Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby WaukeeBlues » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:41 pm

Jack T Adams wrote:Tkachuk gets $2.15 million for the 2009-2010 per Strickland



TSN wrote:The St. Louis Blues re-signed forward Keith Tkachuk to a one-year contract on Friday.

"Keith is a veteran leader who played a key role with our club's success this past season," said club president John Davidson in a release. "He and his wife Chantal are first class people and have been tremendous to the St. Louis Blues organization and the St. Louis community."

The veteran had 25 goals and 24 assists over his 79 games for the Blues last season. He reached the 20-goal mark for the 15th time in his career.

Over Tkachuk's 1,134 career regular season games in the NHL he has scored 525 goals with 508 assists and 2,163 penalty minutes.



http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=282339
Last edited by WaukeeBlues on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Phi Alpha

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby Jack T Adams » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:42 pm

Tkachuk gets $2.15 million for the 2009-2010 per Strickland
OFFICIAL 2007-2008 SPONSOR OF THE LATE DOUG WICKENHEISER, BRINGING BACK KEN WILSON and OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Go Cardinals, Rams and BLUES!



Image
User avatar
Jack T Adams
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1911
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:57 am
Location: Herculaneum, Missouri

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby stlmark » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:58 pm

Not to bad I guess

:cup: :hawkssuck: :detsucks: :goblues:
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
User avatar
stlmark
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:12 am
Location: over there ---->

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby Mellanby_equals_grit » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:48 pm

Jack T Adams wrote:Tkachuk gets $2.15 million for the 2009-2010 per Strickland


I like the italics.. It's like Maris' astrick next to his record.. Yeah it's there, but we all know it's BS.
Image

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan
User avatar
Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:48 pm
Location: 55 n Inbev

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby #1ELPBluzFan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:34 pm

I'm glad to see that KT will stay for at least one more year.
:letsgoblues:
Mark P
User avatar
#1ELPBluzFan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 448
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:12 pm
Location: El Paso, TX (St. Louis Native)

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby dmiles2186 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:51 pm

Reelbluesfan will nut over this deal, but I'll agree with him. It's going to be hard to find a better 3rd/4th line center than can chip in on the PEEPEE.
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5801
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby WaukeeBlues » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:06 pm

#1ELPBluzFan wrote:I'm glad to see that KT will stay for at least one more year.
:letsgoblues:


:jersey:

I didn't JUST buy it :lol: but yea...
Image
User avatar
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Phi Alpha

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby cprice12 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:34 pm

dmiles2186 wrote:Reelbluesfan will nut over this deal, but I'll agree with him. It's going to be hard to find a better 3rd/4th line center than can chip in on the PEEPEE.


Tkachuk was actually quite horrible on the PP last season.
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19443
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby Leedog » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:56 pm

Good deal. Don't know where you'd get better production potential for less commitment anywhere. He wooda had at least 5 more goals and assists last year if he played with scorers all year. But the Blues might not have made the playoffs. He was rewarded for "taking one for the team".
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12
User avatar
Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3323
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:00 pm
Location: sec 316

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby dmiles2186 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:53 am

cprice12 wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:Reelbluesfan will nut over this deal, but I'll agree with him. It's going to be hard to find a better 3rd/4th line center than can chip in on the PEEPEE.


Tkachuk was actually quite horrible on the PP last season.


Besides the beginning of the season when he came out scoring like a bat out of hell in 5 on 5 and the PP. I'm not asking him to be the top guy on the PP, but he can help out if needed. It's pretty nice to have a guy in your back pocket, with 500 goals, that can play power play spot duty, no matter if he's a shell of his former 50 goal scoring self.
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5801
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby Leedog » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:41 am

KT's 14 goals on PP were second on team to Boyes with 16. Third was half of KT, Berglund with 7. The whole team should suck that bad. Plus, they didn't have anyone who could shoot the effin puck from the point..... where he could get more tips and rebounds.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12
User avatar
Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3323
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:00 pm
Location: sec 316

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby gaijin » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:51 pm

Glad he'll be back, personally. :goblues:
Image
User avatar
gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2744
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:46 pm
Location: An undisclosed location in SW Asia

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby glen a richter » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:32 pm

Keeping the seat warm for Palushaj in 2 years?
Official sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
Official sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
Official sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7146
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby ProngerBlues44 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:55 am

I like it. Walt comes at a cheap price and he will fit well as a third line center. That Hinote-TK-Winchester line was a lot of fun to watch. Granted, 2/3 of that line are unsigned, but we all saw what Tkachuk did as a fourth center.

This is a relatively new trend in the NHL; sign a former all-star player to be a third or fourth line guy. San Jose has done it with Roenick and C. Lemieux and Pittsburgh did it with Satan (although that one fell through).
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alex Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

Check out my website and podcast at HockeyPodcastDirectory.com
User avatar
ProngerBlues44
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:45 pm
Location: The Penalty Box

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby cprice12 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:38 pm

Leedog wrote:KT's 14 goals on PP were second on team to Boyes with 16. Third was half of KT, Berglund with 7. The whole team should suck that bad. Plus, they didn't have anyone who could shoot the effin puck from the point..... where he could get more tips and rebounds.


Six of those power play goals came in the first 8 games of the season. In the next 27 games, he only had two PP goals.
After his hot start, he only had 8 power play goals over the final 74 games. Sheesh.
And what is probably the most telling is that in the final 12 games of the season, when the Blues desperately needed wins to get into the playoffs, Tkachuk only had one power play goal...even though he had 7 pts. in the final four games of the season...he wasn't a PP specialist by any means.

Also, no PP points in the playoffs.

Why are people saying he will help on the power play? I don't see anything special there at all.

If he puts up similar overall numbers to last season (25 goals, 24 assists), that will be nice...but I don't know if he will. We'll see.
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19443
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby ambill10 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:57 pm

I don't care when he scored the goals, all players are streaky. He could have had the bulk of them at the end of the year just as easily, I attribute the timing to chance and the total number to ability.

I don't know where else we would find a veteran leader who can play center on 3rd/4th line + 25 goals + 24 assists + 14 PP goals at roughly $2 million for one year. That's a fair deal, equivalent to his value at this point in his career. No one is expecting him to be a major offensive player (on the top two lines), just that he will contribute to the Blues next year. I love the signing at that price for just one year!
User avatar
ambill10
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:23 am
Location: Saint Louis University

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby WaukeeBlues » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:04 pm

ambill10 wrote:I don't care when he scored the goals, all players are streaky. He could have had the bulk of them at the end of the year just as easily, I attribute the timing to chance and the total number to ability.

I don't know where else we would find a veteran leader who can play center on 3rd/4th line + 25 goals + 24 assists + 14 PP goals at roughly $2 million for one year. That's a fair deal, equivalent to his value at this point in his career. No one is expecting him to be a major offensive player (on the top two lines), just that he will contribute to the Blues next year. I love the signing at that price for just one year!


My guess is that they'll just keep pumping out 1 year deals for him till he retires. As long as he can still keep contributing in SOME meaningful way, I'd like to have him around and retire a Blue.
Image
User avatar
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4647
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Phi Alpha

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby stlbluz » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

WaukeeBlues wrote:
ambill10 wrote:I don't care when he scored the goals, all players are streaky. He could have had the bulk of them at the end of the year just as easily, I attribute the timing to chance and the total number to ability.

I don't know where else we would find a veteran leader who can play center on 3rd/4th line + 25 goals + 24 assists + 14 PP goals at roughly $2 million for one year. That's a fair deal, equivalent to his value at this point in his career. No one is expecting him to be a major offensive player (on the top two lines), just that he will contribute to the Blues next year. I love the signing at that price for just one year!


My guess is that they'll just keep pumping out 1 year deals for him till he retires. As long as he can still keep contributing in SOME meaningful way, I'd like to have him around and retire a Blue.


The good news is that it is only a 1 year deal. If he wants a shot at another he'll have to earn it, whether here or elsewhere. Sooner rather than later there's not going to be room for him on this squad.
Image
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald
User avatar
stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
 
Posts: 7331
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:11 pm
Location: Edge of my seat

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby JCShutout » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:21 pm

Very happy about this deal. $2 mill for a good third liner. I don't expect pp time unless we hit injuries /knocks on wood considering last year/ or a big slump. I'll be happy with 10-15 goals, about 20-25 assists, and a hard-hitting game with leadership. The kids love him, he's a familiar name to fans, and he is a big body (we've got our fair share of small guys).
Image
JCShutout
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:44 pm

Re: Blues re-sign Tkachuk: 1 year deal

Postby cprice12 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:08 am

ambill10 wrote:I don't care when he scored the goals, all players are streaky. He could have had the bulk of them at the end of the year just as easily, I attribute the timing to chance and the total number to ability.

I don't know where else we would find a veteran leader who can play center on 3rd/4th line + 25 goals + 24 assists + 14 PP goals at roughly $2 million for one year. That's a fair deal, equivalent to his value at this point in his career. No one is expecting him to be a major offensive player (on the top two lines), just that he will contribute to the Blues next year. I love the signing at that price for just one year!


His overall numbers are fine. I just have an issue with those saying he will help out on the PP when he wasn't effective on the power play the last 75 games of the season. That's a pretty significant bad streak.

And if someone scores 20 power play goals in the first game of the season and none the rest of the year, that was a great performance, but it only helped you win one game. So when you score them does matter. (yeah, it's an extreme example...just trying to prove a point)

But again, his numbers last year were good for what he was getting paid...and if he gets close to that this year, I'll be happy. Just don't expect anything from him on the power play.
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19443
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Next

Return to St. Louis Blues Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cardsfan04, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests