Kariya

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

TheoSqua
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Kariya

Post by TheoSqua »

cprice12 wrote:And signing Kariya has turned out to be a waste of money, even though I liked the move at the time. Kariya looks done in the NHL..
Having not watched a lot of the games this year, what has Kariya lost that's turned him from a potential offensive leader to a guy on the PK?

He looked great during the start of last season, and i figured getting his hips fixed would make him even better. He looked great the first few games of the season that I watched. And now, ???.

Has he lost his speed? Accuracy? Any ideas?
Official LGB Sponser of 10 year old signatures:

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Kariya

Post by kodos »

He's just getting old and it shows. It's not that he's so terrible, he's just not worth the 6 million bucks at this point.

6 million bucks should get you a premier talent in this day and age.

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

TheoSqua wrote:
cprice12 wrote:And signing Kariya has turned out to be a waste of money, even though I liked the move at the time. Kariya looks done in the NHL..
Having not watched a lot of the games this year, what has Kariya lost that's turned him from a potential offensive leader to a guy on the PK?

He looked great during the start of last season, and i figured getting his hips fixed would make him even better. He looked great the first few games of the season that I watched. And now, ???.

He was playing with McClement and Crombeen last night if that gives you any idea as to why he's not scoring much...

And he's turned into a fine 3rd line checker in Andy Murray's system.

:roll:
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

VictorManthing
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by VictorManthing »

He looks scared and frustrated to me. He floats around and seems unwilling to pay the price to either skate hard or go into the tough areas for pucks. My opinion is that it's all in his head.
Let's Go Blooze!!!

illownyou
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by illownyou »

BSF

Bigger, Stronger, Faster...

He still has great speed, but he is small and he seems to have forgotten how to remain effective despite his size.

I think he needs to be traded.
Formerly known as ledzeppelinfan1...

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

He works hard, but he just gets pushed off of the puck too easy and is constantly wedged off of the puck along the boards.
He never seems to be able to get his shot off in a good scoring position. When he does get shots off, he is at a horrible angle.
He's not coming even remotely close to earning his money...which means he needs to go, because he's wasting money that could be used on someone else who may be a good investment and be worth the money, which means he is hurting the team.

Working hard doesn't mean much to me if you aren't getting results. I can go out there and work my ass off for this team, but it's not going to help them win.

Just put up W's...I don't care how.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

he lost his youth.

I obviously have seen very few games, being here in New York and all, and the online feeds that I've watched have been choppy at best, so I can't say with a degree of complete certainty and I'll ask this... does it seem as though Kariya and the other vets are sucking in part because they just can't keep up with the speed of the younger guys?
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

glen a richter wrote:he lost his youth.

I obviously have seen very few games, being here in New York and all, and the online feeds that I've watched have been choppy at best, so I can't say with a degree of complete certainty and I'll ask this... does it seem as though Kariya and the other vets are sucking in part because they just can't keep up with the speed of the younger guys?
Kariya still has the speed to keep up, but he no longer has the speed to blow past guys, which always helped because he is tiny out there. So instead of cutting around guys in the offensive zone, he pulls up and looks to pass to people who aren't open or are wearing the other jersey. Repeat, fail, repeat, etc.

His even strength effectiveness is gone, but taking him off the power play where he at least has a chance to exercise some skill... that just kills me.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Here's some fun...

This is the amount of money our "scoring" forwards are getting paid per point.

(It's their yearly salary, pro-rated for 17 games, divided by points scored... I did not factor in any games missed due to injury)

Kariya $180,000 per point
(Paid $1,260,000 for 7 points)

Backes $177,000 per point
(Paid $530,000 for 3 points)

McDonald $82,000 per point
(Paid $980,000 for 12 points)

Boyes $76,000 per point
(Paid $840,000 for 11 points)

Berglund $67,500 per point
(Paid $270,000 for 4 points)

Tkachuk $60,000 per point
(Paid $540,000 for 9 points)

Oshie $45,000 per point
(Paid $270,000 for 6 points)

Perron $17,000 per point
(Paid $190,000 for 11 points)
Last edited by kodos on Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

180 large just doesn't buy what it used to. :facepalm:
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

zomg, Backes has 37 points already?

I think you have a wee bit of a typo there....

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

I agree that Kariya's numbers haven't been worth 6 mil. But he did get folks re-engergized about the Blues and a lot of folks bought into this currenty ownership group/regime when he was signed. It showed that the Blues were serious when they went out and got a marquee (at the time) free agent on a team struggling to find talent and an identity.

I'm not sure if that was worth 6 million smackeroos a year, but you have to admit, it did help this club inch closer back to respectability. I mean...they've at least got expectations on them now, whereas that wasn't the case even 11 months ago. That's not all Pauly's doing, but it signaled the start of things kicking in after drafting Oshie, EJ, Berglund, Eller, Cole, and Perron, etc.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

glen a richter wrote:zomg, Backes has 37 points already?

I think you have a wee bit of a typo there....

Yeah, it should be a 3. I fixed it.

In other news... DAVID BACKES HAS THREE F***ING POINTS THIS YEAR.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

In his time in Nashville and when he first came to St. Louis, it seemed like Kariya had one really effective move that he used a lot. He would carry the puck across the blue line with speed, getting the defenseman to skate backwards quickly to cover him, and then suddenly pull up short. The defenseman would take a second to react and stop moving backwards, which gave Kariya just enough separation to either slide over and take a shot or dish the puck off to somebody else following him into the zone. I think I've seen him do that once all year, and I don't know why.

He has never been very effective at the point on the power play, but Murray kept using him there. With EJ, Cola, and Petro, I don't see why Kariya should be on the point. Put him down low where he can cycle and get the puck to Tkachuk in front of the net.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

It's funny, we were talking about this very thing at work recently, about how Alex Rodriguez gets paid more for 2 strikeouts than we get paid for an entire years salary.

These numbers are outrageous. Earn your overbloated paychecks, guys.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

not_a_wings_fan wrote:
TheoSqua wrote:

He was playing with McClement and Crombeen last night if that gives you any idea as to why he's not scoring much...

And he's turned into a fine 3rd line checker in Andy Murray's system.

:roll:
He's been demoted for a reason. It's been 10 games since he had a goal...that would be Oct 20th. He hasn't had an assist since Oct 23rd.

If he wasn't demoted, people would complain that Murray is too easy on the vets.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

Sweetred95ta
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Sweetred95ta »

Paul Kariya is an offensive guy playing in a defensive system. He has never been a defensive star. He's scored almost a 1,000 points in his career and is only a plus 35. What do you guys expect his production to be like?
I love hockey. Period.

drwoland
All-Star
All-Star

Post by drwoland »

Paul Kariya isn't scoring for the same reason that Boyes and Berglund aren't scoring. Why aren't those two on the PP together like they were early last year, when they were KILLING it?

Oh that's right. Murray has dementia, so he doesn't remember.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

glen a richter wrote:It's funny, we were talking about this very thing at work recently, about how Alex Rodriguez gets paid more for 2 strikeouts than we get paid for an entire years salary.

These numbers are outrageous. Earn your overbloated paychecks, guys.
Yea ESPN was kind enough to put together a little calculator comparing yours and my salary to various professional athletes. It's only slightly disheartening, at least in my case. Maybe there are some jammy bastards in here who make bank but I really doubt it would still compare to these....

Salary Crunch
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cprice12 wrote:He works hard, but he just gets pushed off of the puck too easy and is constantly wedged off of the puck along the boards.
He never seems to be able to get his shot off in a good scoring position. When he does get shots off, he is at a horrible angle.
This is a perfect description of Paulie’s play right now.

It isn’t his effort. It’s lack of execution, and he’s getting the big bucks for results, not effort.

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund