Coyote soap opera...

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Philo
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Coyote soap opera...

Post by Philo »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284305

Why doesn't the NHL just shut the team down and auction off the players or sell it and move it to Canada ? don't think the team will ever make money in Phoenix.
"Philo can stalk with impunity"Goon Attack

Bernie Federko
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker
Location: Outside Curt's window, checking out his cabinets and flooring.

Re: Coyote soap opera...

Post by Bernie Federko »

There are studies out there that directly link Pang's color commentary and the financial instability of the Coyotes. Just sayin'. Something to think about.
BUY SOME GODDAMN CABINETS!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Hey Bernie,

I hear there is an opening in Phoenix for a color commentator. Maybe you could get them in the playoffs. ;)
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Bernie Federko
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker
Location: Outside Curt's window, checking out his cabinets and flooring.

Post by Bernie Federko »

theohall wrote:Hey Bernie,

I hear there is an opening in Phoenix for a color commentator. Maybe you could get them in the playoffs. ;)
"The Great One" can suck it. When he arrived in St. Louis, I gave him a new pair of stone washed jeans as a welcoming gift. He then turned around and re-gifted them to some dude in Poison. He was also too good to show up for one of my commercials. Asshole.
BUY SOME GODDAMN CABINETS!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Philo wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284305

Why doesn't the NHL just shut the team down and auction off the players or sell it and move it to Canada ? don't think the team will ever make money in Phoenix.
To me, it sounds like there are just enough important and wealthy people who want the team to stay in Glendale that makes this a battle. I think the majority of hockey fans would want to see the franchise back in Canada and from the sound of it- the NHL execs want that too. But there's enough money and people fighting it that the team's future isn't open and shut.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

I for one hope the team stays in Phoenix. All of you guys who are so "Canada!!!111!!1!" right before each nutshot fail to realize that they hate YOUR team too. In my experience, Canadian fans like Canadian teams and think that every US team should be relocated north of the border to some city who can't even support an AHL team (see: Hamilton).

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Ruutu15 wrote:I for one hope the team stays in Phoenix. All of you guys who are so "Canada!!!111!!1!" right before each nutshot fail to realize that they hate YOUR team too. In my experience, Canadian fans like Canadian teams and think that every US team should be relocated north of the border to some city who can't even support an AHL team (see: Hamilton).
And what's wrong with that? United States sports leagues are cocky and often not even where the most possible place to play the game is even located. Nothing annoys me more then the "World Champions" BS title slapped on the NBA and MLB title winners. I simply feel that true hockey fans (not saying you're not) know that the roots of the game are in the north and that having teams in locations like Phoenix, Tampa, etc are sell-outs to pro sports capitalism, ignoring the markets where the sport was born. The NHL obviously isn't the only sports league that does this, but the more teams in the north, the better.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Move them to Kansas City.

:grin:

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

ksbluesfan wrote:Move them to Kansas City.

:grin:
Eh KC would be better off with a brand new franchisee.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:I for one hope the team stays in Phoenix. All of you guys who are so "Canada!!!111!!1!" right before each nutshot fail to realize that they hate YOUR team too. In my experience, Canadian fans like Canadian teams and think that every US team should be relocated north of the border to some city who can't even support an AHL team (see: Hamilton).
And what's wrong with that? United States sports leagues are cocky and often not even where the most possible place to play the game is even located. Nothing annoys me more then the "World Champions" BS title slapped on the NBA and MLB title winners. I simply feel that true hockey fans (not saying you're not) know that the roots of the game are in the north and that having teams in locations like Phoenix, Tampa, etc are sell-outs to pro sports capitalism, ignoring the markets where the sport was born. The NHL obviously isn't the only sports league that does this, but the more teams in the north, the better.
The World Series bothers you? Get any baseball team you'd like from elsewhere in the world, and they'd be lucky to not get blown out by 10 runs in each game of a short 7-game series.

They aren't ignoring markets where the game was born. There are two teams that serve the Southern Ontario market, those being Toronto and Buffalo. Hamilton has an AHL team that consistently inflates their attendance numbers. And seriously, how can you fault the NHL for this? The team ownership had no problem agreeing to a DECADES long lease with the city of Glendale...how many years ago was that? Norm Green moved the North Stars to Dallas...the NHL didn't force him. No one in Minnesota was going to games until they announced that the team was leaving, to which everyone came out of the woodwork in support of the North Stars. Tampa Bay got an expansion team because it was backed by the Espositos and because the team put up the huge expansion fee. Ottawa also got a team.

If you're going to say that markets are under served, it's a mistake to make that claim in regards to So Ontario. Winnipeg is the only city in Canada that you could make an argument for, and they're even on the fringe.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

theohall wrote:Hey Bernie,

Not so fast offering Bernie that job: http://www.stlouisgametime.com/2009/1/6 ... ow-tyson-n

When the Jets relocated to Arizona, I thought "hey, that's kind of unique... a hockey team in Arizona." I was also like 13...

Now it just seems dumb, given they've lost so much money... it's like putting a band aide on a gunshot wound or something...

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

I've heard everyone say how much it sucks that Phoenix has a team, and I respect that opinion. I still haven't heard a legit counter to my biggest gripe with that. The team JUST signed a decades-long lease with the city of Glendale. Glendale just built a new state of the art arena specifically for the Coyotes because they asked for it. The Coyotes knew their attendance woes before they signed the dotted line. Why should they, only a couple of years after, be able to pick up and leave Glendale holding the bag?

The Jets leaving Winnipeg sucked, but it is not the issue here. The city of Winnipeg (and the entire province of Manitoba) actually SAVED money when the Jets moved, because they were on the hook for every cent of the Jets losses, which were huge. That's right...the team had it in their deal with the province that when they lost money (which they did every season), the province had to reimburse the ownership. Everyone forgets that in the nostalgia, or maybe they aren't old enough to remember the business reasons for the Jets leaving. I understand that Phoenix may not be an ideal location, but neither was Anaheim or Dallas. The Jets franchise has NEVER been good...it wasn't worth a shit in Winnipeg, and it hasn't been in Phoenix either. When a team moves to a new area, specifically a non-traditional market, once the newness wears off people have no reason to go...there is no culture of the sport.

So, I would like for someone to tell me why the team should be able to pick up and leave a mere 5 years after demanding a new arena with tax money. I have issues with moving the team in general, but I have SERIOUS issues with them moving to Hamilton which already has two NHL teams within reasonable distance.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Well just when I think Hamilton wouldn't get it another chance...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=286860

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

philco_3 wrote:Well just when I think Hamilton wouldn't get it another chance...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=286860
Good Lord. This is a soap opera.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

...like sand through an hour glass, these are the days of our lives.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

philco_3 wrote:...like sand through an hour glass, these are the days of our lives.
Now if we could only get Wayne Gretzky to say that on camera at the beginning of each game...

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Ruutu15 wrote:The Jets franchise has NEVER been good...it wasn't worth a shit in Winnipeg, and it hasn't been in Phoenix either. When a team moves to a new area, specifically a non-traditional market, once the newness wears off people have no reason to go...there is no culture of the sport.
This is why.

I wouldn't want to see it go to Hamilton either, but I would prefer to see it go to Canada then something like (just an example) Kansas City or something.

If Glendale knew the risks when they signed their city over to the team, they also should have considered the fact that they are exactly that- Glendale. ARIZONA. If they truly analyzed all the risks, this non-traditional market aspect HAD to be considered. If it wasn't, that's their own d*mn fault.

I would love to see Winnipeg or Quebec back. The CBA has solved a lot of the problems they faced when the franchises moved, Winnipeg has a new arena of its own, and I just think the sport should be migrating the opposite direction than it has been the last two decades- north.

Hell, move the team to Nunavut and call them the Eskimos for all I care, might still get better attendance anyway :wink: :lol: at least there will be ice!

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
If Glendale knew the risks when they signed their city over to the team, they also should have considered the fact that they are exactly that- Glendale. ARIZONA. If they truly analyzed all the risks, this non-traditional market aspect HAD to be considered. If it wasn't, that's their own d*mn fault.

You got my argument backwards. The Coyotes ownership signed a deal with Glendale. So you're saying that they should be able to sign a contract, a legally binding agreement, and then break it a mere 5 years later because "Glendale should have known better than to sign a contract with us!"?! Seriously? Because if so, I'm going to tell the bank they're f'ed on my loan repayment because they should have known better than to give me a loan. (Note: I'm actually good with my money, this is just to draw a comparison :lol: ) So let me take your argument and ask you the same questions. Shouldn't the Coyotes ownership have analyzed the risks before signing a decades-long lease in Glendale, AZ? Not only a lease, they got a brand new arena out of the deal. I really don't see how there's a counter to my argument.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Ruutu15 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

You got my argument backwards. The Coyotes ownership signed a deal with Glendale. So you're saying that they should be able to sign a contract, a legally binding agreement, and then break it a mere 5 years later because "Glendale should have known better than to sign a contract with us!"?! Seriously? Because if so, I'm going to tell the bank they're f'ed on my loan repayment because they should have known better than to give me a loan. (Note: I'm actually good with my money, this is just to draw a comparison :lol: ) So let me take your argument and ask you the same questions. Shouldn't the Coyotes ownership have analyzed the risks before signing a decades-long lease in Glendale, AZ? Not only a lease, they got a brand new arena out of the deal. I really don't see how there's a counter to my argument.
If that's the question- then YES!

And you're right, I misunderstood. So no, that question you got in quotes isn't what I'm trying to say.

I've gotta believe that somewhere in that contract is something to do with bankruptcy, change of owners, etc. I'm not saying that Glendale should be left holding the bill- if the team moves (I'm assuming they can do that without being sued), the city SHOULD be compensated. And if the owner has the bucks and can pay damages to move the team and wants to that badly, he might break the contract anyway and deal with it at court.

Its hindsight, but the point is that a team should have never been put there in the first place. Granted similar things have been said about Florida/Tampa/San Jose what have you but Arizona wasn't a stretch as utter stupidity. Oh well. It happened.