Coverage on Vs. and Andy Murray

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Coverage on Vs. and Andy Murray

Post by thedoc »

Ok, first off don't be mad at me because I have Charter and I could watch the game. That being said I would like to talk about a few things. First off for those who watched the pre-game with "The Sports Professor", don't you think someone would have told him that we all know its a rug. Then he kept giving the camera the bug eye look to highlight points. I am now scared of three things in life. 1. Waking up a Red Wings fan, 2. Clowns and 3. The Sports Professor.

Then was it the broadcast or the lights in the arena. It looked like they were trying to have some gold lights to match their uniforms. No it wasn't my tv by the way because when they switched to highlights from other games it was fine.

Lastly I really enjoyed the period break update show. I thought it was good and the people on there had an idea of what they were talking about.

Lastly and I know that I will catch hell for this. If we have all of this talent why are they getting off to such slow starts. I don't think it is a problem with the players, but with the man behind the bench. DaDitka told me that Murray was quoted as saying he thought lines were pairs of 2. This being in reference to the flack he is getting changing the lines every 2 seconds. I don't know how you can learn to play top hockey with your line mates, when you don't know who your line mate is going to be from shift to shift.

I know this was a long thread and it was a lot of me venting. Thanks for your patience.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Coverage on Vs. and Andy Murray

Post by kodos »

I think the problem is that we might not have as much talent as we think.

We have a team of role players and support guys with no one leading the ship. This team has no real stars... just washed up vets and youngsters.

Who is the Blues best player? Ask 10 people and you will get different 10 answers. I always thought that would be a strength, but lately I'm wondering if it's not a problem.

Different sites always come out with top 50 lists of best players... when was the last time the Blues had a player in the top 50? It's been years. The last guy was probably Pronger, and that was a loooong time ago.

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

Thats a good point and I can't really give you a fact based counter point. As of right now and I know point totals do not support this but I think Andy Mac has been our best overall player so far. He is always hustling and working hard. If not for a few fans on pucks in the crease he might be our leading goal scorer.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

And Andy Mac is a great player. The kind you need on any team... but he's not a star. This team has no stars. Not one. Kariya was a star, Tkachuk was a star. Key word here is WAS.

The Blues need a franchise player. EJ will probably turn into one, but he's at least 3 or 4 years away from being a real game changer. I'm starting to have doubts that Perron, Oshie, Berglund or Backes will ever turn into anything beyond really good supporting players. I don't think any of them will ever crack any top 50 lists.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

I dont know about Bergy, but Oshie and Perron will never have good numbers. Perron really isnt doing anything out there.

Edit: there is absolutely no reason for Alex Pietrangelo to not be playing right now.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

It is amazing what a 3-3-1 schedule in the first 7 games of an 82 game season can do to some people. I kind of wish we wouldn't have made the play offs last year, then maybe there would be an outrageously high standard, that there apparently is now. Yeah, we had the best record in the league the second half of the season, but we were 15th in the west going into the second half of the season, then got swept in the playoffs. I wish everyone would quit expecting greatness from a team full of young kids, a couple decent vets and a shitty defense.

When we have been bad this year, we have been REAL bad and when we have been good this year we have only been good for part of the game, outside of the Anaheim game. So give it some time, everything will be fine, just take a step back from the ledge and give it 25 games. If we are still playing like this after 25 games then I will be worried, but some of you guys act like we are Toronto or something.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

I wish everyone would quit expecting greatness from a team full of young kids, a couple decent vets and a shitty defense.

I would agree, however.....

If we want to be a young team, and develop tommarow's stars (yes, I think Berglund can be a STAR and EJ as well) we're going about all wrong with Murray as the coach. I'm not looking to bash or lay blame, I'm saying that he doesn't fit the direction this organization is going.

And yes...Andy Mac as been out best player so far.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

section319 wrote:It is amazing what a 3-3-1 schedule in the first 7 games of an 82 game season can do to some people. I kind of wish we wouldn't have made the play offs last year, then maybe there would be an outrageously high standard, that there apparently is now. Yeah, we had the best record in the league the second half of the season, but we were 15th in the west going into the second half of the season, then got swept in the playoffs. I wish everyone would quit expecting greatness from a team full of young kids, a couple decent vets and a shitty defense.

When we have been bad this year, we have been REAL bad and when we have been good this year we have only been good for part of the game, outside of the Anaheim game. So give it some time, everything will be fine, just take a step back from the ledge and give it 25 games. If we are still playing like this after 25 games then I will be worried, but some of you guys act like we are Toronto or something.
Are you serious? We got f-ing embarrassed last night. The team totally shit themselves on national television and you talk about "outrageously high standards?" I blame the coach when the whole team doesn't appear to have the first clue about what the "scheme" is for that nights game. I blame the coach when players aren't prepared to play from the first puck drop till the final buzzer. Pitt was flying out there, and we couldn't string together three passes in a row. Has it escaped your notice that pitt fired a coach and won a stanley cup?
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

I can't aggree with the previous post more.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

It's important not to freak out to much over one game or even 7 games... but still... what we've seen so far has not been very encouraging overall.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Krigloch the Furious wrote: Edit: there is absolutely no reason for Alex Pietrangelo to not be playing right now.
:plusplus: Like I've said, most recently in another thread. Get all the damn kids that have been drafted recently, sign them up and bring them in. Tell Chopper that his new function is to get his skates on and teach them how to play the game every single practice for the next couple of years. They're obviously pining to build a team with a solid foundation of quality young defensemen, then they need to do what they need to do to get them experience now. It'll result in some nasty lumps but it'll work out when the seasoning is over.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

kodos wrote:It's important not to freak out to much over one game or even 7 games... but still... what we've seen so far has not been very encouraging overall.
Well said.
We're fortunate to be 3-3-1. We could be 1-5-1 if not for two, 2-goal comebacks vs. the Wings.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

cprice12 wrote:
kodos wrote:It's important not to freak out to much over one game or even 7 games... but still... what we've seen so far has not been very encouraging overall.
Well said.
We're fortunate to be 3-3-1. We could be 1-5-1 if not for two, 2-goal comebacks vs. the Wings.
:plusplus: At least we're not the Islanders or the Leafs, now those fans have something to be seriously concerned about this early.

Only 7 games in, even Barry Melrose made it 14 or 15 games before getting canned.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

Don't the Blues usually bomb the first half under Murray?

He took over during the second half the season and the Blues went on a tear. Expectations were raised. Blues fell flat out the gate to start the next year. They had a stronger second half which again raised expectations. Then they were in dead last as late as February. We all remember the late season push to get into the playoffs went...

Judging by history we're gonna be let down for a while. I don't know why it works that way, but its a pattern. I'm not ready to get all bi-polar yet.
Official All-Time Co-Sponsor of Cam Janssen

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

glen a richter wrote:
Krigloch the Furious wrote: Edit: there is absolutely no reason for Alex Pietrangelo to not be playing right now.
:plusplus: Like I've said, most recently in another thread. Get all the damn kids that have been drafted recently, sign them up and bring them in. Tell Chopper that his new function is to get his skates on and teach them how to play the game every single practice for the next couple of years. They're obviously pining to build a team with a solid foundation of quality young defensemen, then they need to do what they need to do to get them experience now. It'll result in some nasty lumps but it'll work out when the seasoning is over.
yep, he should have played all of last year. Tired of seeing these crap veterans in there. Get the young badasses in there and let them learn!

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
section319 wrote:It is amazing what a 3-3-1 schedule in the first 7 games of an 82 game season can do to some people. I kind of wish we wouldn't have made the play offs last year, then maybe there would be an outrageously high standard, that there apparently is now. Yeah, we had the best record in the league the second half of the season, but we were 15th in the west going into the second half of the season, then got swept in the playoffs. I wish everyone would quit expecting greatness from a team full of young kids, a couple decent vets and a shitty defense.

Are you serious? We got f-ing embarrassed last night. The team totally shit themselves on national television and you talk about "outrageously high standards?" I blame the coach when the whole team doesn't appear to have the first clue about what the "scheme" is for that nights game. I blame the coach when players aren't prepared to play from the first puck drop till the final buzzer. Pitt was flying out there, and we couldn't string together three passes in a row. Has it escaped your notice that pitt fired a coach and won a stanley cup?
Are you serious? It is 7 games into the season if we are playing like this 25 games in then yeah I would worry and call for Murrays head. Also, I don't think I am going to blame Murray for the team not being able to pass or not having the self respect to get up for a game against the Stanley Cup champions. I know it is the coaches job to get the team ready, but these guys are grown men if they can't get up and hustle for a game against Pittsburgh that's on them. I am not saying it has nothing to do with Murray, but when we are 7 games in and all of a sudden everyone is ready to fire Murray, everyone loved him the second half of last season when we were kicking ass, do you really think that since last year Murray is doing any less coaching than he was last year? I blame it on the players not doing what they need to do.

And as far as Pittsburgh winning the cup after they brought Bylsma up, I think it was more than just changing coaches. Therrien had "lost" the team from what I read, and I don't think Murray has "lost" the team yet. Also, I don't think you can underestimate the effect Gonchar had on the team after he came back from being injured.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
yep, he should have played all of last year. Tired of seeing these crap veterans in there. Get the young badasses in there and let them learn!

You guys bitch about the defense now, I would love to see us play Petro and Junland and whoever else every game, we would being giving up even more goals than we do now. Young defenseman can learn to play in other leagues before they get thrown into the NHL.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Teams get shelled, even good teams get shelled. Yes, the slow starts are alarming. But it is absolutely no reason to question the validity of your number one goalie, the job security of your head coach, etc. If they are doing this in January, we'll talk. I still remember in the second game of last season, Chris Mason gave up 4 goals to the New York Islanders in the first few periods. I remember reading on this fine board that people thought we overpaid for him. Needless to say, it was his first start of the season. But, if memory serves correct, he was the primary factor in guiding the Blues to the playoffs. Funny how that work out, eh?

My point is that yes, its been 7 games, and yes, the Blues were hammered and possibly even embarrassed last night. But seriously, it's 7 games. The Blues could go 7-0-0 in their next 7 and people would be saying Murray should win the Jack Adams award, which, if memory serves correct, he was nominated for last year.

Hmm...

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

And they are still only 3 points from the 8th spot.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

kodos wrote:And they are still only 3 points from the 8th spot.
What's the magic number?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024