Slightly OT: Pictures of Abandoned Sports Stadiums

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Slightly OT: Pictures of Abandoned Sports Stadiums

Post by dmiles2186 »

If this topic needs to be moved, so be it. But I am someone that is fascinated by pictures of stadiums from every sport, even basketball. But I love seeing pictures after the teams have moved out, and the massive arenas that once thrived night in and night out on game day are an empty, quiet, aged reminder of what they once were. Does anyone else have this interest?

I bring this up because I came across these great photos of the Sabres' old home, Buffalo's Memorial Auditorium (The Aud) taken in the last few years before they demolished the building. Apparently the photographer found a way in through a hatch in the sidewalk and was able to walk through the owner's boxes, the locker rooms, the gatekeeper's office. I'll attach the link, the photographer has great captions about how they got in, what each picture is, so if you want to look, it's a great way to spend 5 minutes or so. But I'll throw in a picture from the owner's box too, just to show what I'm talking about.

Here's the link....

http://www.roadwolf.ca/blog/?page_id=78

Check 'em out, it's a fascinating look at a former landmark of the NHL.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Re: Slightly OT: Pictures of Abandoned Sports Stadiums

Post by stlbluz »

I tried to clean the place up a little… But there was too much for one person.
:lol:
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

It's just amazing on how much crap was left behind. I would have taken the bomb robot.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

One day, we will see this for Joe Louis Arena and cream our pants.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

philco_3 wrote:It's just amazing on how much crap was left behind. I would have taken the bomb robot.
I liked the biohazard bag with the medical supplies from the last game in it, the one that was just spilled out onto the floor. If there was a way to haul those tickets booths out of there, I would have taken one of those.

And there was something eerily creepy about the zamboni ramp and then the other hallway leading off to the right.

GaBluesFan
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by GaBluesFan »

dmiles2186 wrote:
philco_3 wrote:It's just amazing on how much crap was left behind. I would have taken the bomb robot.
I liked the biohazard bag with the medical supplies from the last game in it, the one that was just spilled out onto the floor. If there was a way to haul those tickets booths out of there, I would have taken one of those.

And there was something eerily creepy about the zamboni ramp and then the other hallway leading off to the right.
I LOVE that stuff. I'll try to find the link but I found a story about a guy who went through abandoned buildings in big cities. He saw some CRAZY S**T! Dead bodies, homeless people living around them who don't care, old cars, all kinds of stuff.
REPRESENTING REAL HOCKEY DOWN SOUTH!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

These pics are eerie as hell; its awesome. I like all the captions- reminds me of the play by play of videos of those deep sea subs searching Titanic and crap :lol:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

That is an awesome set of photos from the Aud. I would love to see some current photos of Chicago Stadium, but alas, it is a parking lot.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Ruutu15 wrote:That is an awesome set of photos from the Aud. I would love to see some current photos of Chicago Stadium, but alas, it is a parking lot.
Chicago Stadium was one of the ones I looked for but I couldn't find too many pictures of it in its abandoned state. The Aud has been demolished as well, I believe. I saw a picture of it when it was half-demolished, same for Chicago Stadium. There's just something so weird about seeing these gigantic arenas cut in half, twisted metal hanging out the side, crumbled brick or concrete falling to the ground.

I found a great site that had TONS of pictures of the old (Detroit) Tigers Stadium that sat empty for almost 10 years. They had started to let people go in in recent years to take pictures. Decay on the dugouts and seats were apparent, as well as vegetation growing in the concourses etc. I can't find the link anymore though. If I do, I'll post it.

If anyone else has any good pictures, feel free to throw them in here.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

When I was given a press pass one game last season, I had to go downstairs at Scottrade to get it. I was wandering around in the basement, looking for an elevator back up, and down a vacant hallway I found an old as hell looking huge wooden door. It looked 100 years old, which is odd, since Scottrade was built in the 90's. I am guessing that it was part of the old Keil Opera House that connects to Scottrade. I wanted to go in and look around, but it was locked up.
I bet the Keil Opera House is a massive dump inside now. It's been vacant for decades.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

I'm surprised the city of Detroit hasn't forced some one to tear down the old Tiger Stadium, but I guess Detroit is used to crappy, deteriorating buildings...like East St. Louis.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

philco_3 wrote:I'm surprised the city of Detroit hasn't forced some one to tear down the old Tiger Stadium, but I guess Detroit is used to crappy, deteriorating buildings...like East St. Louis.
Tiger Stadium was one of my favorite parks to catch a game. Everyone talked about the charm of Fenway and Wrigley, but I liked Tiger Stadium the best of the three. I always thought the city should leave Tiger Stadium where it is, although it is a shame to see the old place turn into a weed-infested dump.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Ruutu15 wrote:
philco_3 wrote:I'm surprised the city of Detroit hasn't forced some one to tear down the old Tiger Stadium, but I guess Detroit is used to crappy, deteriorating buildings...like East St. Louis.
Tiger Stadium was one of my favorite parks to catch a game. Everyone talked about the charm of Fenway and Wrigley, but I liked Tiger Stadium the best of the three. I always thought the city should leave Tiger Stadium where it is, although it is a shame to see the old place turn into a weed-infested dump.
I just remember Tiger Stadium having that 450'(?) center field.

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

http://www.undergroundozarks.com

Lots of cool "exploring" sites and links to other explorers' sites.

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

philco_3 wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:
I just remember Tiger Stadium having that 450'(?) center field.
Don't forget the flagpole that was in play much like Houston has today.
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

GaBluesFan wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

I LOVE that stuff. I'll try to find the link but I found a story about a guy who went through abandoned buildings in big cities. He saw some CRAZY S**T! Dead bodies, homeless people living around them who don't care, old cars, all kinds of stuff.

Besides the dead bodies maybe, isn't that what you would expect to be in an abandoned building? Guess thats crazy shit though.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Update on the old Buffalo Aud.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281098

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

I know it's not really an "old" building, but I drove by Reunion Arena the other day (where the stars played their home games until 2001, its last game was actually against us, game 2 of the western conference semis when we swept them). It's halfway through the demolition process, you can literally see right into the arena, almost as if it was a cross section of it. It was bizarre to say the least.

EDIT:

I found a picture:

Imagine that but about with only about half of the arena left.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

It was only a matter of time for Reunion after they built the American Airlines Center. The location is definitely more valuable than the building at this point. What are they going to build in its place? More condos? I saw a few games at Reunion and it was pretty crummy. It wasn't that run down, just dated, small, and lame. I remember during their Stanley Cup run they had to bring in big temporary air conditioners to keep the building cool enough that the ice wouldn't melt. The original HVAC system was not designed for hockey in the Texas summer.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

big d note wrote:It was only a matter of time for Reunion after they built the American Airlines Center. The location is definitely more valuable than the building at this point. What are they going to build in its place? More condos? I saw a few games at Reunion and it was pretty crummy. It wasn't that run down, just dated, small, and lame. I remember during their Stanley Cup run they had to bring in big temporary air conditioners to keep the building cool enough that the ice wouldn't melt. The original HVAC system was not designed for hockey in the Texas summer.
I definitely recall when they were regularly in the last couple rounds how terrible their ice was. At times players would just step through it in places. It was comically bad even with the extra AC.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan