Backes For Captain...

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

illownyou
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Backes For Captain...

Post by illownyou »

Great comments from Backes in this snippet...

JEREMY RUTHERFORD
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/03/2009

Although his team was jockeying for its own respect at the time, Columbus coach Ken Hitchcock was unabashed when describing what impressed him most about the Blues last season.

"They're relentless," Hitchcock said. "They just keep coming after you, coming after you. They just keep playing and playing, and if you don't have the stomach for the fight, they just break you right down."

That was in March, as the Blues were in the process of posting the NHL's best record in the second half of the season and completing their bid for a playoff spot. MORE BLUES
TICKETS: Go here and find games under "upcoming events"
SOUND OFF: Blues Talk forum
BLUES BLOG: Morning Skate
NHL BLOG: Hockey Guy
How the Blues stormed back
P-D PHOTOS: Blues hockey galleries
P-D STORIES: Last 14 days of Blues coverage

Eight months later, it's doubtful that Hitchcock or any other coach would have that same evaluation of the Blues. They are 5-6-1 overall and 1-5 at home, have been shut out in each of their past two games and have dropped to 25th in the standings.

To comprehend the situation, understand that those numbers can turn around quickly. But at the root of the Blues' concern now is that those numbers reflect a bigger issue: A team that built its reputation on hard work and desperation has misplaced its identity.

"Obviously, we're missing part of our game we had last year ... that same consistent effort for 60 minutes every night," Blues forward B.J. Crombeen said. "I think it's something that you have to establish every year ... your team identity. Everyone is looking for it, and there's not one answer why we don't have it. But we've just got to put our heads down and go out and find it."

The Blues had the day off Monday but will have two days of practice before hosting the Calgary Flames on Thursday at Scottrade Center. They will go through several puck-moving drills and body-banging sessions in the next 48 hours, but what seems to be absent in the Blues' recent play might not be found on the ice.

"It's a mind-set," Blues forward David Backes said. "You set your mind to it before the game starts. It's not the puck bouncing over our sticks every single time. It's definitely not that. It's something we can control.

"We have most of the key pieces to the puzzle that we had last year, plus we have a few high-quality guys (back from injury). To not be as successful as we were in the second half, it's obviously not personnel. It's something within our locker room that we need to change, as far as our mentality.

"It comes down to guys in this room getting the job done. We obviously need to put more desperation into every single shift."

In the preseason, there were questions about whether the Blues could mesh their physical style of play with the skill level that was returning to the lineup in the form of Paul Kariya and Erik Johnson. Though it's not being suggested that the Blues are worse off with Kariya, who is the team's co-leader in goals with four, and Johnson, who leads in assists with seven, it's fair to say the on-ice chemistry has not blended as well as expected.

"I don't know if it's been used a lot in our room, but I think we've got to get back to what we were doing without them," Blues center Jay McClement said. "I don't think we can expect to be better just because we've added those types of players. We still have to do all the things we had to do to be successful last year."

The Blues would like to believe that they're on the verge of playing well and that two recent shutout losses are the result of trying too hard. The team had 32 shots in Thursday's 2-0 loss to Phoenix and a season-high 34 in a 4-0 loss to Florida.

"That's 66 bids at goals and we get zero out of it," Backes said. "There's a lot of guys in here maybe trying to do too much, trying to complicate the game too much, myself included."

"I think more than anything," McClement said, "it's individual games ... every guy, their individual game has got to be better. That's going to make our team game better."

Difficult practices are promised today and Wednesday before the Flames come to town.

"If we're going to spend (the next few) days beating the (tar) out of each other in practice, and we need to get rowdy and at each other's throats, by all means, I'm willing to do it," Backes said. "If we're going to shoot 1,000 pucks each at our goalies until they're black and blue — I don't want that for our goaltending because that's been the best part of our game — but if that's what it takes, I'm willing to do that.

"Coaches are trying as hard as they can, and we're working to get our game going. We're working together here."
Formerly known as ledzeppelinfan1...

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Backes For Captain...

Post by goon attack »

that's the kind of shit a captain does say. if he backs it up by beating the crap out of the opposition, put the C on his sweater
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

fargoblues
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by fargoblues »

But what about teh brewer, eric?
Official LGB Sponsor of Bernie Federko's Stonewashed Jeans, Custom Cabinets, and cold Busch Light.

hugedeal
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by hugedeal »

An invisible captain?

The guy needs to start leading by example before he even gets to wear an 'A' again.
Official LGB sponsor of Alex Steen.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

goon attack wrote:that's the kind of shit a captain does say. if he backs it up by beating the crap out of the opposition, put the C on his sweater
:lol: :lol: :okman:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

The next player to score a goal gets to be the captain.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

kodos wrote:The next player to score a goal gets to be the captain.
This sounds like a great idea.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

section319 wrote:
This sounds like a great idea.
We can't go without a captain indefinitely, can we?

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

I think the new Captain should obtain his status Highlander style. There can be only one.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Eric Johnson's going to eventually be our long-term captain. First overall picks usually are. That is, down the road a few years when he gets good Chris-Pronger-style.
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Hell I thought McClement's comments were more captain-like than any in that report.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Prngr44 wrote:Hell I thought McClement's comments were more captain-like than any in that report.
More importantly, I think McClement's play has been more captain like than anyone else on the team. The guy is all around the net, all over opponents, and skating hard on every shift.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Anybody else see Backes on NHL Live today? Apparently he was on the Today Show this morning too, talking about Team USA.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

On a somewhat related subject I noticed on NHL 10 that the Blues traded Brewer to the Rangers, and named Backes captain. At least EA Sports knows who should be captain.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
Prngr44 wrote:Hell I thought McClement's comments were more captain-like than any in that report.
More importantly, I think McClement's play has been more captain like than anyone else on the team. The guy is all around the net, all over opponents, and skating hard on every shift.
+++

He's gotta be the most underrated player on the team. In fact, he's been once of the top 2 or 3 consistent players all year if you ask me. Is it much of a stretch to say he's one of the better stopper line centers in the league? Or am I overvaluing my own team's players?

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

#61!!

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

dmiles2186 wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:
+++

He's gotta be the most underrated player on the team. In fact, he's been once of the top 2 or 3 consistent players all year if you ask me. Is it much of a stretch to say he's one of the better stopper line centers in the league? Or am I overvaluing my own team's players?
You are, & the real Cpt should be my sponsor.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star

Tkachuk for Captain...

Post by STLADOGG »

Tkachuk is more like it.....
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

I've been saying this for the past year+.

Also, he did get a fighting major last night. That should appease goon.
2015-2016 LGB sponsor of Robert Bortuzzo
2014-2015 LGB sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Tkachuk for Captain...

Post by DaDitka »

STLADOGG wrote:Tkachuk is more like it.....

More like what?

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund