Who would you give up for Ovechkin?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Re: Who would you give up for Ovechkin?

Postby WaukeeBlues » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:39 am

xbleed83bluex wrote:
But playing along with your hypo: ANY 4 or 5 names on our roster and probably 2-3 first rounders. Five max. There's no price that's too high for this guy. NONE.


Wow, that's kind of pushing it - 5 first rounders? I don't know if I'd go that far.


I would :lol:

The funny part is that even by giving up any 4 or 5 guys on our roster we would still have a decent size stockpile of previous first round draft picks in the system.

:facepalm:
Image
User avatar
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4703
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Phi Alpha

Re: Who would you give up for Ovechkin?

Postby glen a richter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:56 am

STLADOGG wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:I'm not sure that the Caps would accept the entire Blues roster for Ovechkin.


Including all of Peoria, all of Alaska and a shitload of draft picks. Ovechkin is just the best there is today and there is no way whatsoever that he will be traded.


remember that one guy...uhhh whats his name.....oh Gretzky


Remember when I said...what was it... oh, the best there is TODAY.
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
LGB sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
LGB sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
LGB sponsor of Ian Cole (again) 2014-2015
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7511
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Who would you give up for Ovechkin?

Postby ohio BLUES » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:12 am

glen a richter wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:I'm not sure that the Caps would accept the entire Blues roster for Ovechkin.


Including all of Peoria, all of Alaska and a shitload of draft picks. Ovechkin is just the best there is today and there is no way whatsoever that he will be traded.


remember that one guy...uhhh whats his name.....oh Gretzky


Remember when I said...what was it... oh, the best there is TODAY.

I think our friend DOGG is referring to people who said Gretzky would never be traded from Edmonton.

The Caps don't have the financial problems that troubled the Oilers but that doesn't mean they never will. Ovechkin may be traded away but it won't be for years, and certainly not for anything the Blues could offer.
Image

Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock
User avatar
ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 10346
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:42 pm

Re: Who would you give up for Ovechkin?

Postby STLADOGG » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:50 pm

ohio BLUES wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
STLADOGG wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:I'm not sure that the Caps would accept the entire Blues roster for Ovechkin.


Including all of Peoria, all of Alaska and a shitload of draft picks. Ovechkin is just the best there is today and there is no way whatsoever that he will be traded.


remember that one guy...uhhh whats his name.....oh Gretzky


Remember when I said...what was it... oh, the best there is TODAY.

I think our friend DOGG is referring to people who said Gretzky would never be traded from Edmonton.

The Caps don't have the financial problems that troubled the Oilers but that doesn't mean they never will. Ovechkin may be traded away but it won't be for years, and certainly not for anything the Blues could offer.


yea thats what i meant thought you would've known
Image
Official Stalker of Paul "Speedy Gonzalez" Kariya
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
TW Tiger Woods TW
User avatar
STLADOGG
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2308
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: -Saint Freaking Louis-

Re: Who would you give up for Ovechkin?

Postby kodos » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:34 pm

As much as I like Ovetchkin, he's not going to keep up this pace for long. There is a trend of amazing young European players coming over, absolutely dominating in the early stages of their career, losing their fire and settling into a more normal pace.

Jagr, Selanne, Bure, Mogilny... and many others to a lesser degree...

All of these people looked like they might be the next Gretzky or Lemieux early in their careers, and then whatever fire was burning in their belly went out and they settled into a more normal pace.

Ovetchkin will burn out. No one plays with that much passion forever. Not many anyway.
Image
User avatar
kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 11893
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:05 pm

Re: Who would you give up for Ovechkin?

Postby cprice12 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:24 pm

kodos wrote:As much as I like Ovetchkin, he's not going to keep up this pace for long. There is a trend of amazing young European players coming over, absolutely dominating in the early stages of their career, losing their fire and settling into a more normal pace.

Jagr, Selanne, Bure, Mogilny... and many others to a lesser degree...

All of these people looked like they might be the next Gretzky or Lemieux early in their careers, and then whatever fire was burning in their belly went out and they settled into a more normal pace.

Ovetchkin will burn out. No one plays with that much passion forever. Not many anyway.


Don't forget Federov

With the style Ovechkin plays, he may very well start to suffer frequent injuries as well. The guy plays like a wrecking ball out there.
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19695
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Who would you give up for Ovechkin?

Postby WaukeeBlues » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:24 pm

kodos wrote:As much as I like Ovetchkin, he's not going to keep up this pace for long. There is a trend of amazing young European players coming over, absolutely dominating in the early stages of their career, losing their fire and settling into a more normal pace.


I guess if you consider a "normal pace" at a point per game then you're on to something :lol: All the guys you listed were way more often than not at a point per game and I would've taken any of them on the Blues during any season over at least a decade+ stretch of their careers so I have no clue what point you're trying to make.

Jagr? From 1994 to 2006 the guy won 5 Art Ross Trophies and 3 Lester B. Pearson's. Give me a break.

I see no reason why Ovechkin could keep the current pace another 4-8 seasons. Lemieux and Gretzky are special players because they are categories alone to themselves. I've always felt any comparison's to them as ridiculous.
Image
User avatar
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4703
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Phi Alpha

Previous

Return to St. Louis Blues Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Portland Blues, STLADOGG, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests