WTFGDT: Blues @ Thrashers, FSMW/KMOX 4pm

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: WTFGDT: Blues @ Thrashers, FSMW/KMOX 4pm

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

northwest dave wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:I didn't get to watch this game, but from the recap it appears "Captain Brewer" added to his impressive +/- total again today - two even strength goals and he's a -2 for a perfect night... and led all Blues skaters in TOI. He is now -6 in five games played, and working hard to take over the team lead.

Murray has got to go and soon.

I am tired of "tough loss" EVERY game lately.
I think Brewer has been playing pretty well IMO.
If you need a whipping boy...Kariya or Boyes would be better.
Are you serious? Half the time Brewer makes Walt look fast. Brewer is at least a step slow, poorly positioned, playing like he's a small player and - it *must* just be coincidence - the other teams SCORE GOALS when he is on the ice and our team does NOT SCORE GOALS.

The offense is playing "The Scheme." If you don't play "The Scheme" you don't get ice time.

But hey, if that's ok with you, have at it then.
Tkachuk should look faster, he's a forward.
Everyone likes to bash Brewer. But he's actually played well in the last few games, against the top lines, in which the Blues haven't given up many goals.

It's goal scoring, not the defense. If you want to blame someone from the defense, why not Roman "long shot wide" Polak.

Brewer is an easy target, but you don't win if you don't score...or at least that's what Bernie would say.
:facepalm: :doh: Walt looks comically slow and Brewer looks slower... but it's ok cause Brewer makes Walt look right? WTF are you saying?

Polak is +3 in 14 games... with a goal and 4 assists...averaging 20 minutes a night... Can his game improve? sure. But he's a 23 year old defenseman in his 3rd year in the league so there is still room to grow. Off to a nice start in this young season and I hope he continues to improve and Murray gives him more responsibility and Brewer less. What exactly do you want me to say about Polak?
Can't argue with stats when you didn't watch the game. Brewer played well.
Okay, we can disagree and I will add you to my "lol, he likes Brewer's play" list so I know not to debate the issue with you anymore.

:lol: :wink:

At the end of the day we want the same thing...

:letsgoblues:
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

comeoriginal
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by comeoriginal »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
comeoriginal wrote::facepalm:
:roll:
Unofficial LGB Sponsor of glen a richter

hugedeal
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by hugedeal »

I think Brewer has played well the last two games. His pass to Perron today was a great heads-up play.
Official LGB sponsor of Alex Steen.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:
northwest dave wrote: I think Brewer has been playing pretty well IMO.
Are you serious? Half the time Brewer makes Walt look fast. Brewer is at least a step slow, poorly positioned, playing like he's a small player and - it *must* just be coincidence - the other teams SCORE GOALS when he is on the ice and our team does NOT SCORE GOALS.

The offense is playing "The Scheme." If you don't play "The Scheme" you don't get ice time.

But hey, if that's ok with you, have at it then.
Tkachuk should look faster, he's a forward.
Everyone likes to bash Brewer. But he's actually played well in the last few games, against the top lines, in which the Blues haven't given up many goals.

It's goal scoring, not the defense. If you want to blame someone from the defense, why not Roman "long shot wide" Polak.

Brewer is an easy target, but you don't win if you don't score...or at least that's what Bernie would say.
:facepalm: :doh: Walt looks comically slow and Brewer looks slower... but it's ok cause Brewer makes Walt look right? WTF are you saying?

Polak is +3 in 14 games... with a goal and 4 assists...averaging 20 minutes a night... Can his game improve? sure. But he's a 23 year old defenseman in his 3rd year in the league so there is still room to grow. Off to a nice start in this young season and I hope he continues to improve and Murray gives him more responsibility and Brewer less. What exactly do you want me to say about Polak?
Can't argue with stats when you didn't watch the game. Brewer played well.
Okay, we can disagree and I will add you to my "lol, he likes Brewer's play" list so I know not to debate the issue with you anymore.

:lol: :wink:

At the end of the day we want the same thing...

:letsgoblues:
Hey, I feel odd defending Brewer, but he's an easy target for everyone. There is plenty of blame to go around. And more blame should go to the forward dolts we have running around.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

northwest dave wrote:
not_a_wings_fan wrote:I didn't get to watch this game, but from the recap it appears "Captain Brewer" added to his impressive +/- total again today - two even strength goals and he's a -2 for a perfect night... and led all Blues skaters in TOI. He is now -6 in five games played, and working hard to take over the team lead.

Hear F'ing Hear!! (or is it Here F'ing Here? Meh.. I dunno... you get the idea)

Kariya *has* been my whipping boy for a couple of weeks now. He's been AWFUL. I've been a big fan of his throughout his career, but this signing has been a complete and unmitigated disaster. Boyes is getting chances, and has always been streaky, so this shouldn't be a surprise. He'll break out of it.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Kariya has looked out of place and off, so has Boyes. Pretty much everyone but McClement and his grinders look like they are trying to figure out what to do in this system... which is the whole point I have been making about the offense (or lack of, actually) in this whole thread - The Scheme is not designed for speedy, skilled forwards.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

stlmark wrote:It seems to me that the Blues players are waiting to long to shoot, then the bastards are missing the net when the finally take the shot or it's a weak shot.
:plusplus:

Defensemen at the points ALWAYS setttle the puck before shooting. There are no one-timers from the point. I keep hearing how opposing teams are blocking umpty-squat Blue shots. It's easy when the defensemen ALWAYS settle the puck, and then shoot.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

northwest dave wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Any legitimate reason Eller played < 9 minutes today?
Same reason Berglund didn't...he's wasn't effective. Plus with all the PK's, those minutes go down. Speaking of, what a bad hooking penalty Eller took....that's Eller being a rookie.

And Cam cam got 5:47 useless minutes today as well. He didn't fight, but I did see him bark a few bad words at the other team. :lol:
Not buying it. Eller was effective last night playing 15+ minutes. The excuse is he was ineffective today???? So why is every other forward (minus Janssen's useless minutes) playing 10+ minutes??? (And, yes, that means Kariya, Backes, MacDonald, Boyes, ..... the list goes on).

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

northwest dave wrote:

I'd give it to Brewer since his first game back he was -2; directly responsible for the first goal againt deflecting it into his own net; and blowing the play for the 2nd goal against playing SOFT and not STANDING UP HIS MAN!!! (referring solely to his first game back).

Question for all Blues fans - when is the last time anyone saw Brewer stand someone up - in a one-on-one situation - anywhere on the ice? I haven't seen it ever. He needs to go. His soft play and him wearing the "C" sends the completely wrong message to the entire team.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Why was Bernie doing color? Did they explain it? I didn't get to watch the whole game and came in halfway...

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

kodos wrote:Why was Bernie doing color? Did they explain it? I didn't get to watch the whole game and came in halfway...
Was Pang doing a national game or at the HOF festivities? Bernie is supposed to step in when Pang is gone for those kind of things.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I don't know, but it was hilarious when he was between the benches for the Philly game and made some sort snarky remarks about being allowed to go on the road and how it felt good to be wanted. This whole demotion must be really driving him nuts.

VictorManthing
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by VictorManthing »

SIU LAW wrote:
kodos wrote:Why was Bernie doing color? Did they explain it? I didn't get to watch the whole game and came in halfway...
Was Pang doing a national game or at the HOF festivities? Bernie is supposed to step in when Pang is gone for those kind of things.
Pretty sure they said Panger's doing some stuff at the HOF this week during one of the intermissions.
Let's Go Blooze!!!

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

kodos wrote:I don't know, but it was hilarious when he was between the benches for the Philly game and made some sort snarky remarks about being allowed to go on the road and how it felt good to be wanted. This whole demotion must be really driving him nuts.
I liked how Kelly emphasized "MY PARTNER" Darren Pang when talking about how Mr. Holy Jumpin's at the HOF ceremonies and replaced temporarily by Bernie. Kinda like they're getting their digs in on each other whenever possible.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock