SCT: Nothing But Crosby's vs Ghey Things. (Finals Thread)

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Re: SCT: Nothing But Crosby's vs Ghey Things. (Finals Thread)

Post by stlbluz »

DETROIT (AP) -- Marian Hossa's about to find out if he made the right choice.

The Slovakian forward chose to sign a one-year contract with the defending champion Detroit Red Wings last summer after turning down a longer and more lucrative deal from the runner-up Pittsburgh Penguins.

He sacrificed stability and a lot of money, saying Detroit gave him his best shot to complete his career by hoisting the Cup.

After the Penguins beat the Wings in Game 6 to force a final game Friday night, Hossa was asked if he dreamed this scenario would happen.

"Who would? Would you?" Hossa responded to a pack of reporters surrounding him Tuesday night following a 2-1 loss in Pittsburgh that tied the series. "There wouldn't be many people, but the situation right now is how it is.

"I have to, we have to deal with that."

No one seems to have more at stake than Hossa, and he seems to be crumbling under the pressure.

Hossa has not scored against his former teammates and has contributed just three assists.

Pressing?

"Definitely," Hossa said. "When you haven't scored for several games, you try to do maybe too much. I need to relax more and forget about everything."

But Detroit coach Mike Babcock wants Hossa to focus on his choice and embrace it.

"This is why he came here," Babcock said. "Here's an opportunity. You have Game 7. You spend your whole life when you're a kid, at least in Canada, when you don't even have a net, you've got little snow piles on the street, dreaming of scoring the game-winning goal of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final."

Hossa scored a team-high 40 goals in the regular season. He was often an offensive force in the Western Conference playoffs even though he scored in just three games, netting two goals in each of the Game 4s.

He was strong with the puck and created scoring chances early in the Stanley Cup finals before fading in the past two games, getting only one shot on Marc-Andre Fleury in Game 6 and two shots on him the previous game.

White-clad fans at Mellon Arena were ready to boo him every time he had the puck Tuesday night, but they didn't have to waste much breath because he barely touched it.

"I don't think it's pressing," Babcock insisted. "I think he's way better at home than he's been in their building for whatever reason."

Hossa had two assists in Joe Louis Arena when the Red Wings took a 2-0 lead in the series and had an assist there in Game 5 as they took a 3-2 advantage.

Ending a seven-game scoring drought and helping Detroit hoist the Cup against the teammates and franchise he left behind certainly would be sweet.

"Hossa is playing hard and you know how bad he wants to win," teammate Kris Draper said. "If he wants to talk things through, there are guys there for him.

"But he's a true professional, and we know we're going to see his best game."

Poetic Justice. :lol:
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

stlbluz wrote:DETROIT (AP) -- Marian Hossa's about to find out if he made the right choice.

The Slovakian forward chose to sign a one-year contract with the defending champion Detroit Red Wings last summer after turning down a longer and more lucrative deal from the runner-up Pittsburgh Penguins.

He sacrificed stability and a lot of money, saying Detroit gave him his best shot to complete his career by hoisting the Cup.

After the Penguins beat the Wings in Game 6 to force a final game Friday night, Hossa was asked if he dreamed this scenario would happen.

"Who would? Would you?" Hossa responded to a pack of reporters surrounding him Tuesday night following a 2-1 loss in Pittsburgh that tied the series. "There wouldn't be many people, but the situation right now is how it is.

"I have to, we have to deal with that."

No one seems to have more at stake than Hossa, and he seems to be crumbling under the pressure.

Hossa has not scored against his former teammates and has contributed just three assists.

Pressing?

"Definitely," Hossa said. "When you haven't scored for several games, you try to do maybe too much. I need to relax more and forget about everything."

But Detroit coach Mike Babcock wants Hossa to focus on his choice and embrace it.

"This is why he came here," Babcock said. "Here's an opportunity. You have Game 7. You spend your whole life when you're a kid, at least in Canada, when you don't even have a net, you've got little snow piles on the street, dreaming of scoring the game-winning goal of Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final."

Hossa scored a team-high 40 goals in the regular season. He was often an offensive force in the Western Conference playoffs even though he scored in just three games, netting two goals in each of the Game 4s.

He was strong with the puck and created scoring chances early in the Stanley Cup finals before fading in the past two games, getting only one shot on Marc-Andre Fleury in Game 6 and two shots on him the previous game.

White-clad fans at Mellon Arena were ready to boo him every time he had the puck Tuesday night, but they didn't have to waste much breath because he barely touched it.

"I don't think it's pressing," Babcock insisted. "I think he's way better at home than he's been in their building for whatever reason."

Hossa had two assists in Joe Louis Arena when the Red Wings took a 2-0 lead in the series and had an assist there in Game 5 as they took a 3-2 advantage.

Ending a seven-game scoring drought and helping Detroit hoist the Cup against the teammates and franchise he left behind certainly would be sweet.

"Hossa is playing hard and you know how bad he wants to win," teammate Kris Draper said. "If he wants to talk things through, there are guys there for him.

"But he's a true professional, and we know we're going to see his best game."

Poetic Justice. :lol:
F*CKING AWESOME
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
ProngerBlues44 wrote:Bettman got his wish. What a horrid one sided series.

Sorry fellow Blues fans. I root against Detroit with everyone else, but every call, every play and every non-suspension was in Pittsburgh's favor. This league is quickly becoming a joke just like the NBA.
Wow. Just... wow.

Do you not recall the million penalties that the Pens got in game 5? What about that crucial Mark Eaton "crap my stick is stuck but the refs are going to call it tripping in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals" :roll: Give me a break. Pens won 4. Red Wings won 3. Game over.

On ProngerBlues44 Christmas List:
- Redwing's jersey
- Books on Conspiracies
- Crosby Dartboard
- Fertilizer and a map of Pittsburgh

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

RT @Rasalsul Marion Holla just received a telegram from The Knights Templar. It simply says, "You chose poorly."
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

northwest dave wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

Sorry fellow Blues fans. I root against Detroit with everyone else, but every call, every play and every non-suspension was in Pittsburgh's favor. This league is quickly becoming a joke just like the NBA.
Wow. Just... wow.

Do you not recall the million penalties that the Pens got in game 5? What about that crucial Mark Eaton "crap my stick is stuck but the refs are going to call it tripping in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals" :roll: Give me a break. Pens won 4. Red Wings won 3. Game over.

- Redwing's jersey
- Books on Conspiracies
- Crosby Dartboard
I have been accused twice of letting my hatred of Sydney Crosby overshadow my judgment of good hockey. Its apparent that everyone's hatred of the Red Wings is overshadowing their judgment on this board.

Seriously, you cannot tell me that the Penguins did not deserve every penalty in game 5. Crosby and co. were hackin and slashing left and right, not to mention the constant trips and dives they were doing. Use any other device of proving yourself right; game 5 was called 90% correct for once. The penalties to the Wings in game 6 were legit too. They lost that game themselves.

I am not blaming the refs for the entire loss. All I am saying is that the league has wanted this for years and they did everything in their power to make it happen this year. I.E. the non-Malkin suspension after game 2. I know there have been continuous arguments about that call on this board, but how is Malkin not looking for a fight, and "sending a message" when he circles the net and jumps Zetterberg from behind? Any other player, any other series that is a 1-gamer. If that's Havlat, Ovechkin or Datsyuk in the third round, that player is suspended for game 3. Would I agree with the call? No way. But that is how the play has been called since the first round. "Sending a message" was the biggest message relayed by Colin Campbell in this playoff year.

I think we are all going to have to agree to disagree.
Last edited by JPonder94 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Two things:

#1: this is fukking awesome
#2: someone please rescind ProngerBlues right to call himself a Blues fan, please. Seriously. What Blues fan roots for the Red Wings? I don't mean to be a prick, but honestly...
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

Wow. Just... wow.

- Redwing's jersey
- Books on Conspiracies
- Crosby Dartboard
I have been accused twice of letting my hatred of Sydney Crosby overshadow my judgment of good hockey. Its apparent that everyone's hatred of the Red Wings is overshadowing their judgment on this board.

Seriously, you cannot tell me that the Penguins did not deserve every penalty in game 5. Crosby and co. were hackin and slashing left and right, not to mention the constant trips and dives they were doing. Use any other device of proving yourself right; game 5 was called 90% correct for once. The penalties to the Wings in game 6 were legit too. They lost that game themselves.

I am not blaming the refs for the entire loss. All I am saying is that the league has wanted this for years and they did everything in their power to make it happen this year. I.E. the non-Malkin suspension after game 2. I know there have been continuous arguments about that call on this board, but how is Malkin not looking for a fight, and "sending a message" when he circles the net and jumps Zetterberg from behind? Any other player, any other series that is a 1-gamer. If that's Havlat, Ovechkin or Datsyuk in the third round, that player is suspended for game 3. Would I agree with the call? No way. But that is how the play has been called since the first round. "Sending a message" was the biggest message relayed by Colin Campbell in this playoff year.

What were the total penalties for each team in the series?

What Malkin did was what should have taken place by Turgeon, Demitra, and every other Blue...take it to the pussified wings for all their cheap shots and run...and the 'incidental' interference they've pulled since 1996.

Welcome to hockey. What Malkin did is what happens in NORMAL hockey...not this wimpy crap the wings have been playing for the past 10 years...hit and runaway.

Oh and I guess Ovechkin gets a pass for his staged "too hot to touch hockey stick" crap. If Crosby did that crap it would have been all over the board. But I guess it's all pretty neat and cool to you. It's a shame, because he's a fantastic player...too bad he's a hotshot dork. Crosby proved that it takes a team to win. Just ask Maxime Talbot.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

northwest dave wrote:What were the total penalties for each team in the series?

What Malkin did was what should have taken place by Turgeon, Demitra, and every other Blue...take it to the pussified wings for all their cheap shots and run...and the 'incidental' interference they've pulled since 1996.

Welcome to hockey. What Malkin did is what happens in NORMAL hockey...not this wimpy crap the wings have been playing for the past 10 years...hit and runaway.

Oh and I guess Ovechkin gets a pass for his staged "too hot to touch hockey stick" crap. If Crosby did that crap it would have been all over the board. But I guess it's all pretty neat and cool to you. It's a shame, because he's a fantastic player...too bad he's a hotshot dork. Crosby proved that it takes a team to win. Just ask Maxime Talbot.
Even moreso- Crosby didn't even play in most of the game! :lol:

This is why the NBA sucks. The Lakers/Magic/anyNBAteamever CANNOT win a game nine times out of ten without their 1 or 2 total hotshot guys. You see it all the time- series are broken down "Kobe v. LeBron" not "Lakers v. Cavs." It's repulsive. And here you have the Pens, sans their #1 guy and captain and win the cup anyway. That would almost never happen in the NBA

All I'm going to say about what you've written (and I'm honestly trying to be as objective as possible here) is that what you're saying amounts to little more than a conspiracy theory. Honestly.

The Pens sucked forever, they got a TON of very high first round picks. I hate to state the obvious, but when that happens- that team will likely be good down the road. As for THIS year: other than the questionable Malkin excuse (which I'm getting the distinct feeling will be a whining point in Detroit for years to come), what else even REMOTELY comes CLOSE to the "NHL doing everything they can to give the Pens the champioship?" Please, tell me. Cause if the games were called so fairly and correctly when the calls were in Detroit's favor (as you've just stated), and the Penguins roster was set the day of the trade deadline like EVERYONE ELSE, I have no idea what on EARTH you can possibly be arguing!!!

I'll agree Crosby can be a pansy and I'm sure Bettman & co. is loving every second of it and I'm not saying that thought thrills me. But the NHL commish and execs being all happy that their poster boy won the cup and them directly intervening at multiple points in the series to make sure it happened are two COMPLETELY different things. There is multiple evidence for the first and next to none for the second. Take a week to be pissed off and get it out of your system. There are greater tragedies in life.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

glen a richter wrote:Two things:

#2: someone please rescind ProngerBlues right to call himself a Blues fan, please. Seriously. What Blues fan roots for the Red Wings? I don't mean to be a prick, but honestly...
Once again, I am a fan of hockey first, Blues fan second. I believe in the aspect of "when in doubt, root for your conference."

And let me make it clear that this is the first time I have EVER even thought about rooting for the Wings. The other 358 days of the year I bashed and despised the team along with the rest of you. But being a hockey fan before a Blues fan, I decided that Crosby is a bigger evil than the Red Wings. This goes for me; I am not saying that by rooting for the Pens you are a bad hockey fan. Its a matter of opinion.

Having said that, I was happy to see Hossa lose and Guerin and Fleury win. Those scenarios were cool, I just hate the Penguins as a hockey fan. Anyone can have 12 top 5 picks in 15 years and be a good hockey team (This is not an exact number- over exaggeration. Too tired to do the research).

I am a pure hockey fan before I root for the Blues. Say whatever you want about my loyalty. When it comes down to it, I will take Blues over any team in the league any day. I will go to every game and root my team on through thick and thin.

You are totally right though, I lose all credibility because I had a different opinion than the consensus. I deserve to be caned and should not be allowed within 200 feet of the Scottrade Center.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

northwest dave wrote:What were the total penalties for each team in the series?

I agree that Malkin should have done it from a pure hockey adrenaline standpoint. That's not the issue that I am arguing.

I am arguing that if this happens any other round in 2009, its a suspension. Do I want Malkin to come after Zetterberg and rip his head off, causing a bench-clearing brawl? YES! But the NHL rules prohibit that.

And about Ovechkin- while I am a fan, I was one of the ones that was against his antics. I am all for celebrating your goals, but staged ones are lame. I don't think that Ovie deserves any kind of punishment from the league for it (unless he excessively does it), but I do think he should have been reprimanded by his coach. I hate when the NFL players do stuff like that.
WaukeeBlues wrote: All I'm going to say about what you've written (and I'm honestly trying to be as objective as possible here) is that what you're saying amounts to little more than a conspiracy theory. Honestly.

The Pens sucked forever, they got a TON of very high first round picks. I hate to state the obvious, but when that happens- that team will likely be good down the road. As for THIS year: other than the questionable Malkin excuse (which I'm getting the distinct feeling will be a whining point in Detroit for years to come), what else even REMOTELY comes CLOSE to the "NHL doing everything they can to give the Pens the champioship?" Please, tell me. Cause if the games were called so fairly and correctly when the calls were in Detroit's favor (as you've just stated), and the Penguins roster was set the day of the trade deadline like EVERYONE ELSE, I have no idea what on EARTH you can possibly be arguing!!!

I'll agree Crosby can be a pansy and I'm sure Bettman & co. is loving every second of it and I'm not saying that thought thrills me. But the NHL commish and execs being all happy that their poster boy won the cup and them directly intervening at multiple points in the series to make sure it happened are two COMPLETELY different things. There is multiple evidence for the first and next to none for the second. Take a week to be pissed off and get it out of your system. There are greater tragedies in life.
You are probably right that maybe I am just starting a conspiracy theory, but lets be honest; what sports fan doesn't do that? How many times have we all sat in front of our tv screens and said that the refs are being paid by the Wings? How many times have we said that Chris Duncan is doing sexual favors for LaRussa to stay in the lineup?

I guess my point on the officiating during the games is that it was just atrocious this series especially. It seemed to favor the home team in every game. My biggest argument is the non-Malkin suspension, which I don't need to get into again. I just feel that if the suspension happens, the Wings take game 3 and have the commanding 3-0 series lead, and it is all but over for Pittsburgh. That non-call was a series changer IMO. I know there is no way of proving it, so I will stop shoving that point down all of your throats. :grin:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:

Once again, I am a fan of hockey first, Blues fan second. I believe in the aspect of "when in doubt, root for your conference."

And let me make it clear that this is the first time I have EVER even thought about rooting for the Wings. The other 358 days of the year I bashed and despised the team along with the rest of you. But being a hockey fan before a Blues fan, I decided that Crosby is a bigger evil than the Red Wings. This goes for me; I am not saying that by rooting for the Pens you are a bad hockey fan. Its a matter of opinion.

Having said that, I was happy to see Hossa lose and Guerin and Fleury win. Those scenarios were cool, I just hate the Penguins as a hockey fan. Anyone can have 12 top 5 picks in 15 years and be a good hockey team (This is not an exact number- over exaggeration. Too tired to do the research).

I am a pure hockey fan before I root for the Blues. Say whatever you want about my loyalty. When it comes down to it, I will take Blues over any team in the league any day. I will go to every game and root my team on through thick and thin.

You are totally right though, I lose all credibility because I had a different opinion than the consensus. I deserve to be caned and should not be allowed within 200 feet of the Scottrade Center.
Relax, Francis. I was only joking.

But seriously, I still question your desire to root for the Wings. Blame the refs and the league all you want, they had just as many chances to put the series away as the Pens did. It got pretty hairy there in the last few seconds. Were Marc Fleury's pads sent as part of a big NHL conspiracy?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

glen a richter wrote:
ProngerBlues44 wrote:

Relax, Francis. I was only joking.

But seriously, I still question your desire to root for the Wings. Blame the refs and the league all you want, they had just as many chances to put the series away as the Pens did. It got pretty hairy there in the last few seconds. Were Marc Fleury's pads sent as part of a big NHL conspiracy?
I don't understand how anyone could think that they weren't. :)

Hullie
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Hullie »

Buttman got what he wanted.

funny here:
Like Mr. Ilitch, who kept walking when NHL commissioner Gary Bettman approached him under the stands and tried to shake his hand after Friday night's game.
http://www.freep.com/article/20090613/S ... 425/?imw=Y

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

Even your stupid, pizza-peddling owner doesn't have the class to accept defeat from a superior opponent. Guess it just trickles right on down, doesn't it?
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

Hullie
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Hullie »

deadphish wrote:Even your stupid, pizza-peddling owner doesn't have the class to accept defeat from a superior opponent. Guess it just trickles right on down, doesn't it?
does the stupidity come natural for you or is it something you have to work at?

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

Hullie wrote:
deadphish wrote:Even your stupid, pizza-peddling owner doesn't have the class to accept defeat from a superior opponent. Guess it just trickles right on down, doesn't it?
does the stupidity come natural for you or is it something you have to work at?
To have any kind of meaningful discourse with a wings fan, I have to work on being that stupid. It just wouldn't be fair otherwise.

Go away, Hullie. Your presence is not required here.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

Hullie
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Hullie »

Hossa- I like him, but I don't want to see him as a Red Wing again. 40 goals in the reg. season and nothing in the 7 games your team needs you to score most. He has that stench about him now

On the other hand, he did get the same amount of points as Cindy in the finals.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

Detroit sucks. :cup: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GaBluesFan
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by GaBluesFan »

Ok so maybe I'll catch shit for this again but seriously "what the (Frank)?!?!" is up with (Franking) Wings/Hawks fans who keep posting here?? Go to your own (Franking) board where you can cry about your teams with other fans who...zooomygosh...like your (Franking) team too. Jesus Christ you are all like the bitches who tried to get into the Citadel or the guy who wants to work at Hooters. All you (Franking) do is come here to flaunt your (Franking) teams success, boo hoo when they lose, and get bent out of shape when people give you shit. NO ONE HERE GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE WINGS or the HAWKS and they don't care to hear you talk about them here or wipe up your vag liquid when they lose. Talk about the Blues or get the (Frank) out of here?? Seriously is it that hard to understand or does it give you a superiority complex to talk about them here??
:detsucks: :hawkssuck:
Oh yeah...and since we are actually on a Blues board...
:goblues: :moran:
REPRESENTING REAL HOCKEY DOWN SOUTH!

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

GaBluesFan wrote: Talk about the Blues or get the (Frank) out of here?? Seriously is it that hard to understand or does it give you a superiority complex to talk about them here??
I understand you might have been lit up like a Xmas tree when you posted this, but nevertheless the definition of this forum on the main forums page is:
Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.
Plus, the thread is about the Stanley Cup Finals which didn't include the mighty Blues. Now I know I'm a "noob" and this might rub people the wrong way, but I think it's more fun to have other fans around (granted some are bigger douches than others), especially ones from our most bitter rivals.

Considering our team has never won the Stanley Cup and got their asses kicked in the first round, I'd say these guys have been pretty tame since I've been here.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.