UFA in recession

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

UFA in recession

Post by Leedog »

It will be interesting to see how the economy effects the $$/years the players get this year. In particular Hossa. Will he get an offer anywhere close to what he turned down "for a chance to win a cup"? You may think it won't effect the runaway $$'s, but except for a very select few (mostly the Yankees), baseball UFA's didn't do very well last winter. They say Lohse signing when he did was the best thing he coulda ever done because if he woulda waited another month, the offer wouldn't have been nearly as good.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Re: UFA in recession

Post by philco_3 »

Well I hope that is true, at least for the Blues. Wouldn't mind getting Jay Bouwmeester for a steal.

And then hopefully whenever Detroit tries to sign one they blow their load like they always do.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

philco_3 wrote:Well I hope that is true, at least for the Blues. Wouldn't mind getting Jay Bouwmeester for a steal.

And then hopefully whenever Detroit tries to sign one they blow their load like they always do.
Bouwmeester will sign with a team for way more than what he is worth. If we can get him really cheap, then I'll take it. But he won't be signing anything less than $5.5 million/year. Sadly, there are teams in this league that would pay him that.

Detroit "blowing their load"? When you say blow their load, you mean get a great UFA then make it to the Cup Finals every year?

If anyone has blown loads recently, its Chicago. Campbell and Huet were unneeded signings IMO.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

Getzkee
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Getzkee »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
philco_3 wrote:Well I hope that is true, at least for the Blues. Wouldn't mind getting Jay Bouwmeester for a steal.

Bouwmeester will sign with a team for way more than what he is worth. If we can get him really cheap, then I'll take it. But he won't be signing anything less than $5.5 million/year. Sadly, there are teams in this league that would pay him that.

Detroit "blowing their load"? When you say blow their load, you mean get a great UFA then make it to the Cup Finals every year?

If anyone has blown loads recently, its Chicago. Campbell and Huet were unneeded signings IMO.
Chicago "blowing their load"? When you say blow their load, you mean get a couple of good UFAs and make it to the Western Conference Finals this year?

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Getzkee wrote:
ProngerBlues44 wrote:

Chicago "blowing their load"? When you say blow their load, you mean get a couple of good UFAs and make it to the Western Conference Finals this year?
No, I mean overpaying a goalie when they already had a high-priced goalie under contract (and no means to trade Khabi) and then watching him lay an egg in the Conference Finals. Then, overpaying a small defenseman when you already have two solid defensemen in Seabrook and Keith. They signed players that they didn't exactly need. They should have gotten a gritty defenseman and a capable backup instead of two star players that they had no need for.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
Getzkee wrote:
ProngerBlues44 wrote:

No, I mean overpaying a goalie when they already had a high-priced goalie under contract (and no means to trade Khabi) and then watching him lay an egg in the Conference Finals. Then, overpaying a small defenseman when you already have two solid defensemen in Seabrook and Keith. They signed players that they didn't exactly need. They should have gotten a gritty defenseman and a capable backup instead of two star players that they had no need for.
My feeling at the time is as it is now- the Hawks wanted to send a clear and proud message that they were ready to be a great team, show their fans that the penny-pinching-Wirtz days were over and to add something more to their team. They felt it was worth the money. And as Getzkee pointed out- they made it to the Western Conference Finals after years of never even having made the playoffs, didn't they? You can't exactly argue with the results, irregardless of whatever impact Cambell and Huet did or did not make.

To be fair, Cambell was good for them this year and Huet had a phenomenal run w/ Washington and Hawks fans and execs were never sure what Khabibulin would do any given season.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »