If you had to choose...

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

If you had to choose...

Post by strocklen083 »

between the following rumored deals, which one do you think would improve the team the best?

a.) signing (and giving up draft picks)/trading for Kessel
b.) Jeff Marek's speculation on Vancouver sports radio that STL/PIT were discussing Boyes for Staal

In both deals you're giving up quite a bit. Either in currest assets or high level draft picks. But I think for the short term, the Kessel deal would be better off. Mainly because Boston probably won't be asking for too many roster players and I kinda operate under the assumption that if you can improve your team while at the same time not disrupting your present scoring chemsitry you'll be setting yourself up for a good post season run.

Now I understand adding a scorer means the lines will get disrupted and someone will be shuffled out. But we have a few pieces that can be swapped and a veteran or two (Tkachuk, Karyia, Armstrong) that will only be around for this season. Which means long term, you've filled a spot you might otherwise would have had to rely on a prospect or high profile FA to fill. Plus, with the scoring issue we had last year it makes no sense to trade our best scoring winger for a center. A position we have too many of already.

Thoughts?

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: If you had to choose...

Post by ksbluesfan »

Boyes for Jordan Staal straight up?

:lol:

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

I would go Kessel, we would then be able to roll three lanes capable of scoring. Not that this is how it would be but you could have the two lines and then instead of Kariya and Tkachuk having Winchester on their line they could have Kessel. That would be a pretty nasty lineup, but that is if they don't want any forwards on the roster now. Maybe they will take a first, Jackman and Brewer.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Kessel isn't signed by Boston. He's a restricted free agent. If the Blues send an offer sheet to Kessel, Boston has the right to match it. If they don't match, the Blues send a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick to Boston.

Kessel was asking Boston for $4.5M per season.

I'd pass on both deals.

Sweetred95ta
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Sweetred95ta »

ksbluesfan wrote:Boyes for Jordan Staal straight up?

:lol:
:plusplus:
I love hockey. Period.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

ksbluesfan wrote:Kessel isn't signed by Boston. He's a restricted free agent. If the Blues send an offer sheet to Kessel, Boston has the right to match it. If they don't match, the Blues send a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick to Boston.

Kessel was asking Boston for $4.5M per season.

I'd pass on both deals.
That doesn't mean a trade isn't in play. We should ship them picks, players, or prospects for the rights to Kessel. Then if he signed an offer sheet with another team then WE would get the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. However if Kessel doesn't get traded it would almost certainly be a sign and trade deal in which contract terms are agreed upon before the transaction is processed. Happens all the time in the NBA and to a certain extent the NFL.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Well we can forget about Kessel. Trade to Toronto for, I believe, 2-#1 draft pics and a #2. And then also signed to a multi-year deal.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.