Would we have still traded Pronger if...

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Would we have still traded Pronger if...

Post by xbleed83bluex »

The year after the lockout, when we REALLY sucked, would Pleu&co still have traded Pronger for Brewer if they knew MaGinnis was going to retire ahead of a time?
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Would we have still traded Pronger if...

Post by section319 »

MaGinnis? Really?

And I really hope they wouldn't have done that.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Yes they would have still traded Pronger cause they were told to cut the teams pay roll down. The previous owners only cared about one thing, $$$ and nothing else.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

blues22
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by blues22 »

The Pronger trade wasn't motivated by a thought of we have Al. Though it wasn't official, I think that in their hearts, everyone knew that Al's career was over in '03. Bill "The real reason for Blues fans to boycott Wal-mart" Laurie put in the pressure to get rid of Pronger, because as a businessman, he's closer to being a "trophy" husband. I still hate that guy.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Yeah, Laurie sunk a ton of money into the team for a few years and traded away ever asset and pick the team had in an effort to WIN RIGHT NOW! Then he got bored with the team. Trading Pronger had nothing to do with the product on the ice. It was just about getting payroll down. He didn't want a massive long term contract on the books when he sold the team.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

kodos wrote:Trading Pronger had nothing to do with the product on the ice. It was just about getting payroll down. He didn't want a massive long term contract on the books when he sold the team.
Exactly. I recall at one point while the team was for sale I believe I read the only non rookie contract that lasted beyond that year was the Jamal.

Still to this day I will never believe that we got the most we could get for Pronger.

My guess is we could have gotten a better package with established players but then we would have been taking more payroll back on which defeated Billie’s plan that had nothing to do with hockey.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

blues22 wrote:The Pronger trade wasn't motivated by a thought of we have Al. Though it wasn't official, I think that in their hearts, everyone knew that Al's career was over in '03. Bill "The real reason for Blues fans to boycott Wal-mart" Laurie put in the pressure to get rid of Pronger, because as a businessman, he's closer to being a "trophy" husband. I still hate that guy.
I happened upon my copy of Note by Note last week, and it's sickening how many photos that bag is in, "just because." You look at all the photos and it's obvious that some assistant handed him a Blues jacket and hat right before the shutter was clicked. I remember the ovation he received when he first bought the team... because everyone pretty much thought it would be a good thing. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

He should have traded Pronger for a crapload of draft picks.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

kodos wrote:He should have traded Pronger for anybody that wasn't Eric Brewer and Jeff Woywitka.
Phixed.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
kodos wrote:He should have traded Pronger for anybody that wasn't Eric Brewer and Jeff Woywitka.
Phixed.
Don't forget Doug Lynch.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

JWatt (formerly PMS) wrote:
ProngerBlues44 wrote:
Phixed.
Don't forget Doug Lynch.
Doug Lynch? The guy who sang 'The United States of Whatever' song?
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

Battra
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Battra »

The way I understood it was that Laurie directed Pleau to trade Pronger for NHL level talent. Had to have enough people to field the team.

05-06 was the first year of the salary capped and floored NHL. The Blues ownership/beancounting team of Laurie and Sauer didn't want to buy any players out, hence why Walt and Douggie's bloated contracts were still on the books.

There was a salary floor of I believe $30MM at the time. I could be very well mistaken on that one, since the cap/floor changes each season.

Laurie put a self imposed cap of $30MM, instead of the $40MM league cap. With Walt, Douggie, and Lalime essentially gobbling up nearly $20MM of that 30...they needed players. Gods that was a dark year.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

As I remember it at the time, the Blues only "had the money" to hold on to two of the "big 4" of Demitra, Pronger, Tkachuk and Weight and management decided to hold on to Weight and Walt. But it saddened me Pronger was one of those to be given the boot. At least we kind of knew it was coming but it was a sad day. You can look up the thread from the day of the trade in the HOF, its still there.

Teh Arkives are teh awesum.

There's not a single doubt in my mind that the Blues should've gotten a pick or two or three. You gotta remember though that the perception of Brewer at the time was a top 4 dman up and coming. It was considered a solid asset to be getting. Granted he was no Hart/Norris winner but it was a guy who could step in right away and that hurt the prospect of getting any picks. Still could've happened though- just look at what he was sold for the last 2 times he was traded.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Laurie told Pleau to just let Pronger go to free agency for nothing. NOTHING.

Pleau fought to qualify Pronger so they could at least get something for him.

What packages Pleau was offered and what he was allowed to take (in terms of salary) I don’t know. Whether Pleau personally blew the chance for another package of players/picks, I don’t know.

Laurie’s lawyer buddy played a big hand in all this as well.

Interesting tidbit: When I was running my blog, I had someone close to the Pronger situation tell me all sorts of stories surrounding the Pronger ordeal (and about the sale of the Blues -- the Pronger situation had pass by then). His position to know things was confirmed by a member of the St. Louis sports media. He told me that Keenan flat out tampered with Pronger during the ordeal. He wanted Pronger in Florida BAD. The two teams never pulled off a deal though.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

As smart as it sounded to qualify Pronger and get something... this team would have been better off with the nothing.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

kodos wrote:As smart as it sounded to qualify Pronger and get something... this team would have been better off with the nothing.
:lol:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

kodos wrote:As smart as it sounded to qualify Pronger and get something... this team would have been better off with the nothing.
Hey now, we DID get first overall in 05-06 after all. If you're going to end up at the same place anyway might as well have some new blood out there doing it :P

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

SIU LAW wrote:Interesting tidbit: When I was running my blog, I had someone close to the Pronger situation tell me all sorts of stories surrounding the Pronger ordeal (and about the sale of the Blues -- the Pronger situation had pass by then). His position to know things was confirmed by a member of the St. Louis sports media. He told me that Keenan flat out tampered with Pronger during the ordeal. He wanted Pronger in Florida BAD. The two teams never pulled off a deal though.
Mother Franker.

You are telling me we should have gotten back our 5 first round picks for that deal? Who gives a shit if we had to take Sally Brewer if we got 5 first round picks out of the tampering.

If I wasn't pissed about that trade before, I sure as hell am now that you shared that little gem.

:lol:
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

WaukeeBlues wrote:As I remember it at the time, the Blues only "had the money" to hold on to two of the "big 4" of Demitra, Pronger, Tkachuk and Weight and management decided to hold on to Weight and Walt. But it saddened me Pronger was one of those to be given the boot. At least we kind of knew it was coming but it was a sad day. You can look up the thread from the day of the trade in the HOF, its still there.
Yeah I heard that. But, if the Blues knew Macinnis would retire, could we could have afforded to hold onto one more of those guys? Say...Pronger?
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

xbleed83bluex wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:As I remember it at the time, the Blues only "had the money" to hold on to two of the "big 4" of Demitra, Pronger, Tkachuk and Weight and management decided to hold on to Weight and Walt. But it saddened me Pronger was one of those to be given the boot. At least we kind of knew it was coming but it was a sad day. You can look up the thread from the day of the trade in the HOF, its still there.
Yeah I heard that. But, if the Blues knew Macinnis would retire, could we could have afforded to hold onto one more of those guys? Say...Pronger?
His contract would have been on the books the longest cause IIRC, he wanted a long term extension. Laurie was burning the books.

It was just a calculated move. They figured we'd get some defensive players for Pronger and the offense would take a hit with Demitra leaving as it was (I think he was a foregone conclusion, never really debated that he was leaving) so yea. I still think we should've gotten at least one first rounder out of it.