Bettman v. Balsille

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Bettman v. Balsille

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

If the NHL does lose this case against Balsillie, do you all see Gary Bettman resigning in the near future??

Personally I see this thing going on for awhile yet, but I'm interested in what you guys think would happen given Baum rules in favor of Balsillie.

Will he actually try and relocate Coyotes mid-season?
Bettman resigning after a HUGE loss that affects all leagues?

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Bettman v. Balsille

Post by Robb_K »

[quote="TSUCookieMonster"]If the NHL [i]does [/i]lose this case against Balsillie, do you all see Gary Bettman resigning in the near future??

Personally I see this thing going on for awhile yet, but I'm interested in what you guys think would happen given Baum rules in favor of Balsillie.

Will he actually try and relocate Coyotes mid-season?
Bettman resigning after a HUGE loss that affects all leagues?[/quote]

NOBODY's going to move The Coyotes THIS SEASON. It's too late. It would be too disruptive. This offseason would be the first possibility of a move.

If Balsillie wins the case, The NHL will appeal. There may be more months of uncertainty.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Apparently the judge does believes in ties, no winner.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=500502
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

The Judge basically gave the NHL the team if they are willing to meet the Judge's conditions.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

This is dumb.

"Hey guys, sorry, no winner."

Great, so now the team can stay in Phoenix for a little bit longer, while STILL losing money out the butt. This whole thing won't put more fans into the seats for more than a few games, and that definitely isn't going to get them out of their 380 million in losses thus far...

How much money do they have to lose before it's considered a failed team?!?!??!?!?!

And why is the NHL so determined to keep the team there?! Are they getting discounts for the private rooms at the strip club or something???

Keeping a team in Phoenix is almost as bad as putting a baseball team in Montreal... oh wait... :doh:

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:This is dumb.

"Hey guys, sorry, no winner."

Great, so now the team can stay in Phoenix for a little bit longer, while STILL losing money out the butt. This whole thing won't put more fans into the seats for more than a few games, and that definitely isn't going to get them out of their 380 million in losses thus far...

How much money do they have to lose before it's considered a failed team?!?!??!?!?!

And why is the NHL so determined to keep the team there?! Are they getting discounts for the private rooms at the strip club or something???

Keeping a team in Phoenix is almost as bad as putting a baseball team in Montreal... oh wait... :doh:
It seems to me like its a pride thing amongst the NHL and its owners. Only a little over a decade ago, they all agreed about the viability of a hockey franchise in Phoenix, and I don't think they're willing to pick up the stakes and move (thereby admitting failure) only ten years after they agreed on the move from Winnipeg. I think it's going to happen with a lot of the Southern/Sun Belt teams. The NHL was a bit foolhardy to believe that hockey would work there, especially with the number of teams put there.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!