Pronger Traded To Philly

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Pronger Traded To Philly

Post by Leedog »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:I think it's silly to compare the Blues trade of Pronger to Edmonton's and Anaheim's trade of him.. Pleau's hands were completely tied when he did it. Laurie openly saying that he had to be off of the books made trading him mandatory. Once that is the case your return is going to be shit about 99 times out of 98. Anaheim probably could have kept Pronger even with the caphit. Because of that Philly had to give up more to entice them into a trade. The situations are not compareable.
That's stupid. A good GM pits one offer against the other like an auction. Kinda like what the Ducks did. shoulda been like, "OK Leafs and Rangers. Edmonton is offering Brewer and 3 minor league D. Can you beat it? I mean, regardless of Lar's situation, the commodity was still Pronger and he still had value around the league.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

Leedog wrote:
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:I think it's silly to compare the Blues trade of Pronger to Edmonton's and Anaheim's trade of him.. Pleau's hands were completely tied when he did it. Laurie openly saying that he had to be off of the books made trading him mandatory. Once that is the case your return is going to be shit about 99 times out of 98. Anaheim probably could have kept Pronger even with the caphit. Because of that Philly had to give up more to entice them into a trade. The situations are not compareable.
That's stupid. A good GM pits one offer against the other like an auction. Kinda like what the Ducks did. shoulda been like, "OK Leafs and Rangers. Edmonton is offering Brewer and 3 minor league D. Can you beat it? I mean, regardless of Lar's situation, the commodity was still Pronger and he still had value around the league.
The Blues had to shed his salary and not take on anything significant back.. That completely strapped Pleau. Do you honestly think if another GM was put in his spot for that trade they would have got back a package like this? Completely different climate and situation. To pretend it's the same player therefore the return should be is ignoring that there are tons of factors at play.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:The Blues had to shed his salary and not take on anything significant back.. That completely strapped Pleau. Do you honestly think if another GM was put in his spot for that trade they would have got back a package like this? Completely different climate and situation. To pretend it's the same player therefore the return should be is ignoring that there are tons of factors at play.
The only shame was that Larry couldn't at least pull out a Top 10 pick in that year's draft. I guess no one was willing to swap with such a deep talent pool. I honestly don't remember if we got their #1 that year or not. But I think we would have been better suited getting picks and legit prospects over the return we got.

Regardless, it's a moot point now. We're 4 year removed from that moment and odds are he'll sign back here next year. So no sense in pissing and moaning about the past.

EDIT: I honestly believe it's a personal goal of Larry Pleau's to have a hand in brining Chris back next summer before stepping out of the GM role. I think it would make for a good personal and public redemption story for boht him and the franchise. I'm sure he tried like hell on Friday when he came available. But he price was just too much. Glad we didn't overpay!

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Yeah, we didn't get one, but we should have gotten a first rounder in the package for Pronger.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

SIU LAW wrote:Yeah, we didn't get one, but we should have gotten a first rounder in the package for Pronger.
We got hosed.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:
Leedog wrote:
The Blues had to shed his salary and not take on anything significant back.. That completely strapped Pleau. Do you honestly think if another GM was put in his spot for that trade they would have got back a package like this? Completely different climate and situation. To pretend it's the same player therefore the return should be is ignoring that there are tons of factors at play.
We are all overlooking the real tragedy of this trade. We knew MacInnis was retiring and our defense was falling apart. Of the three high-priced players (Pronger, Weight and Tkachuk) we traded the worst option. Weight and Tkachuk were not worth the money by the time's cap while Pronger was still earning his buck.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

I guess Pronger's wife is ok with Philly?

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

northwest dave wrote:I guess Pronger's wife is ok with Philly?
He hasn't signed that extension he is looking for yet...

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

I really hope he doesn't resign with Philly.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

section319 wrote:I really hope he doesn't resign with Philly.
If he doesn't come here than I'd rather see him in Philly. If they can tame that headcase they've got in net then they'll be interesting for the next few years.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Pronger announces he would like to have an extension in place before the year starts. I'm getting the feeling he would have wanted this no matter where he got sent...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283874
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Pronger announces he would like to have an extension in place before the year starts. I'm getting the feeling he would have wanted this no matter where he got sent...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283874
Can't blame the guy. Time for St. Louis to move on.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Pronger signs seven-year extension

The agent for Chris Pronger told Sportsnet that his client has signed a seven-year contract extension that will likely see the defenceman finish his career in Philadelphia.

The confirmation will come down later Tuesday.

The extension is front-loaded to lower the salary cap hit, and is rumoured to be worth $35 million, or five million per season. The deal also includes a no-movement clause. The Anaheim Ducks traded Pronger and forward Ryan Dingle to the Philadelphia for defenceman Luca Sbisa, forward Joffrey Lupul and two first-round picks and a conditional third-round pick in 2010 or 2011.

Last season with the Ducks he scored 11 goals and added 37 assists in 82 games.
:cussing:

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

SIU LAW wrote:

The agent for Chris Pronger told Sportsnet that his client has signed a seven-year contract extension that will likely see the defenceman finish his career in Philadelphia.

The extension is front-loaded to lower the salary cap hit, and is rumoured to be worth $35 million, or five million per season. The deal also includes a no-movement clause. The Anaheim Ducks traded Pronger and forward Ryan Dingle to the Philadelphia for defenceman Luca Sbisa, forward Joffrey Lupul and two first-round picks and a conditional third-round pick in 2010 or 2011.

This is honestly a severe disappointment personally. I was really hoping that we'd be able to make a run at him next off season. It just shocks the hell out of me that he'd sign such a long contract with a team NOT in Canada that he hasn't even suited up for.

I had illusions of him coming back and being a part of this great resurgance of the franchise. I think retiring #44 is totally off the table now...

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

:x

I guess his wife likes Philadelphia, huh?
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

SIU LAW wrote:

Oh well. So much for that.

I was more than a little disappointed when I heard that the Flyers acquired him but this is how it goes sometimes. I figured he knew he was being dealt and wherever that place was- that's where he'd stay till his career was over. If there is ANY silver lining to this- its that we won't be playing against him very much for the rest of his career :lol:

and oh yea... :cussing:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

:bert:

Sweetred95ta
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Sweetred95ta »

Wow. 7 years?! I guess Philly knew what they were doing giving up so much for him. It would've been a kick in the balls if they couldn't sign him to some sort of extension.
I love hockey. Period.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

"Why should we trade for him this year when we can sign him for free next year?", said almost everyone.
The way it says the contract is front loaded makes me think it is like the Detroit contracts. Like 6.5 mil per for the first 5 years and mil each for the final 2. Can the league address this stupid loophole before the CBA is up?
Does this officially mean someone else can wear 44 for the Blues now?
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Leedog wrote:"Why should we trade for him this year when we can sign him for free next year?", said almost everyone.
The way it says the contract is front loaded makes me think it is like the Detroit contracts. Like 6.5 mil per for the first 5 years and mil each for the final 2. Can the league address this stupid loophole before the CBA is up?
Does this officially mean someone else can wear 44 for the Blues now?
I will hate that player when it happens. Maybe Brewer can change his number :grin: