Let's be honest about the NHL these days

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Let's be honest about the NHL these days

Post by goon attack »

I'm sure glad I didn't waste 50-100 bucks on that pathetic display last night. Not one fight either... I see fans staying away in droves... What a goddamn ripoff.

GREAT JOB NHL, for ROYALLY screwing up what was once BY AND FAR the most kick ass spectator sport on earth. It used to be edge of your seat excitement. Now, fans just sit there like zombies and zone out as nondescript players wearing 4 inches of armor bounce around like pinballs, injuring each other indiscriminately because they know they won't get their asses kicked.

You know all these open ice hits we think are so bitchin... you know, the ones that destroyed Eric Lindros' career, screwed up Paul Kariya, and knocked Pat LaFontaine out of the game? Well, you used to get your ass kicked for something like that, clean or not. That's just the way it was.

Last night, Cam Janssen steamrolls a Panther and who is there to kick his ass? Nobody, because being a pussy on the ice is now part of the NHL's philosophy. So, unless there's a goon on the ice, nothing happens. Other players need to step up. I guess they're too worried about getting a punch in the nose or (Franking) up their expensive dental work.

It's absolutely pathetic.

I propose capping the maximum salary of an nhl player at 100 grand. I'm franking serious. Give the profits from team revenue to charity. Something needs to be done to bring the honor and balls back to this once great game. This is (Franking) bullshit.

F*CK YOU NHL
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Philo
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Let's be honest about the NHL these days

Post by Philo »

It's simple,don't watch.
"Philo can stalk with impunity"Goon Attack

Carl Racki
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Carl Racki »

:grin:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I agree...in part.
I don't dislike the game now, but it was very much indeed better when players policed the ice themselves.
I miss it.
If you want to throw your weight around, you had better damn well be ready to stand up for your actions because someone is going to make you earn that open ice hit you just dished out.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I also didn't like seeing players coast up and down the ice and simply hook the sh(t out of someone cause they can't keep up.

The rules changed goon, some were good and others bad.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

illownyou
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by illownyou »

I guess that it was inevitable that after 77 views this wretched blather would get a response at some point...
Formerly known as ledzeppelinfan1...

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Philo wrote:It's simple,don't watch.
I haven't.

If you don't like my threads, don't look at them.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

illownyou wrote:I guess that it was inevitable that after 77 views this wretched blather would get a response at some point...
You just had to come in here and melt, didn't you? :grin:

illownyou
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by illownyou »

goon attack wrote:
illownyou wrote:I guess that it was inevitable that after 77 views this wretched blather would get a response at some point...
:wink:

Never miss an easy target...

I've made that a rule.
Formerly known as ledzeppelinfan1...

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

I still like the NHL, but I agree that it's like a completely different sport/league. The renaming of the divisions, as ridiculous as it sounds, is when things really started to change. They changed after the lockout, but in my opinion the biggest change was around 94-95.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Everything changed when all the mullets began disappearing.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I would like to keep the skill players in the game, but bring back the self-cleanup that used to happen on a regular basis. I would love to see these panzy agitators who slash and take cheapshots get absolutely jumped by a legitimate goon.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

I'd like to see the instigator called differently...

Let's say someone..... picked totally at random... Ohhh... I dunno.... Kirk Maltby.... yeah him....

Maltby runs Chris Mason. Cam comes over and beats Maltby back into teh Victorian era.

The way I see it.. Maltby's the instigator -- he started it -- he ran Mason!!!

:detsucks: :letsgoblues:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

My wife, who played hockey in HS and college (played on the same team as Chris Higgins when she was in HS) was watching an old timey game on NHL network yesterday. I believe it was Montreal v. Toronto circa a long ass time ago. She said that it seemed (to her) that the players weren't as good as they are today. Now, there is no freaking doubt in MY mind that the players of yesteryear were way the hell better than the bionic armor-heads of today. One, they had more natural talent, two they didn't wear two feet thick of shielding, and three they played the game like an art, not like dumping the puck into the corner and then every jackass on the ice goes running in after it and scrumming in the corner for a minute and a half. But most people seem to want to see 60 minutes of physicality. If there's not blood spurting and bodies flying, it's not a quality game.

For my money, they should ban all pads, helmets and goalie masks (maybe, just maybe, allow them a mask, but that's it), dramatically lower the maximum stick curvature, put the red line back at center ice, forbid dump and chase and bring back the game that it used to be. Skill passing, skill skating and skill shooting.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

goon attack wrote:
:facepalm:
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald