THIS BOARD IS DEAD: AKA GDT Nashville @ STL

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Re: THIS BOARD IS DEAD: AKA GDT Nashville @ STL

Post by northwest dave »

illownyou wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
ohio BLUES wrote:
northwest dave wrote:I blame a curse...or Brewer because it's been determined that he is BAD LUCK.
It sounds like you doubt this.

Go on, tell me about all his successes in the past 5 years or so. What players has he made better because of his stellar defensive play/captaincy? Or, has the case more often been that he needed a certain defenseman paired with him to improve his play?

Has he been a quality power play quarterback?

Is he leading by example on the ice?

Or does he just have an unmistakable stench of losing that trails him everywhere?
No doubt he wasn't playing well last year or the year before. But really, this year he's played well. You have an agenda and it shows. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Since coming to the Blues...

32 GP/-17...that should have been a sign.
82 GP/-10
77 GP/-18
28 GP/-14
6 GP/-7

In seasons, including this one where he has not played much, he is -38 in 66 games.

That is absolutely atrocious, no matter how over-rated you may or may not feel +/- is.
Point taken. Too lazy to look up the rest of the team, but oh well.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

northwest dave wrote:
I think the idea line combos are overrated. All the lines on the team should know the style of play being dictated. Sure, there are certain 'chemistry' things being developed, but a team needs to be able to jumble lines. In today's game it happens all the time. You need players to plug-n-play regularly.
I disagree to a point.

First off, certain lines have their roles. When I played I was on an energy line- generally kick the crap out of the other team. My linemates and I got comfortable being on the ice together, we knew each others strengths and weaknesses without it being said.

what is a team supposed to do when your line has no role? Or worse, you are only given that role before a game starts or its one you aren't comfortable with or you only got it that week at practice and with guys you aren't used to?

Trust me- it really matters who you play with. There are a ton of little things you subconsciously pick up on playing with the same guys- who's quicker on the forecheck, who's got the best outlet passes, is Perron taking that guy or should I drop back? How fast are we breaking out of the zone compaired to how I did it with (insert name), Etc. When you're on the ice and you're wasting 2 seconds making a decision or getting the timing on things down, or where you should be or what you're linemate is going to do- its too late.

When I played on a line that got screwed with (and absolutely without saying- a professional I am not :wink: ) it takes a little time. Two of us would find ourselves forechecking when we we're only doing a 1-2-2 forecheck, maybe I was a little quicker getting to a play than my linemate was because I was used to a faster breakout with my other teammate. Stuff like that.

These guys are pros but they aren't telepathic. Granted you expect a pro to be able to compete competently with whoever they are paired with they aren't superman and there's no substitute for time. Chemistry is a beautiful thing... when you have it.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Nipple dicks

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Aaaaaanndddd, the offense goes right back into the crap pile. :evil:

Not sure if you guys noticed, but Tkachuk was greatly to blame for Nashville's go ahead goal with a few minutes left.
The puck was shot around the boards to him in the Blues zone and he tried to "fancily" one-touch pass to a streaking Blues player behind him who was skating towards the blue line. Tkachuk screwed up, missed it entirely, Tootoo then got the puck, shot and scored. Late in the 3rd period in a tie game, you keep it real simple. You don't try crap like that in your own zone. Granted, Mason should have had the shot...but the shot shouldn't have even happened in the first place. :doh:

Kariya was all over the place, but never really did anything productive. Jesus...talk about a waste of money. Dude isn't doing anything.

Erik Johnson is a stud.

Rinne was excellent...so was Mason, except for the last goal.

The boarding major to Backes was lame. Shoulder to shoulder hit and he goes into the boards. If you are going to give a guy a major and toss him from the game, you had better damn well be sure it is a serious boarding penalty...and it wasn't. Stupid call. And then the ref refused to go over and explain the call to Murray. What a douche.

Loved how Perron gave it to Sullivan in front of the net when Sullivan tried to push Perron around. Perron looked pissed and gave it right back to him, and then some. Sullivan had a shocked look on his face like, "Oh...I didn't think you were going to put up a fight....never mind. I'll skate away now." Awesome. :lol:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

I dislike Brewer as much as the next guy but to bash Brewer after every game is ridiculous we lose 2-1 and it's brewers fault. If you want to hate on Brewer fine but there is no reason his name should be brought up after any of these past losses(aside fromthe Calgary game) our ineptitude is offense not defense. I will admit the defense has been helped greatly by the play of our goalies, but even still we aren't going to win many games scoring 1 goal. Besides our defense as a whole hasn't beeen that great, when Brewer deserves bashin I will be on the train but that isn't yet.

I really hate defending brewer.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

section319 wrote:I dislike Brewer as much as the next guy but to bash Brewer after every game is ridiculous we lose 2-1 and it's brewers fault. If you want to hate on Brewer fine but there is no reason his name should be brought up after any of these past losses(aside fromthe Calgary game) our ineptitude is offense not defense. I will admit the defense has been helped greatly by the play of our goalies, but even still we aren't going to win many games scoring 1 goal. Besides our defense as a whole hasn't beeen that great, when Brewer deserves bashin I will be on the train but that isn't yet.

Let's just blame Paul Kariya. When was the last time we saw him play one good shift? He didn't connect on ANY passes tonight that I can remember. Guy is a lame duck.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

ProngerBlues44 wrote:
section319 wrote:I dislike Brewer as much as the next guy but to bash Brewer after every game is ridiculous we lose 2-1 and it's brewers fault. If you want to hate on Brewer fine but there is no reason his name should be brought up after any of these past losses(aside fromthe Calgary game) our ineptitude is offense not defense. I will admit the defense has been helped greatly by the play of our goalies, but even still we aren't going to win many games scoring 1 goal. Besides our defense as a whole hasn't beeen that great, when Brewer deserves bashin I will be on the train but that isn't yet.

Let's just blame Paul Kariya. When was the last time we saw him play one good shift? He didn't connect on ANY passes tonight that I can remember. Guy is a lame duck.
He's a waste of space.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Make sure you read the P-D story. Bozo the Murray seems to think that PK was one of the best players on the ice last night. He's officially bordering on delusional. He's gotta go, and the sooner the better. If he coaches Saturday, that's our last major break for a while. Someone needs to schedule the Sunday-morning presser.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
“We didn’t play hard enough. We had a goaltender (Mason), who played in Nashville ... (and) was doing everything he could to make sure we had a chance to win. Paul Kariya, another former Nashville player, is battling on every puck and is our best forward. We don’t have enough other guys going.
Absolutely nutty.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Nyghtewynd wrote:http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
“We didn’t play hard enough. We had a goaltender (Mason), who played in Nashville ... (and) was doing everything he could to make sure we had a chance to win. Paul Kariya, another former Nashville player, is battling on every puck and is our best forward. We don’t have enough other guys going.
Absolutely nutty.
This is a Frank'in joke, right? Murrray needs to be committed.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Nyghtewynd wrote:http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
Absolutely nutty.
Wow. Sure he's battling, but he isn't getting it done.

It sucks. The blues played well in the 1st and then just tanked it.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

So, Sydor played over Pietro and Crombeen and McClement were once again playing 18 and 19 minutes again, I know it is inflated by their time on the PK but still.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Someone should alert Mayor Slay, because Kariya is pulling an $18 million heist on the good people of St. Louis.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

ohio BLUES wrote:Someone should alert Mayor Slay, because Kariya is pulling an $18 million heist on the good people of St. Louis.
:letsgoblues: :letsgoblues:

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I see Lars Eller got 6 minutes of ice time.

Ugh.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

kodos wrote:I see Lars Eller got 6 minutes of ice time.

Ugh.
And a demotion to Peoria.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

VictorManthing
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by VictorManthing »

Ugh.
Yeah, but to be fair, he was playing pretty poorly. Tuesday's game too. Eller just got sent down to Peoria. He'll be back though. It's not like anyone thought he was going to stay up all season. Eller's real great on the rush, creating offensive chances, but was pretty transparent in the 1 on 1 battles and in his own zone. He'll be back.
Let's Go Blooze!!!

JWatt (formerly PMS)
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JWatt (formerly PMS) »

VictorManthing wrote:

Ugh.
Yeah, but to be fair, he was playing pretty poorly. Tuesday's game too. Eller just got sent down to Peoria. He'll be back though. It's not like anyone thought he was going to stay up all season. Eller's real great on the rush, creating offensive chances, but was pretty transparent in the 1 on 1 battles and in his own zone. He'll be back.
How can you play well when you get 6 minutes of ice time? You can't even get going.

I'm glad once Backes was kicked out, he put Tkachuk out there with Oshie and Berglund. NOT! Tkachuk coughed up the puck that led to the winning goal.

Why are McClement and Crombeen out there with 2:30 left in the game and we are down one goal? Don't get me wrong, I like McClement, but not in a frenzy to try and tie the game.

For the person who said Brewer only screwed up the Calgary game, you forgot about Florida and Phoenix as well.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

I didn't really notice Brewer all that much last night... translation: it was a good game for Brewer.

Walt is SOOOO past his prime. He can't handle the puck, he doesn't really pass well, and he's not putting himself in positions to do anything other than lose possession. He's glaringly slow. It seems like every time he gets the puck he has his back to the net and then coughs up the puck after slapping it a couple times.

Kariya is on the wrong line. His speed his there, he's trying to create, but either the system or his line mates (both, imo) don't suit his game at all.

Perron has SICK hands. He was again stand-out good even if he didn't get the results that he got the other night. Love the energy, love the passion, love not taking shit from anyone.

Oshie needs to stop watching walt stick handle and start watching perron, lol.

That bording penalty was a complete joke. I hope the league fines the ref, not the player.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

JWatt (formerly PMS) wrote: For the person who said Brewer only screwed up the Calgary game, you forgot about Florida and Phoenix as well.
My point in saying that Brewer only really screwed up against Calgary wasn't in saying he has been playing spectacular or even well, my point was that in most of our losses it is kind of hard to blame Brewer like a lot of people want to do just because. As far as the two games you mention against Phoenix and Florida, we got shut out in both of those games, I find it hard to blame one defensemen even when it is Brewer for a loss when our offense doesn't score a goal. Like I said, I am not saying Brewer doesn't screw up every game but for him to still be the whipping boy during a time when this team finds it hard to score more than one or two goals most nights, isn't right he should be a lot lower on the list than he is for most people.