Report: Kane, Toews, and Keith re-sign with the Hawks

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Report: Kane, Toews, and Keith re-sign with the Hawks

Post by deadphish »

Ruutu15 wrote:I understand why you're frustrated. You just watched your rival cement its roster long term. We can all argue whether or not the loophole should be closed, or even if the NHL should penalize teams for finding a legal workaround to a contract that THEY agreed to. Frontloaded contracts are nothing new, and the only person who could possibly be hurt by it is the player himself. If anyone on the team is worth locking down for 13 years, it's Duncan Keith (and Toews as well). This obviously adds protection of sorts if he gets injured or slows down in the future. Keith obviously has no problem for playing for what will likely amount to be peanuts 10 years from now, or he wouldn't have signed it.

You don't want teams to lock down their young players? For all of the Keiths, Kanes, Toews, and Seabrooks, I've had to endure the Vorobievs, Babchucks, and Radulovs. Why should the Hawks not be able to keep the guys that they've drafted, should they show the desire to sign long term?

Want some of your own Duncan Keiths and Patrick Kanes? Here's an idea, hire better scouts and draft better.
Our scouts are as good if not better than yours. Your team got some pretty high picks IIRC. You can't draft someone who has been taken.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

Jackman_the_Iceman
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Jackman_the_Iceman »

Ruutu15 wrote: Want some of your own Duncan Keiths and Patrick Kanes? Here's an idea, hire better scouts and draft better.
Or we could suck for 10 years like the Hawks did and get lucky with some of our picks.

Steve Levy Sucks
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Steve Levy Sucks »

Jackman_the_Iceman wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote: Want some of your own Duncan Keiths and Patrick Kanes? Here's an idea, hire better scouts and draft better.
Or we could suck for 10 years like the Hawks did and get lucky with some of our picks.
The Hawks still suck. They haven't won anything, and long term contracts or not, I don't see that changing anytime soon. They can have all the taxi-fare-evading & non-goal-scoring-in-the-playoff pussies they want on their team, the fact remains - it's still Chicago we are talking about here.

Steve Levy Sucks
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Steve Levy Sucks »

This here is some funny shit
[Dooger] 6:49 pm: You have me mistaken with a man who has sex with other men...like
SLS does.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

Ruutu15 wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:13 years....

lawlz.
13 years is a long time, but Keith is one of the two players on the roster that I would think of giving that contract to. One, he's young but has been in the league long enough to have a good gauge on how his career is going to turn out. Knock on wood, he's proven to be very durable. Second, they had to structure the contract that way due to cap purposes. On the open market, Keith is a maximum contract player. The NHL can complain all they want about that loophole, but they signed the same contract that the NHLPA did.
I'm just laughing at the sheer absurdity of a 13 year contract in general and how it makes a mockery of the league, not who it was awarded to.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:

lawlz.
13 years is a long time, but Keith is one of the two players on the roster that I would think of giving that contract to. One, he's young but has been in the league long enough to have a good gauge on how his career is going to turn out. Knock on wood, he's proven to be very durable. Second, they had to structure the contract that way due to cap purposes. On the open market, Keith is a maximum contract player. The NHL can complain all they want about that loophole, but they signed the same contract that the NHLPA did.
I'm just laughing at the sheer absurdity of a 13 year contract in general and how it makes a mockery of the league, not who it was awarded to.
:plusplus: Think of your education... you're in Kindergarden. You like it in Kindergarden and the school that you're in. Hmm.. I think at age 5, I'll sign a contract that will let me finish my elementary, middle, and high school education at the same place. I just hope when I'm 18 I still like it as much as I did when I was 5 and won't want to try a new place. Yes a stretched example, but you get it. Just kinda silly that's all. 5 years would have been my max signing with a team like Chicago. You like it, you sign longer. Not just jump the gun and sign 13 years.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:

lawlz.
:plusplus: Think of your education... you're in Kindergarden. You like it in Kindergarden and the school that you're in. Hmm.. I think at age 5, I'll sign a contract that will let me finish my elementary, middle, and high school education at the same place. I just hope when I'm 18 I still like it as much as I did when I was 5 and won't want to try a new place. Yes a stretched example, but you get it. Just kinda silly that's all. 5 years would have been my max signing with a team like Chicago. You like it, you sign longer. Not just jump the gun and sign 13 years.
Why 'a team like Chicago'? Since the old man died, his son has proven that he has no problem in spending to the cap to build a winner.

philco_3
All-Star
All-Star

Post by philco_3 »

Maybe the Blues can sign EJ and Perron to 13 year mega cheap deals.
2009-2010 LGB Official Sponsor of Roman Polak
2010-2011 LGB Official Sponsor of the Brad Boyes 2011 2nd round draft pick.
2011-2012 LGB Official Sponsor of "The Russian" Evgeny Grachev
2013 LGB Official Sponsor of David Perron
2013-2014 LGB Official Sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester

9-7-11 We Will Never Forget.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

Ruutu15 wrote: Why 'a team like Chicago'? Since the old man died, his son has proven that he has no problem in spending to the cap to build a winner.
Sorry, they just had so many rough years before they got good again. Plus Chicago has a lot of gangs. :-)

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.