Advice on buying tickets from craigslist

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Advice on buying tickets from craigslist

Post by deadphish »

I guess without a scanner there is no way to be sure, but I was gonna try and pickup some below face tickets for Friday the 23rd. Anything to watch out for on the tickets themselves??? Sure don't to be scammed.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Re: Advice on buying tickets from craigslist

Post by stinkdified »

I've bought a fair amount of tickets off craigslist, never been had.
A lot of times its either season ticket holders who can't go to the game (but have the ability to email the tickets to you) or companies like the ticket guys that will leave them at the gate or you can come get them from them.
I guess you can't really get screwed if you meet them (unless they sell the tickets before you get there) or always use paypal or a secured site. I would also never go with someone who doesn't list a phone number, or at least someone you don't speak with before the transaction.
I dunno, the cheaper the tickets, the less you have less to lose...

oh yea, and don't trust anyone that looks like this ---> :ninja:
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

I was mostly worried about forgery since I have been screwed at concerts before by them. This is a guy selling 8 sec 324 tickets for $17.50 a piece. He says he got them off of ebay and wants to meet at a gas station even though we live less than 10 miles apart. Just seems phishy....

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

Counterfeits abound at huge demand events...not regular season NHL games.

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by stinkdified »

deadphish wrote:I was mostly worried about forgery since I have been screwed at concerts before by them. This is a guy selling 8 sec 324 tickets for $17.50 a piece. He says he got them off of ebay and wants to meet at a gas station even though we live less than 10 miles apart. Just seems phishy....
yea, i gotcha. sounds fine except that he got them off ebay...kinda odd, but isn't anything off craigslist?
as for meeting at a gas station with someone you meet off craigslist, thats kinda understandable, due to the fact that you have no idea who he and he has no idea who you are...he could be equally iffy as you might be...he might be some crazy dude with a gun as you could be some crazy guy with a gun.
for the price and the seats, seems reasonable. and if it is a cash-ticket transfer, i wonder if there is any way you could call the drinkscotch center and have them validate the barcode for you. dunno if they would 'waste' their time with that (i would call that good customer service, but thats just me). even if they would just do one, i would probably trust it, as you would pick any random of the eight, and if it matched up, you're proally chillin.
oh yea, one last thing. you know what tickets look and feel like. they either look like single game tickets or season ticket holder tickets (especially sec 324, or rather, upper bowl). If there is any doubts, let your common sense tell you.
you could also ask him for the ebay auction number before you meet and see if the seats match up (or if they exist...just play dumb and be like 'sorry, never bought any tickets off craigslist and want to make sure this is legit').
and if he is meeting you at a gas station, take his liscense plate number down, that way if he screws you, you can call the cops and have some kinda lead...
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo

ZigZagBluesFan
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by ZigZagBluesFan »

Just use StubHub. For high popularity events the tickets are still over face, but for most regular season Blues games, you'll find tickets well below face.

Best part, prices automatically keep going down as you get closer to game time.

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

Little asian college kid. He's had many other sales on craigslist after a little searching. Apparantly he sells quite a few and no one has complained yet (as far as I can tell). I got his plates, but I think I was/am just being paranoid. 3 cheapo seats for $50. Lotsa money left for beer and dogs.