What would make the Blues awesome?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: What would make the Blues awesome?

Post by DaDitka »

JWatt (formerly PMS) wrote: So now you are going to trade away a bunch of our youth for a high-priced player, back the money truck up to try and resign him, and then replace Perron and Eller with another free agent. Welcome to salary cap hell.

We chose not to draft top end players so the only way we are going to get one is by trade or free agency.

A team full of 50 point support guys is nice, but you're not winning a cup.

Remember, after the first week of the season - a Perron and Ellar deal would look a whole lot different and I still think Atlanta would laugh at it.

Salary cap hell is paying a bunch of 'nice' players 70% to 80% of what a star will cost you. The idea would be that you have more kids to bring up and replace the ones you trade.

JD stated the week before the season that not all the kids that were up here would stay and that not all the kids in the system would make it to St. Louis. He stated "The will help us win in another way."

I did fully expect this reaction when I made the post (why trade for a free agent), I'm just surprised someone hasn't suggested we send Brewer and a non top end prospect...and were serious.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Stamkos got his freakin 10th goal today.

comeoriginal
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by comeoriginal »

Krigloch the Furious wrote:Stamkos got his freakin 10th goal today.
Good work detective
Unofficial LGB Sponsor of glen a richter

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

DaDitka wrote:
JWatt (formerly PMS) wrote: So now you are going to trade away a bunch of our youth for a high-priced player, back the money truck up to try and resign him, and then replace Perron and Eller with another free agent. Welcome to salary cap hell.

We chose not to draft top end players so the only way we are going to get one is by trade or free agency.

A team full of 50 point support guys is nice, but you're not winning a cup.

Remember, after the first week of the season - a Perron and Ellar deal would look a whole lot different and I still think Atlanta would laugh at it.

Salary cap hell is paying a bunch of 'nice' players 70% to 80% of what a star will cost you. The idea would be that you have more kids to bring up and replace the ones you trade.

JD stated the week before the season that not all the kids that were up here would stay and that not all the kids in the system would make it to St. Louis. He stated "The will help us win in another way."

I did fully expect this reaction when I made the post (why trade for a free agent), I'm just surprised someone hasn't suggested we send Brewer and a non top end prospect...and were serious.
++

Gotta give to get. EJ, DP & maybe TJ(because of jersey sales/armchair warriors) wouldn't be moved but I'd put $$ down that there's a move or 2 made prior to 3/10. Backes is on the bubble but I believe that will depend on what they plan on doing with KT. We're in a good position considering the $$ coming off of the books w/in the next 2 years but then again there's also the upcoming CBA to contend with yet I have faith that JD & co will be prepared either way.

Bottom line - we do not have a true goal scorer and as it's been mentioned, we're going to have to trade to acquire one. Only question is can we get one by offereing a bright future here in STL or are we going to have to overpay again ala PK?
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

What would make the Blues awesome is if they were scoring some goals...
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

What top player are we going to trade for? I would have given up quite a bit for Pronger because I think a top defenseman is what this team lacks the most. I'm just not sure what else there is available that really solves our problems.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm almost disappointed that they didn't get Kessel, who should start playing sometime this month.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Some of you seem to forget that trading away youth for veterans is a problem that has plagued this team for a while, with nothing to show for it. I trust in JD & Co. I will give it a few more years before I start declaring that Perron is only going to be a 60 point guy and that none of our youngsters can turn into superstars, unlike some of you guys. It is too early in the season to be calling for Murray's head (getting close to that point though) and it is too early in the careers of many of our prospects to start saying that are only 60 point guys and just assist guys and not true scorers.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

section319 wrote:Some of you seem to forget that trading away youth for veterans is a problem that has plagued this team for a while, with nothing to show for it. I trust in JD & Co. I will give it a few more years before I start declaring that Perron is only going to be a 60 point guy and that none of our youngsters can turn into superstars, unlike some of you guys. It is too early in the season to be calling for Murray's head (getting close to that point though) and it is too early in the careers of many of our prospects to start saying that are only 60 point guys and just assist guys and not true scorers.
I worry that with Murray at the helm, we'll be fortunate if some of these kids reach 60 points regularly.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

section319 wrote:Some of you seem to forget that trading away youth for veterans is a problem that has plagued this team for a while, with nothing to show for it. I trust in JD & Co. I will give it a few more years before I start declaring that Perron is only going to be a 60 point guy and that none of our youngsters can turn into superstars, unlike some of you guys. It is too early in the season to be calling for Murray's head (getting close to that point though) and it is too early in the careers of many of our prospects to start saying that are only 60 point guys and just assist guys and not true scorers.
I'm generally in agreement. I think making a trade to shake things up wouldn't be a bad idea, but I certainly wouldn't give away any of our top young players to do it -- that defeats the purpose.

However, let's not forget that we're only 4 points out of 8th with 2 games in hand on much of the conference. It's not time to panic just yet, and it's CERTAINLY not time to throw overboard the coach who got you into the playoffs last year. The Blues are trying to be competitive and rebuild at the same time, which isn't easy.

I liked your use of the word "trust". I'm obviously not thrilled with the way October went, but I trust JD to do what's right. If Murray's the problem, then he'll go. If not, then he won't.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Yeah, this ultimately is just a sluggish start. It can turn around quickly. That said, this team is no fun to watch right now.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

BF44 wrote: but I trust JD to do what's right. If Murray's the problem, then he'll go. If not, then he won't.

I do believe JD will do what will help the team period....no worry about contracts, cost, or jersey sales. Dude loves hockey and wants W's.

So in the end, I trust him….and I haven’t felt like that in a very….very …..long time

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

I don't think Andy Murray utilizes the skilled players we have to their fullest potential. I understand lines have to be balanced, but Murray's strategy is ridiculous. For example, he'll play guys like Brad Boyes on the third line with Cam Jansenn. He also switches lines so much that teammates can't develop any chemistry.

I would put David Perron, Andy McDonald, and David Backes on the first line together. Perron is a skilled young player and great puck handler and I think he could put up some numbers alongside McDonald - and Backes adds his power forward skills and toughness to the line. Let this line play together over and over, and the chemistry will come.

For the 2nd line, Boyes and Kariya. Insert any right winger. Boyes has shown to be a 40+ goal scorer when Kariya is his assist man. Need a say more?
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Truly that is what the problem is. Makes me wonder if he doesn't just draw names from a hat to decide who plays with whom. Teammates can't get any kind grove going he keeps shuffling the lines.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

He has actually done a better job keeping his lines together this year than he did last year.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

philco_3 wrote:Truly that is what the problem is. Makes me wonder if he doesn't just draw names from a hat to decide who plays with whom. Teammates can't get any kind grove going he keeps shuffling the lines.
That's how Billy Martin used to put together batting orders. The differences are Billy had a record of winning, and I don't think Andy Murray has any record of being a drunkard.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Here's what you do. It's a simple 2-step process to awesomeness:
1) Organize all the players in the system at the NHL/AHL level by point totals; most being at the top. Make one for offense and one for defense.
2) Go down the list chronologically until the NHL roster is filled; send the rejects to the minors or trade them away or whatev's.

Who cares how much experience they have, if they're scoring - even if it's in the AHL - they should be in the big leagues. There are a lot of guys up here now who don't even seem to give a crap that they're NHLers. If they don't want to play like it, ship their asses out.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

VictorManthing
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by VictorManthing »

ViPeRx007 wrote:Here's what you do. It's a simple 2-step process to awesomeness:
1) Organize all the players in the system at the NHL/AHL level by point totals; most being at the top. Make one for offense and one for defense.
2) Go down the list chronologically until the NHL roster is filled; send the rejects to the minors or trade them away or whatev's.

Who cares how much experience they have, if they're scoring - even if it's in the AHL - they should be in the big leagues. There are a lot of guys up here now who don't even seem to give a crap that they're NHLers. If they don't want to play like it, ship their asses out.
Sarcasm right? It's tough to tell sometimes with this being the internet and all. Cause this is bat sh!t crazy.
Let's Go Blooze!!!

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

BF44 wrote:
I'm generally in agreement. I think making a trade to shake things up wouldn't be a bad idea, but I certainly wouldn't give away any of our top young players to do it -- that defeats the purpose.

However, let's not forget that we're only 4 points out of 8th with 2 games in hand on much of the conference. It's not time to panic just yet, and it's CERTAINLY not time to throw overboard the coach who got you into the playoffs last year. The Blues are trying to be competitive and rebuild at the same time, which isn't easy.

I liked your use of the word "trust". I'm obviously not thrilled with the way October went, but I trust JD to do what's right. If Murray's the problem, then he'll go. If not, then he won't.
Our problem 8-9 years ago was trading all our good young guys for proven scorers, and then we had no one left to play with them. We should do now the same thing we should have done back then to improve our team....SIGN A FREAKING UFA FORWARD TO PLAY WITH THE YOUNG TALENT! Don't trade our young guys. There are many teams that are going to be extremely cap tight the next couple of seasons that won't be able to bid on UFAs. The Blues are currently in a good cap position to go for a UFA.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

VictorManthing wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:Here's what you do. It's a simple 2-step process to awesomeness:

Sarcasm right? It's tough to tell sometimes with this being the internet and all. Cause this is bat sh!t crazy.
It's sarcastic right now but if the team keeps playing like garbage I don't think anything is crazy.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko