Murray was Robbed!

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

#1ELPBluzFan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Murray was Robbed!

Post by #1ELPBluzFan »

Honestly, I think that it took a lot more coaching prowess to bring a bunch of "kids" and "re-habbing" players from the proverbial cellar dweller up to the 6th seed when the team wasn't expected to finish higher than 12th.

The Coaching award is supposed to be for "coaching ability", not the team that scores the most points (or second-most, etc.) in the standings. If they voters would have looked at the amount of points STL picked up after the All-Star break, it would have been pretty obvious that the team really came together.

While some people would call it an "East Coast Bias", I just think that until the Blues win the cup, they'll continue to NOT get any respect....maybe instead of Louie as the mascot we should have Rodney (Dangerfield)??

Good Season, Coach Murray!

:goblues:
Mark P

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Murray was Robbed!

Post by Toasted Oates »

#1ELPBluzFan wrote:Honestly, I think that it took a lot more coaching prowess to bring a bunch of "kids" and "re-habbing" players from the proverbial cellar dweller up to the 6th seed when the team wasn't expected to finish higher than 12th.
The Bruins went from the 8 seed with 94 points to the beasts of the East with 116. I'm no mathematician, but I think that's a 22 point increase. The Blues went from 79 to 92 (13 point increase). So as great as the Blues turnaround was, you could argue Boston's was even greater.
#1ELPBluzFan wrote:The Coaching award is supposed to be for "coaching ability", not the team that scores the most points (or second-most, etc.) in the standings. If they voters would have looked at the amount of points STL picked up after the All-Star break, it would have been pretty obvious that the team really came together.
The season started in October, not January. I know you're basing a lot of the end of the season run on Murray's coaching, and while that may have been somewhat of a factor, I think Chris Mason is the one that should get most of the credit. Plus, they've given out 35 Jack Adams awards and only 7 times has it been awarded to the coach of the team with the best record.
#1ELPBluzFan wrote:While some people would call it an "East Coast Bias", I just think that until the Blues win the cup, they'll continue to NOT get any respect....maybe instead of Louie as the mascot we should have Rodney (Dangerfield)??
Only 3 Jack Adams winners coached a Cup champion: Philly legend Fred Shero, Scotty Bowman, and Boston's own John Tortorella. So winning the Cup has nothing to do with the Jack Adams (especially since it's a regular season award). And for what it's worth, Hartford/Carolina has never won the JA and they have a Cup. The Blues have none and have 3 JA winners (Berenson, Sutter, Q). So don't get your hopes up for a Blues heavy awards ceremony when they finally nab the big one.

I agree with you that the Blues had an awesome turnaround and Murray didn't screw it up. I've never been a fan of the guy but "In the Regime We Trust" I guess. I'm also with you in that I like to see the little old Blues get dap but I'm not devastated another deserving coach got his.
Last edited by Toasted Oates on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

#1ELPBluzFan wrote:While some people would call it an "East Coast Bias", I just think that until the Blues win the cup, they'll continue to NOT get any respect....maybe instead of Louie as the mascot we should have Rodney (Dangerfield)??
BRILLIANT!!
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Despite what Toasted Oates said which is all true, I still think he deserved it. I bet we would have done better the entire year with a Vezina winning goalie and Norris trophy winner on our team, I'm just saying.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Him not winning was the best thing for the organization. He accomplished what he accomplished. An award won't change that.

What an award would do however, is make sure that we were stuck with him for at least an extra two years. Because you don't fire Jack Adams winners. At least not right away.

I'm not saying we should fire him right away or anything, just that when we need to, I don't want them to hesitate because he has this trophy.

It's kind of like the Barret Jackman syndrome. I can guarantee you that his stupid Calder trophy resulted in him making at least an extra million a year.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

kodos wrote:Him not winning was the best thing for the organization. He accomplished what he accomplished. An award won't change that.

What an award would do however, is make sure that we were stuck with him for at least an extra two years. Because you don't fire Jack Adams winners. At least not right away.

I'm not saying we should fire him right away or anything, just that when we need to, I don't want them to hesitate because he has this trophy.

It's kind of like the Barret Jackman syndrome. I can guarantee you that his stupid Calder trophy resulted in him making at least an extra million a year.
:plusplus: :plusplus:

This is the most astute observation and smartest comment I have ever read anywhere ever. I could not agree more.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

#1ELPBluzFan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by #1ELPBluzFan »

I'm glad to see some "well thought out responses" instead of the usual ... they suck ... or I can't stand them ... etc!

I hope you guys are all enjoying the off-season!!
Mark P

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

kodos wrote:Him not winning was the best thing for the organization. He accomplished what he accomplished. An award won't change that.

You're just sayin' he's a (frank) head.