Dave Checketts Unhappy With Blues' Effort

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Dave Checketts Unhappy With Blues' Effort

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Well this is surprising. I assumed he'd be thrilled with the teams performance so far...

:ninja:
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Felix
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Felix »

theboat wrote:
cprice12 wrote:Yeah, gotta disagree with the "Premiere coaching" statement. That's just not true.
What has Murray ever done to warrant being called a "premiere coach"?
I hope he's gone before December...but I doubt he will be. He'll be around until at least Xmas.

We do have great young talent and excellent goaltending...not so sure about having terrific veteran leadership though.
Brewer? No.
Jackman? No.
Kariya? No.
Tkachuk? No.
None of those guys are leading by example on the ice. At least not enough to be called, "terrific" in terms of leadership.
If we had terrific veteran leadership, we'd have a much better record.
The leaders on the ice are the kids...not the veterans.

Don't talk about leadership...show me leadership or get the F out of the way.

Checketts and J.D. should assume some responsibility too. They're the ones who extended Brewer's contract and bought out McKee, when they should have flip flopped the decision making process with those two. Should have bought out Brewer and extended McKee's contract. And signing Kariya has turned out to be a waste of money, even though I liked the move at the time. Kariya looks done in the NHL.

We still need a "top 10" forward...and there isn't currently one in the organization. Gonna have to visit the free agent pool in the offseason.

Kovalchuck? I'm probably dreaming, but it would be nice.
I'm afraid free angent pool this offseason will not bring us that "top 10" forward...
Actually I had high hopes for free agents. But we do not want simply a free agent. We want a player who could lead by example, be a face of organization etc. And I suppose no one would like to have another 6 mil guy playing like Kariya.
Having made inquiry into available free agents this offseason i've just got disappointed 'cause I just see no one who'd suit our needs. Maybe (and this is a big maybe) Kovalchuk unless he resigns with Atlanta as rumors suggest.
And even if we get rid of Kariya and Walt at the end of the season (approx. 8 mil) let's not forget that some of our kid are due raises this offseason and some next off season. So that is not as simple to sign to 10 FA as it seems finances wise.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Felix wrote:
theboat wrote:
cprice12 wrote:Yeah, gotta disagree with the "Premiere coaching" statement. That's just not true.
I hope he's gone before December...but I doubt he will be. He'll be around until at least Xmas.

We do have great young talent and excellent goaltending...not so sure about having terrific veteran leadership though.
Brewer? No.
Jackman? No.
Kariya? No.
Tkachuk? No.
None of those guys are leading by example on the ice. At least not enough to be called, "terrific" in terms of leadership.

Checketts and J.D. should assume some responsibility too. They're the ones who extended Brewer's contract and bought out McKee, when they should have flip flopped the decision making process with those two. Should have bought out Brewer and extended McKee's contract. And signing Kariya has turned out to be a waste of money, even though I liked the move at the time. Kariya looks done in the NHL.

We still need a "top 10" forward...and there isn't currently one in the organization. Gonna have to visit the free agent pool in the offseason.

I'm afraid free angent pool this offseason will not bring us that "top 10" forward...
Actually I had high hopes for free agents. But we do not want simply a free agent. We want a player who could lead by example, be a face of organization etc. And I suppose no one would like to have another 6 mil guy playing like Kariya.
Having made inquiry into available free agents this offseason i've just got disappointed 'cause I just see no one who'd suit our needs. Maybe (and this is a big maybe) Kovalchuk unless he resigns with Atlanta as rumors suggest.
And even if we get rid of Kariya and Walt at the end of the season (approx. 8 mil) let's not forget that some of our kid are due raises this offseason and some next off season. So that is not as simple to sign to 10 FA as it seems finances wise.
Let's be honest, we've got a great young core but there's probably nobody on the offensive side who will be as productive as a Kovalchuk type player. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if we actually traded some of our younger guys for this very reason. We NEED a player of Kovalchuk's caliber on this team. Otherwise I'm afraid we might just be treading water. Can we get it done with the group we have? It's hard to say. If you asked me in March of last season I would have said yes. If you ask me today I'm not as optimistic.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

Felix
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Felix »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
Felix wrote:
theboat wrote:

Brewer? No.
Jackman? No.
Kariya? No.
Tkachuk? No.

Let's be honest, we've got a great young core but there's probably nobody on the offensive side who will be as productive as a Kovalchuk type player. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if we actually traded some of our younger guys for this very reason. We NEED a player of Kovalchuk's caliber on this team. Otherwise I'm afraid we might just be treading water. Can we get it done with the group we have? It's hard to say. If you asked me in March of last season I would have said yes. If you ask me today I'm not as optimistic.
In general I agree. Kovalchuk would definitely be the best player for the Blues (on offense). He'll definitely be the most talented and will always lead the team in points. He'll almost surely make this team more competitive and will bring more people to the seats. The only question mark in him for me is can he bring necessary amount of leadership?
Any way he'll want around 7-8 mil and that means if we trade for him we must shed some salary in return.

But maybe just let's tank this year, trade away Karia, Walt, Brewer for whatever we get in return, let the kid develop this year, pick in top 5 and start e new season?

thedoc
All-Star
All-Star

Post by thedoc »

We have 18 games in Dec. We can not afford to wait much more than a week on a coaching change.

Official Sponsor of "The Barn"
2013-2014 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2012-2013 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2011-2012 Official Sponsor of David "Captain America" Backes
2010-2011 Official Sponsor of Brad Winchester
2009-2010 Official Sponsor of Paul Kariya

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

Great speech, Dave. Fat lot of good that did.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Get in line Checketts. You think you have it bad? You've been following the Blues for, what... three years? I've had to put up with this shit for 20+.

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by xbleed83bluex »

Dave Checketts for coach! haha
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.