Blues sign Ty Conklin (2 yrs @ 1.3 per season)

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Blues sign Ty Conklin (2 yrs @ 1.3 per season)

Post by philco_3 »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:I would have liked to see Clemmensen over Conklin..
I as well.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

agreed.

None of the options really had deep playoff experience, except khabibulin. Conklin played 10 minutes? Harding and Clemmenson have none.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Ty Conklin...Really?!?

Why do we keep signing shitty goaltenders?

Conklin was decent only because he played for Detroit. He's going to be shitty with us. You could stick a franking mouse in goal for Detroit and they would win games. I'm not happy about this signing at all, considering we've already got Mason and could use Bishop or Beckford as a backup! Yes I know, we have him for "insurance" reasons. Screw that. I have faith in Mason and the backups and I think Conklin is just taking up a spot which he will rarely utilize and he's a waste of salary. All these great signings this season ... Hossa, Pronger...but we got CONKLIN! Woo.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

xbleed83bluex wrote:Ty Conklin...Really?!?

Conklin was decent only because he played for Detroit. He's going to be shitty with us. You could stick a franking mouse in goal for Detroit and they would win games. I'm not happy about this signing at all, considering we've already got Mason and could use Bishop or Beckford as a backup! Yes I know, we have him for "insurance" reasons. Screw that. I have faith in Mason and the backups and I think Conklin is just taking up a spot which he will rarely utilize and he's a waste of salary. All these great signings this season ... Hossa, Pronger...but we got CONKLIN! Woo.
Becky-Sue is still in the system?

By the way, how do you propose JD and Co. pay for Hossa and Pronger? As I understand, we have what, 5 mil cap room right now? Some of that's going to Polak or a lot of that is going to his replacement. I don't know about you, but I want to save cap room for when it comes time to sign Perron, et al.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Beckford-Tseu plays for Florida's ECHL team. But continue with your uneducated rant.. I am glad you are back, I have missed your posts.. :roll:

You probably think we should have traded Petro, Oshie and our first this year for Pronger too huh?
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

glen a richter wrote:

By the way, how do you propose JD and Co. pay for Hossa and Pronger? As I understand, we have what, 5 mil cap room right now? Some of that's going to Polak or a lot of that is going to his replacement. I don't know about you, but I want to save cap room for when it comes time to sign Perron, et al.
I will agree with xbleed only on the fact that it is ridiculous for us to only have $5 mil available. I'm not saying anything bad about the Conklin deal, just the simple fact that we overpay our current players to the point where we can't get guys like Pronger, Hossa, etc. Brewer at $4.25, Jackman at $3.625, even Johnson at $3.7 doesn't sit well with me.

So while I find his rant completely unnecessary, I agree that if we didn't have too much money tied up in unneeded places, we would be able to see a big FA signing. Unfortunately, that is simply not possible right now.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:

I will agree with xbleed only on the fact that it is ridiculous for us to only have $5 mil available. I'm not saying anything bad about the Conklin deal, just the simple fact that we overpay our current players to the point where we can't get guys like Pronger, Hossa, etc. Brewer at $4.25, Jackman at $3.625, even Johnson at $3.7 doesn't sit well with me.

So while I find his rant completely unnecessary, I agree that if we didn't have too much money tied up in unneeded places, we would be able to see a big FA signing. Unfortunately, that is simply not possible right now.
I agree it is a little ridiculous we only have 5 mil in cap space but even if we had more I don't think we would have went after Hossa. Also, I don't know why you guys bring up Pronger with Hossa, we would have had to trade a lot for Pronger just to allow us to pay him all our cap space. Now if we are talking about singing Pronger as a UFA that might happen next year when he is actually a UFA and Kariya is gone and we have more money freed up.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

section319 wrote:
ProngerBlues44 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:

I agree it is a little ridiculous we only have 5 mil in cap space but even if we had more I don't think we would have went after Hossa. Also, I don't know why you guys bring up Pronger with Hossa, we would have had to trade a lot for Pronger just to allow us to pay him all our cap space. Now if we are talking about singing Pronger as a UFA that might happen next year when he is actually a UFA and Kariya is gone and we have more money freed up.
You think it's that straightforward that Kariya is already written off as a loss next offseason? I personally wasn't sure either way- I feel a lot of it has to do with how he plays this season.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Well, even if he does resign it won't be for $6 mil, and he shouldn't make more than Andy does unless he has a stellar year this year. So, either way it frees up anywhere from 2 to 6 million in cap space.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

section319 wrote:Well, even if he does resign it won't be for $6 mil, and he shouldn't make more than Andy does unless he has a stellar year this year. So, either way it frees up anywhere from 2 to 6 million in cap space.
Kariya has become a team jumper since leaving Anaheim. He will sign for what he feels he deserves and there will be no discussion about price. I see him going to a team that offers the highest price and I don't feel the Blues will offer what he feels he deserves.

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

He wanted to re-sign with Nashville for much less money before signing here. They were going through ownership problems and make an offer to him.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Good unless he really impresses this year, I don't really want him back, yeah it was kickass when we signed Paul Kariya but he hasn't performed for 6 mill.

Sweetred95ta
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Sweetred95ta »

section319 wrote:Good unless he really impresses this year, I don't really want him back, yeah it was kickass when we signed Paul Kariya but he hasn't performed for 6 mill.
I was excited as anyone when we first signed him. After the numbers he's put up and the games he's missed, I think he owes us an extra year for free!
I love hockey. Period.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

That would be nice to get a refund out of him.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Sweetred95ta wrote:
section319 wrote:Good unless he really impresses this year, I don't really want him back, yeah it was kickass when we signed Paul Kariya but he hasn't performed for 6 mill.
I was excited as anyone when we first signed him. After the numbers he's put up and the games he's missed, I think he owes us an extra year for free!
I really wish that there was a way to put in a contract (and have the player agree to it) that if a player under-produces or doesn't play enough, that player should play for less money one more season or something. Think of all the money the Blues would have saved over the past few years!

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

philco_3 wrote:That would be nice to get a refund out of him.
PK or KT?
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

stlbluz wrote:
philco_3 wrote:That would be nice to get a refund out of him.
PK or KT?
Paul for being injured for most of the season.