. You'll find that a lot of internet streams (as far as sports go) are too bad of a quality to even waste time on. The good news is that you will save some money, and you can find shows pretty easily. I'd only do it if you were planning on getting NHL Gamecenter, though.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

If I wasn't stuck in a years agreement, I would cancel my cable... Ok, maybe I wouldn't because Sports do suck watching online, but...

You can find torrents of almost anything new on TV a day later if you don't mind waiting. I love my netflix, the streaming movies is awesome.

Why can't I just buy the 3 or 4 cable channels that I want to watch...

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

Hockey is virtually the only reason I pay for television.. I'll surf channels once or twice a week but my life wouldn't be effected at all if I couldn't. When I didn't have cable/sat (roughly two years) I stopped watching the team... Plus now that I have HD I can't go back to anything shitty quality. Hell even half the center ice games that claim to be HD I get pissed off as my roommate regularly hears me yell "this is NOT HD!!".

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

rebelmusic
All-Star
All-Star

Post by rebelmusic »

I don't have either...I have Uverse.
Proud LGB Sponsor of my junk!

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

rebelmusic wrote:I don't have either...I have Uverse.
I miss U-Verse :cry: