Trade Speculation

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Sweetred95ta
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Re: Trade Speculation

Post by Sweetred95ta »

ohio BLUES wrote:If we're giving crap we're going to get some crap in return. But that trade is worth it for Kaberle alone, and I'll bet Stempy will produce again when the spotlight's not on him so much.
Kaberle would be nice, but I just don't think there would be room for a Stempniak type player on this team. We've got other guys that could play and produce. I doubt Brewer and Kariya would go (that's $10 million in salary). Toronto's back is already against the wall with cap space.
I love hockey. Period.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Yeah, just what need... another 20-goals a yearish depth guy.

No thanks.

Unless it means no more Brewer.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

Return of teh Mayers???!!
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

Most recent Blues trade... what was it?? I can't recall...

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:Most recent Blues trade... what was it?? I can't recall...
It's been a while.

Danny Richmond at the trade deadline last season?

One that meant anything? No idea.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Looking at this roster, the only reason I can think of to make a trade is to shake things up and maybe light a fire under some of these players. That being said, idk why you would trade any one and I don't see any glaring needs. If you make a trade, it has to be for an impact player with a proven track record of high-end offensive output. That also means you are going to give up the moon in return, and I don't think this club is going to do that unless they are truly a player or two from winning a Stanley Cup.

There is a push to trade Brewer, but what do you want in return for him? Sure you can say "Crosby" but ffs be real about it. Unless he can play all three spots on his line at the same time this year and for the coming five years we don't have first round picks - cause that's what it would take - he isn't worth trading for.

Realistically, who is a top offensive guy that would even be remotely available for a package of players and or picks?

Trade Sydor for picks or future considerations? Sure, but only if you plan on playing Pie this year - which isn't going to happen with Murray @ the helm. And this is a move that looks AWESOME at the trade deadline when a contender is hurting for depth on the blue-line.

I think trade rumors right now are just that, rumors.
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

Felix
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Felix »

The only player Blues might be interested on Leafs roster is Kaberle. He is the asset. And he would make immediate impact on our play. Having acquired Kaberle the Blues would have their top 4 D set for the years and it'd be one of the best and well balanced in NHL (IMHO): EJ - Polak, Kaberle - Jackman. The rest - Cola, Weaver, Sydor whatever.
Seriously, I have suspicion that the management having made the statement "we must win now" may have understanding that it will take at least several years for Pietro to come to the level of No 2-3 D or maybe even longer. Kaberle is ready to play and produce(if the management knows he is available). Who else of such caliber is available on the market? I do not know.
From the other side you have to give to get. Toronto would definitely want some assets for him (especially top prospects). Besides, we have to consider salaries coming both ways... Maybe the management is ready to give up on Pietro in order to get something.
In this respect what about: Kaberle +Ponikarovsky (approx. 7-8 mil. combined) for Pietro, Brewer and maybe + draft pick (around 7 mil.combined counting Pie's salary).

Basically this deal is about Kaberle for Pietro. Throwing Brewer - is just getting rid of his contract and evening salaries for the deal. Ponikarovsky - is a good 3-4 liner capable of 10-15 goals who could provide depth this season and may stay for the next one in order to fill the gaps when Kariya and Walt leave. Any opinions?

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

meh! screw trading anyone.
get rid of Murray and this team will be good to go!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

maybe we can get a 1st round pick from them....

oh wait, yeah.

Burke is a dumbass. As painful as it is right now being a Blues fan, at least we're not Leafs fans.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

glen a richter wrote:maybe we can get a 1st round pick from them....

oh wait, yeah.

Burke is a dumbass. As painful as it is right now being a Blues fan, at least we're not Leafs fans.
:plusplus: :plusplus:

Leafs fans may not realize it, but Burke is burning that team slowly. They will be in shambles when Burke is finally revealed as a bumbling idiot in Toronto and he loses his job.
2009-10 LGB Sponsor of Davis "Major" Payne
2010-11 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2011-12 LGB Sponsor of NHL All-Star Brian Elliott
2012-13 LGB Sponsor of Jaroslav Halak

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I really think that it would be suicide to trade Petro for a "win now." The defense is obviously still a few years from cup caliber, but you don't trade Petro to speed it up, that's not an answer. From what I've seen of Petro, he's already got steady positional play and will be huge in keeping around in the future.

The Blues stockpile of picks and prospects is deep enough that, FOR THE RIGHT DEAL, I would be far more willing to part with an offensive prospect, a dman not named Johnson or Pietrangelo and possibly a pick to get that one or two other players that could really start to push this team over the edge.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Sweetred95ta
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Sweetred95ta »

Felix wrote:In this respect what about: Kaberle +Ponikarovsky (approx. 7-8 mil. combined) for Pietro, Brewer and maybe + draft pick (around 7 mil.combined counting Pie's salary).

Basically this deal is about Kaberle for Pietro. Throwing Brewer - is just getting rid of his contract and evening salaries for the deal. Ponikarovsky - is a good 3-4 liner capable of 10-15 goals who could provide depth this season and may stay for the next one in order to fill the gaps when Kariya and Walt leave. Any opinions?
That actually doesn't sound like a bad trade. I think you have Ponikarovsky underrated some. He had 61 points (23g/38a) last year and has 8 goals in 22 games this year. He could definitely provide more offensive support than 10-15 goals and just be a depth guy. Like you said, Kaberle (turning 32 next March) would be the main focus of the trade.
I love hockey. Period.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

Felix wrote:In this respect what about: Kaberle +Ponikarovsky (approx. 7-8 mil. combined) for Pietro, Brewer and maybe + draft pick (around 7 mil.combined counting Pie's salary).
Is it wrong that the only reason that I like this trade is because it means dumping Brewer's contract? I would do anything at this point to see him leave this team.

Felix
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Felix »

Sweetred95ta wrote:

That actually doesn't sound like a bad trade. I think you have Ponikarovsky underrated some. He had 61 points (23g/38a) last year and has 8 goals in 22 games this year. He could definitely provide more offensive support than 10-15 goals and just be a depth guy. Like you said, Kaberle (turning 32 next March) would be the main focus of the trade.
Well, I just could not expect more from Ponikarovsky under Murray :wink:

Felix
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Felix »

WaukeeBlues wrote:I really think that it would be suicide to trade Petro for a "win now." The defense is obviously still a few years from cup caliber, but you don't trade Petro to speed it up, that's not an answer. From what I've seen of Petro, he's already got steady positional play and will be huge in keeping around in the future.

The Blues stockpile of picks and prospects is deep enough that, FOR THE RIGHT DEAL, I would be far more willing to part with an offensive prospect, a dman not named Johnson or Pietrangelo and possibly a pick to get that one or two other players that could really start to push this team over the edge.
OK, so let's just play Petro :wink: wait for 2-3 years untill he matures and untill maybe Berglund, Eller will come up to their potential and then try to win. But in such case it would be better to get rid of Brewer now for whatever we can, trade Kariya to get some picks and (forgive my) tank the season in order to grab some top-end talent instead of missing playoffs and drafting with 14th...

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

Felix wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:I really think that it would be suicide to trade Petro for a "win now." The defense is obviously still a few years from cup caliber, but you don't trade Petro to speed it up, that's not an answer. From what I've seen of Petro, he's already got steady positional play and will be huge in keeping around in the future.

OK, so let's just play Petro :wink: wait for 2-3 years untill he matures and untill maybe Berglund, Eller will come up to their potential and then try to win. But in such case it would be better to get rid of Brewer now for whatever we can, trade Kariya to get some picks and (forgive my) tank the season in order to grab some top-end talent instead of missing playoffs and drafting with 14th...

That isn't going to happen, we aren't missing the playoffs this year.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

section319 wrote:
Felix wrote:

That isn't going to happen, we aren't missing the playoffs this year.
Sorry, with how good the conference it is possible. I wouldn't bet against it.

section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by section319 »

No man, it isn't going to happen.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.

JPonder94
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JPonder94 »

section319 wrote:No man, it isn't going to happen.
My head is going to explode....can't tell if.... serious.....

Felix
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by Felix »

I'd like to be wrong but I have that feeling...you know... we'll miss payoffs :?