Smoking ban for troops?

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Smoking ban for troops?

Post by Ruutu15 »

I don't smoke, but this is ridiculous. Not only is it out of line for them to pass this ban, but seriously, who would want a Jarhead having nicotine withdrawals?!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/12/milita ... index.html

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Smoking ban for troops?

Post by Kreegz2 »

Are they for whatever reason pretending this is new information? It's not like the soldiers that smoke don't know this. Nicotine relieves stress, soldiers are under the highest amounts of stress, don't you think this ban would have happened years ago if it was up for real consideration?

As someone who leaves for boot camp in a month, I gotta say that this really pisses me off. I'm not a cigarette smoker, but the reality of it is something far worse than just a ban on smoking.

It would never work, and would be completely ignored. I would say that over 50% of the military smokes, there's no way they're going to be able to force that many people to just stop suddenly. People will continue smoking, it will be completely ignored, to pretend anything different will happen is ignorant. This rule will only have an effect 40-50 years down the road when the Soldier gets lung cancer and applies for veterans benefits. "Smoked in the service? Sorry, violation of regs, we can't give you any aid". It's total bullshit if it ever happens, which I highly doubt anyway.

Soldiers who smoke are still healthier than 90% of civilians who don't smoke
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Kreegz2 wrote:Are they for whatever reason pretending this is new information? It's not like the soldiers that smoke don't know this. Nicotine relieves stress, soldiers are under the highest amounts of stress, don't you think this ban would have happened years ago if it was up for real consideration?

As someone who leaves for boot camp in a month, I gotta say that this really pisses me off. I'm not a cigarette smoker, but the reality of it is something far worse than just a ban on smoking.

It would never work, and would be completely ignored. I would say that over 50% of the military smokes, there's no way they're going to be able to force that many people to just stop suddenly. People will continue smoking, it will be completely ignored, to pretend anything different will happen is ignorant. This rule will only have an effect 40-50 years down the road when the Soldier gets lung cancer and applies for veterans benefits. "Smoked in the service? Sorry, violation of regs, we can't give you any aid". It's total bullshit if it ever happens, which I highly doubt anyway.

Soldiers who smoke are still healthier than 90% of civilians who don't smoke
Agree on all counts. I thought the whole thing was absurd and didn't see how they'd enforce the rule.

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

Those in the military should have right do whatever they damn well please.

One of the interesting things I found out when I was in that if you were stationed in the US and on state property, you had to follow the state laws when it came to drinking. But if you were on federal property (like Camp Pendleton) then one could drink when they were 18. But that is another battle all together.

I got to agree with Kreegz2 with the number of people that smoked/dipped when I was in. It was probably higher than that though.
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders

Bernie Federko
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker
Location: Outside Curt's window, checking out his cabinets and flooring.

Post by Bernie Federko »

I know how the troops feel. Those assholes at Fox Sports tried to ban me from doing lines off of my laptop spacebar. They kept complaining about "random computer noises" during the telecast. Fascists.
BUY SOME GODDAMN CABINETS!

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

instead of cigs why don't we give them these Image?

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

abc789987 wrote:instead of cigs why don't we give them these Image?
How many bullets would you like in your body if you gave them that?

KJVO_1611
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KJVO_1611 »

Guppy wrote:Those in the military should have right do whatever they d*** well please.

One of the interesting things I found out when I was in that if you were stationed in the US and on state property, you had to follow the state laws when it came to drinking. But if you were on federal property (like Camp Pendleton) then one could drink when they were 18. But that is another battle all together.

I got to agree with Kreegz2 with the number of people that smoked/dipped when I was in. It was probably higher than that though.
They canked that 1996 or there abouts.
I was stationed at Camp Pendleton when that flew.

Guns Up

KJVO1611

2/9-2/4 Fox Co 1st Mar Div.
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 6:23)

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

Somebody on the radio last night asked if the smoking ban will also apply to the Commander in Chief. :lol:
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

KJVO_1611 wrote:
Guppy wrote:Those in the military should have right do whatever they d*** well please.

They canked that 1996 or there abouts.
I was stationed at Camp Pendleton when that flew.

Guns Up

KJVO1611

2/9-2/4 Fox Co 1st Mar Div.
ain't that a crock of poop. I was out there in 92-93.