Conklin or Mason

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Conklin or Mason

Post by SIU LAW »

section319 wrote:Why are you arguing with him? He comes here from the asylum and everyone argues with him, its pointless.
I respect your wisdom.

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

SIU LAW wrote:
Battra wrote:Once again, if you want give and take on this topic, that's fine, but you skipped several of my posts.

That's fair I think.

Tell ya what..we'll skip all the ones you ignored...and go back to the one where you attempted to answer...explaining by saying the blues played poorly.

Why is it a coincidence. Pretend I'm not as smart as you, and explain it. Start from the ground up.

Or, just tell me that it's simply your opinion, that'd be fine...but think you'd have to stop purporting it as fact.

No thanks. Not worth my time to attempt to prove something that everyone, excepts you, seems to understand. Also, I just noticed the quoted portions below.

I’m sure you going to crow and declare that I cannot back things up. But I am guessing you will be in the extreme minority with that opinion.
cprice12 wrote:The Blues played a GREAT game vs. the Ducks. They soundly beat them up and down the rink and really limited their good scoring chances.
Conklin was good in the game, but the Blues played well in front of him. He didn't have to steal the game for an sloppy Blues team that night.
Battra wrote:That one, I didn't see.
This concludes the need to continue this.

??? I'm a bit confused on your point.

You said the Blues played well.

I never said Conklin stole the game.

I took yours and Cprice's opinion on that game.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Bring Back Curtis Sanford!

Battra
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

ohio BLUES wrote:Bring Back Curtis Sanford!

Battra
:lol:

If you guys keep arguing with this goober we'll have to rebrand this place The Asylum II. The only thing this discussion does is make me appreciate the sanctuary of sanity we have here. 99% of the time that is....

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

strocklen083 wrote:

Battra

If you guys keep arguing with this goober we'll have to rebrand this place The Asylum II. The only thing this discussion does is make me appreciate the sanctuary of sanity we have here. 99% of the time that is....

++

You can't argue with a guy who has three game worn Curtis Sanford jersey's..
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

strocklen083
All-Star
All-Star

Post by strocklen083 »

section319 wrote:
strocklen083 wrote:

Battra

++

You can't argue with a guy who has three game worn Curtis Sanford jersey's..
I was going to throw that out there. But didn't want to get too personal. Thanks though! :grin:

Oh, and BTW. If there's any Sanford Superfans out there interested. I've got an autographed puck I'd be more than willing to part with for the right price.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Battra wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Battra wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
Battra wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:Using your own two eyes and common sense should help you see that Mason’s play has not been the issue.
Ahh..

The common sense tact. If that's the best argument you have there's no point in continuing.
WTF?

Why you getting so dismissive if someone tells you to beyond the stats and actually watch the game and critically think about what is going on?

It doesn’t take a learned hockey mind to evaluate Mason’s performance thus far.

Have you actually seen these games with your own two eyes? Yes or no?
Yes I have watched games. I have been to games, thank you.

I get dismissive because when one uses the common sense tact, it's shows that any conclusion I come to, would be stupid, if it differs from yours.

I have evaluated it, and I see it differently.

What does that mean to you?

I have concerns that he's going to falter, like he did in Nashville, and those concerns are being shown in the results.

Conklin, seems to be largely unaffected by this 'shoddy play' of the Blues.
The problem is you seem to be basing your opinion on stats alone...and stats rarely tell the whole story, especially with goaltending.
With goalies, their stats can be heavily influenced by the play of the team around them.

Therefore, actually analyzing his play instead of just looking at the stats, would give you a better idea of how well Mason has played. Hence the "common sense" comment.

I'm not sure how actually analyzing Mason's play, instead of focusing solely on stats, can be criticized. It's the best way to evaluate any player.

So, you say you have watched the games...if so, then would you say he is a victim of the way the team is playing around him, or is he actually playing as bad as his stats are saying right now?

Again, I am NOT basing it on the stats alone...

I'm saying the proof is in the results.

I think Mason's giving up softies.
And the results you listed as reasons to be concerned about Mason, were stats.
Breaking down glaring errors Mason has made, game in and game out that are costing Blues games might be a better way for you to approach this.
Just sayin'.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Softies? Ha.

It's like every goalie is either Patrick Roy in his prime or he's crap.

Time to re-evaluate what a softie is.

Making 6 amazing saves in a row and then missing the 7th is not a softie.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Yeah, any goalie is going to get scored on when Malkin gets 3 consecutive shots on goal, on the power play. How does that happen? It wasn't like someone passed it to him, he got his rebound each time.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I don't know why there is discussion about this at all... flip a coin, cause they are essentially the same guy.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

cprice12 wrote:
Battra wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Battra wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
Battra wrote: Ahh..

The common sense tact. If that's the best argument you have there's no point in continuing.
WTF?

Why you getting so dismissive if someone tells you to beyond the stats and actually watch the game and critically think about what is going on?

I get dismissive because when one uses the common sense tact, it's shows that any conclusion I come to, would be stupid, if it differs from yours.

I have concerns that he's going to falter, like he did in Nashville, and those concerns are being shown in the results.

The problem is you seem to be basing your opinion on stats alone...and stats rarely tell the whole story, especially with goaltending.
With goalies, their stats can be heavily influenced by the play of the team around them.

Therefore, actually analyzing his play instead of just looking at the stats, would give you a better idea of how well Mason has played. Hence the "common sense" comment.

I'm not sure how actually analyzing Mason's play, instead of focusing solely on stats, can be criticized. It's the best way to evaluate any player.

So, you say you have watched the games...if so, then would you say he is a victim of the way the team is playing around him, or is he actually playing as bad as his stats are saying right now?

Breaking down glaring errors Mason has made, game in and game out that are costing Blues games might be a better way for you to approach this.
Just sayin'.
Interesting point.

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

Again...what does Curtis Sanford have to do with anything involved in this?

I've never been one to root for the major star on the team. I never had a Hullie, Oates, Gretzky, Boyes, Oshie, Berglund, Tkachuk, MacInnis, etc jersey. It's now about how good a player is, it's about what I like.

It's like this...

Does anybody here like, say, The Beatles or the Ramones? If either one of these bands would be your favorite, by your standards, it would be impossible to discuss music with you, because you're not following the BEST BEST BEST!!!

Again, it's not about what's best, but who you like.

Battra
(not a bandwagon jumper and not a lover of sexy draft picks.)

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

SIU LAW wrote:
section319 wrote:Why are you arguing with him? He comes here from the asylum and everyone argues with him, its pointless.
I respect your wisdom.
My apologies for my dissenting opinion.

Mason is the greatest goalie ever to play for the Blues and the fact that in the only other season he was the incumbent starter he was demoted and shipped out of town has nothing to do with anything.

Better?

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Battra wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Battra wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Battra wrote:
SIU LAW wrote: WTF?

Just sayin'.
Interesting point.
Indeed

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Battra wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
I respect your wisdom.

Mason is the greatest goalie ever to play for the Blues and the fact that in the only other season he was the incumbent starter he was demoted and shipped out of town has nothing to do with anything.

Better?
You're allowed to have dissenting opinions... just not dumb ones.

One mediocre season and a slow start does not equal a pattern.

Consistency is the bane of many an NHL goaltender.

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

kodos wrote:
Battra wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
I respect your wisdom.

Better?
You're allowed to have dissenting opinions... just not dumb ones.

One mediocre season and a slow start does not equal a pattern.

Consistency is the bane of many an NHL goaltender.

I apologize for thinking this slow star, was reminiscent of another slow start.

Opinions are opinions.

They're not facts.

Any time I've a dissenting one, out come the claws, out come the what does he know, he likes Sanford blah blah.

Again.

My apologies.

Mason is great.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Get Jake Allen in here!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

comeoriginal
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by comeoriginal »

Why

Does

Everybody

Type

This

?
Unofficial LGB Sponsor of glen a richter

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Battra wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
I respect your wisdom.

Better?
Hmmm...I could be wrong, but I don't think the people you are debating with care who is in net. We just want to win hockey games. I could care less who is in goal (Mason, Conklin, Bishop, etc.), as long as he is playing well and we are winning games. Period.

And when a discussion about why the Blues are struggling a bit in the early go this season, inexplicably turns to "poor goaltending", when some of us don't think goaltending is a problem, and certainly not the reason we lost 5-1 in Pittsburgh, and in the same breath get accused of basically being Mason apologists...well...it's insulting to our intelligence as hockey fans.

To ramble on for page after page about goaltending when it isn't the problem, is a pain in the ass.
This time could be better spent discussing...
- Why we got outshot 20-3 in the 1st period last night. Was that Mason's fault? No.
- Getting outshot 15-8 in the 2nd period...was that Mason's fault? No.
- Letting Evgeni Malkin get 12 shots on net in Tuesday's game...was that Mason's fault? No.

If you have a bad leak in your basement foundation, you don't fix the problem by drying up the water on the floor...you fix the problem by fixing the hole in the wall so the water never comes in. In other words, control the puck and you won't get outshot by 20 and dominated on the scoreboard. If the Blues were playing even with these teams but losing on bad goals in an otherwise even game, then you can look at goaltending as a problem. But you can't blame goaltending when you get outshot 43-23. Sorry...but that's just stupid.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

cprice12 wrote:you can't blame goaltending when you get outshot 43-23. Sorry...but that's just stupid.
Not if the goalie is causing the team to play different in front of him.

VIVA LA CONKS!