GDT: Blues @ Red Wings -- Season Opener -- 2pm -- VS

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Re: GDT: Blues @ Red Wings -- Season Opener -- 2pm -- VS

Post by abc789987 »

oh my today is crawling by... a litte more than 3 hrs!!!
I say we win 4-2 with an empty net goal.

:detsucks: :goblues:

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Sucks. I can't catch this game until later tonight (DVR). Go Blues!

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

JR'S MORNING SKATE
JR wrote:Blues coach Andy Murray said he can tell the players are antsy.

“I could sense in practice yesterday that they didn’t want to practice,” Murray said. “They just want to play right now. I think there’s a lot of energy going into the first game, no question.”

The forward combinations will stay the same:

Andy McDonald-David Backes-David Perron
Paul Kariya-Keith Tkachuk-Brad Boyes
Brad Winchester-Patrik Berglund-T.J. Oshie
Alex Steen-Jay McClement-B.J. Crombeen

Many will remember that when training camp started, Tkachuk was on a line with Winchester and Oshie, while Berglund was playing with Kariya and Boyes. Murray swapped Tkachuk and Berglund a couple of weeks ago because Berglund was playing “tight.” I asked Murray today if the move has worked.

“We just felt that Bergy was feeling the pressure a little bit, playing with Paul and Brad,” Murray said. “Walt (Tkachuk) can handle those guys a little better. Nothing is written in stone. I think the good part of it is, we know we can go either way. Depending on matchups, we can switch that center and they’ve got familiarity with each other.

“The other thing we’ve done in the last few games is . . . the third period in Dallas, I played Andy McDonald as a center between Paul and Brad. People will say that I’m just messing (with other teams). I was doing it for a reason. Some times you have to change the game a little and I was looking for a spark. We put Andy in the middle and that’s a possibility. It’s nice to have that flexibility.”

Forwards not playing today: Derek Armstrong, Cam Janssen

Murray said that center Derek Armstrong has played well enough to be in the opening-day lineup. Armstrong had three goals and four assists in five preseason games. But Murray said that he wants to show respect to the other forwards “who got the job done last season,” so he’s keeping them in and making Armstrong a healthy scratch for game No. 1.

Murray said that he spoke with Armstrong about the situation, and Armstrong agreed that if he were one of the forwards who helped the Blues get into the playoffs last season, he’d be upset if he were taken out.

The defense pairings are set:

Barret Jackman-Roman Polak
Darryl Sydor-Erik Johnson
Carlo Colaiacovo-Mike Weaver

Extra: Alex Pietrangelo

After missing last season, Johnson will be playing his first NHL regular-season game in 544 days when he plays today.

Now that it’s finally here, I asked Johnson if he felt any different when he woke up this morning. ”It feels just like another day, really,” he said. “I’m preparing just like any other game, doing my routine. It has a little more meaning, but I’m not going to stress myself out about it, or put any more pressure on myself than I already do . . . just gonna go out there and do what I’ve done all preseason.”

Pietrangelo will not be in the lineup today, and unless a defenseman has a bad game today, I don’t anticipate him playing Saturday either.

“We’re trying to win games right now,” Murray said. “We’ll play the lineup that gives us the best chance to win. If that means Petro is in there, then he’s in there. We’re trying to win. He’s better than he was last year. When we need him, he’ll play. I went over it with Larry (Pleau) and (John Davidson) and we’ll approach it day by day and see what our team needs.”

Chris Mason will be in goal. When asked if Mason would start tomorrow in back-to-back games, Murray said, “We’ll see what happens.”

Detroit coach Mike Babcock said the same thing about Wings goalie Chris Osgood starting Friday and Saturday.

There will be a familiar voice behind the public-address microphone today. Blues PA announcer Tom Calhoun was invited to Sweden to announce the goals, penalities, etc.

“I haven’t gotten a lot of direction from the league yet about how I’m supposed to handle Blues’ goals, as opposed to Red Wings’ goals,” Calhoun said. “Being in neutral-site, I’m sure they’ll want me to play it a little bit more down the middle than what I’d normally would. But I’m sure I’ll still have a little more enthusiasm for the Blues’ goals than the others.”

Calhoun said the assignment keeps his streak intact. He has been behind the mic for EVERY Blues’ preseason, regular season and postseason game since January 1987.

“If somebody wanted to get technical, this would have been the first “home” game that I would have missed had I not been given the opportunity to come over,” Calhoun said. “It’s pretty exciting for me to come over and keep the streak alive.”

JR

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Also -- kudos to Curt to fixing all the (known) bugs before the season kicked off. He has fixed that pesky cut-and-paste outside articles issue and is waging a war on the spambots.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

There will be a familiar voice behind the public-address microphone today. Blues PA announcer Tom Calhoun was invited to Sweden to announce the goals, penalities, etc.

“I haven’t gotten a lot of direction from the league yet about how I’m supposed to handle Blues’ goals, as opposed to Red Wings’ goals,” Calhoun said. “Being in neutral-site, I’m sure they’ll want me to play it a little bit more down the middle than what I’d normally would. But I’m sure I’ll still have a little more enthusiasm for the Blues’ goals than the others.”

Calhoun said the assignment keeps his streak intact. He has been behind the mic for EVERY Blues’ preseason, regular season and postseason game since January 1987.

“If somebody wanted to get technical, this would have been the first “home” game that I would have missed had I not been given the opportunity to come over,” Calhoun said. “It’s pretty exciting for me to come over and keep the streak alive.”
That's pretty cool.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Hullie
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Hullie »

cprice12 wrote:

That's pretty cool.
The NHL wants the Blues to win.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Hullie wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

That's pretty cool.
That statement has never, ever been true.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Ace
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Ace »

3-2 Blues. Winchester, Kariya (2)

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

cprice12 wrote:

That's pretty cool.
For real. Tom Calhoun is all class.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Blues-2
Wings-3
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

Unfortunately stuck at work! :evil:
Fortunately there's a live stream!
Still an hour to go and I can't concentrate on anything except hockey! :goblues:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cprice12 wrote:
Hullie wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

That's pretty cool.
That statement has never, ever been true.
Much less when playing the Red Wings.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

Thank God. I'll be in flashchat, yo.
Official All-Time Co-Sponsor of Cam Janssen

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

richtedm wrote:Thank God. I'll be in flashchat, yo.
I'll be there tomorrow, but going to BWW to watch this one. I'm almost tempted to bring my laptop just for flashchat. wow, i really need a life.

GO BLUES!!!!

stlmark
All-Star
All-Star

Post by stlmark »

Blues 4 (Oshie,Berglund,EJ,Backes)

shitheads 3
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka

The Bob Essensa Xperience
All-Star
All-Star

Post by The Bob Essensa Xperience »

is the stream up and running? I can't get it to work...

I'm trying to use http://www.justin.tv/john1005

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Working online stream for those interested.

The atdhe.net link hasn't been working for me.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

abc789987
All-Star
All-Star

Post by abc789987 »

fack buff wild, they told me they could get the game... now i missed the first 1:30!!!
:goblues:

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by TheoSqua »

Yeah McClement!
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

stlloki
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow