Could use some techie help

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Could use some techie help

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:Okay I've started building my new behometh computer.. Last night I hung the motherboard, installed the ram, video card, and wireless card without a hitch. I've also got the DVD drive and HDDs in place.. But I'm having issues with the CPU.. I'm using an ASUS motherboard and the Phenom II AMD 940 cpu chip.. I've watched about a dozen videos on installing CPUs and in every one there are levers that lock the cpu in place.. Mine has a lever but it does absolutely nothing when I put it down in terms of keeping the CPU in the motherboard. On top of that there are 3 or 4 bent pins.. I've researched that issue and may be able to fix it, but I'm curious how to hold the CPU in place.. Whenever I put the computer upright the CPU tries to fall right out (I keep my hand under it).. I haven't installed the heatsink that came with it b/c I bought a separate bigger one (Tuniq).. Do I just rely on the heatsink to hold the CPU in place or something or do I need to do something else? The chip does appear to work perfectly with the slot on the mobo (the gaps in pins and pinholes are in the exact right places), and the chip does fall into the slot but it just doesn't stay in at all..

Currently I'm waiting on the powersupply and the cpu heatsink to be delivered (which is held up cause of the snow.. I should have had both yesterday).

Oh also to anyone who wants to know.. The GTX 295 graphics card is huuuuge. I figured when I dropped so much dough on a video card it was gonna be unlike any I've had in the past, but I didn't expect it to be this freakin big. It weighs a few pounds and stretches all the way to the HDD bays in the front of the case.

Any help is appreciated as I can't wait to get this machine workin.
Yea the new graphics cards are ridiculous; I have a GTX 260. They're basically like two bricks put together. I actually had to cut out a part of the wall of my HDD bays to get mine to fit. I was kind of pissed off. Not pissed that I had to cut my case but just pissed I had to exert myself above and beyond the norm.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Prngr44 wrote:I doubt I'll ever build my own rig again with prices as low as they are.

All you have to do is buy a Dell with a few slots to slap in a nice video card and sound card if you REALLY want for about $600 and you can usually get a 20 or 22" LCD thrown in the deal too.

The bent pins thing is baaaad. Have you (melted) powered it on yet? I'd almost have sent the proc back immediately without trying to hit it with power if you bent those pins.
Come on, you'd miss the angry cursing, wall punching and 3AM nights that comes with building your own rig.

In my experience I still wouldn't trade it for a boxed system; way better bang for your buck when you can put in what you want.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

It's built! Now I just go through the process of trying to get my old stuff on to this one.. CPU works great.. Not sure the heatsink (which is giant and fits in the case by less than an inch) is on as optimal as it could be.. My friend did a test on it where it used 100% usage and the temp topped out at 47 degrees celsius. Generally more like 36-37 though.. Had some issue with the HDDs as they kept getting unplugged when I put the side panel (the right one) back on while Windows was installing and it got yanked slightly (causing me to have to redo the installation twice). Unfortunately I'm exhausted after working on this all night.. And tomorrow I have class all night after work so won't get to test it out for a couple days.. Still very excited to have this project done. Thanks for all the help everyone.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
Prngr44 wrote:I doubt I'll ever build my own rig again with prices as low as they are.

All you have to do is buy a Dell with a few slots to slap in a nice video card and sound card if you REALLY want for about $600 and you can usually get a 20 or 22" LCD thrown in the deal too.

The bent pins thing is baaaad. Have you (melted) powered it on yet? I'd almost have sent the proc back immediately without trying to hit it with power if you bent those pins.
Come on, you'd miss the angry cursing, wall punching and 3AM nights that comes with building your own rig.

In my experience I still wouldn't trade it for a boxed system; way better bang for your buck when you can put in what you want.
That's just it. Time is money too. It's WAY cheaper for me to go the Dell route and just slap in the few things they didn't come with (or were way too high to upgrade through the vendor.)

I gotta disagree with the more bang for your buck.

Just for shits... spec out a dual core 2.4Ghz proc, 3GB memory, 320GB HD, DVD-RW, Integrated sound & video on the MB and a 19" widescreen LCD capable of running 1680x1050. Don't forget the cost of a legal copy of XP Pro or Vista Home Premium. Can you keep it under $380 shipped? Mine was 330 plus shipping & tax.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Prngr44 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:

That's just it. Time is money too. It's WAY cheaper for me to go the Dell route and just slap in the few things they didn't come with (or were way too high to upgrade through the vendor.)

I gotta disagree with the more bang for your buck.

Just for shits... spec out a dual core 2.4Ghz proc, 3GB memory, 320GB HD, DVD-RW, Integrated sound & video on the MB and a 19" widescreen LCD capable of running 1680x1050. Don't forget the cost of a legal copy of XP Pro or Vista Home Premium. Can you keep it under $380 shipped? Mine was 330 plus shipping & tax.
You don't build your own system to have that moddest of specs.

Also.. Legal copies of Windows are lame.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Also.. Legal copies of Windows are lame.
Not when you employer has a volume license.

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

the knob wrote:
or you could use the free linux programey thingyy...

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

abc789987 wrote:
the knob wrote:
or you could use the free linux programey thingyy...
Is that the technical term or? :lol:
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by stinkdified »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:Also.. Legal copies of Windows are lame.
Aren't you a student? I got a legit copy of XP Pro when i was at rolla through the IT department for 11 dollars. I can't remember what the program was called, but it was everything from M$ you could want (office, access, visio, etc.) for way discounted.
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Is it discounted cheaper than free? Cause I got 64-bit Vista and Office 2007 for nothin.

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:Is it discounted cheaper than free? Cause I got 64-bit Vista and Office 2007 for nothin.
I'm tellin' Bill.

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:Is it discounted cheaper than free? Cause I got 64-bit Vista and Office 2007 for nothin.
aode > Red Wings fans > warez pupz

negronic
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by negronic »

Prngr44 wrote: Just for shits... spec out a dual core 2.4Ghz proc, 3GB memory, 320GB HD, DVD-RW, Integrated sound & video on the MB and a 19" widescreen LCD capable of running 1680x1050. Don't forget the cost of a legal copy of XP Pro or Vista Home Premium. Can you keep it under $380 shipped? Mine was 330 plus shipping & tax.
where/when did you get that deal?

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

negronic wrote:
Prngr44 wrote: Just for shits... spec out a dual core 2.4Ghz proc, 3GB memory, 320GB HD, DVD-RW, Integrated sound & video on the MB and a 19" widescreen LCD capable of running 1680x1050. Don't forget the cost of a legal copy of XP Pro or Vista Home Premium. Can you keep it under $380 shipped? Mine was 330 plus shipping & tax.
where/when did you get that deal?
Right around New Years.

I've seen the latest deal at 399 for a 2.8 Core 2 with 3GB, 250GB HD and a 20" widescreen monitor.

You won't be able to slap 2 PCI-e video cards in SLI mode into it, but you could stick 1 of 'em in there no prob.

I stalk the deals sites for stuff like this: gotapex.com, fatwallet.com, slickdeals.net

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

stinkdified wrote:
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:Also.. Legal copies of Windows are lame.
Aren't you a student? I got a legit copy of XP Pro when i was at rolla through the IT department for 11 dollars. I can't remember what the program was called, but it was everything from M$ you could want (office, access, visio, etc.) for way discounted.
Bingo. And when I graduated, Webster made the announcement that we'd be allowed to keep our webster.edu email addresses in perpetuity, which means I am SO loadin' up on discounted software every chance I get. :grin:

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Well I never had any CPU problems, but I had video card problems out the ass.. Deteriorated over about two months.. The good news is it is already shipped back to EVGA and they're sending me a replacement one. :)